Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill and Tap 2011 mag release

mildot1

I would like to add a extended mag release to my eagle. Can't be that tuff to do unless it is hardened steel? Any one ever done it??

Thanks for the help

Brad

Needs to be heated up and then let cool before you can drill it.

BK

They are harder than woodpecker lips. The good news is the end of the broken tap can be ground off flush and you can still use it LOL. I have drilled and tapped ONE, ruined the drill bit and the tap, plus it took me 20 minutes to get it done. No way that pays when I can buy one for $30.

EDIT: The worst part about it was I put the button on and went to a steel match. Bang click F*$K!! Maybe it was just a bad grab, and I have a throw away run. Next run, bang click F&$K!!! Eating an empty chamber reload in a steel match is not a good thing. Took it off and threw it after shooting 3 more strings with my left hand barely touching the gun, ate another 3 or 4 seconds I didn't need to have added on. I have tried ALL of the buttons out there and I drop mags with all of them on a 2011. The funny part is on a single stack I can use a small button....

Edited by HSMITH

I would like to add a extended mag release to my eagle. Can't be that tuff to do unless it is hardened steel? Any one ever done it??

Thanks for the help

Brad

Needs to be heated up and then let cool before you can drill it.

BK

Yep, get it hot enough to be dark red, not glowing orange, let it cool and it'll drill easily. Ask me how I found that one out....lol. Broken tap, hole not in the center and a trashed release!

I have tried ALL of the buttons out there and I drop mags with all of them on a 2011.

Now Howard, that's not true, you've not tried them all :D

The most important thing I've found is the stock STI spring doesn't last too long. I've replaced them with Wolff extra power mag catch springs, no more mag drop.

I have tried ALL of the buttons out there and I drop mags with all of them on a 2011.

Now Howard, that's not true, you've not tried them all :D

The most important thing I've found is the stock STI spring doesn't last too long. I've replaced them with Wolff extra power mag catch springs, no more mag drop.

LOL, might be true, I have spent the cost of a decent production rig on them though! Even with the extra power spring it is bang click F&$K! The closest I got was milling one down so that with the button on it the release was the same height as no button on a stock unit, then I ground the button down where it was just a small tab extending back and slightly up to cut down the reach for my thumb. I only dropped one mag in 150 rounds, but that is one more than I can accept.