Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheryl Leck passed away

A. Miguel

There was a nice service for Cheryl this afternoon. There were quite a few of the shooters from back in the days when she was active there and many folks from the community. Don Hardy was makeing a list of who attented, maybe he will be along with thier names. Cheryl was 47 and shes gone, but we remember.--------------Larry

Many shooters showed up today to lay Cheryl Leck to rest. Commensurate with her involvement in our sport, it seemed like a who's who of IPSC in this area. Cheryl's family came over one by one to thank us for coming from so many far corners, and quite honestly, I was proud to stand among these individuals today who represented our sport.

Allow me to give a quick rundown of the shooters whom I knew:

Our Area 4 Director Ken Hicks drove the farthest. As I sat in the pew behind him and I considered the SIX HOUR drive he made to say goodbye, I thought about the criticisms of Hicks, and about how I'm going to castigate the next shooter who gripes.

Dave Skinner ... is just a damn good dude. He was Cheryl's friend -- and in this case I use the term "friend" with reverence. He stood by her through the tough times, and was in the process of helping her get back on her feet. Skinner truly is the kind of friend in life we all hope to have.

David Cupp, like the others who were there today, is definitely part of the "Old Guard." He is A1786. That's about as low as they get. And Cupp is the salt of the Earth.

Marisa Hogan was also a close friend who stood by Cheryl through the hard times. It's funny how life is filled with twists and turns. Today, she dabbed her eyes and said, "In my will, I listed Cheryl as the person who would handle MY funeral."

Kevin Coats ... a name I've heard forever. He was once a top shooter. He left IPSC when his eyes caught up to his age -- but with a 12 year old boy who wants to shoot, we may be seeing him on the range again soon.

Larry White. Everyone knows Larry. Simple. Unpretentious. Often blunt in his honesty, but never overbearing. Like all the other shooters who attended, Larry is just a good dude.

Paul and Paula Payne. Their gentility usually makes them conspicuous among shooters, but in this crowd they were the standard.

The funeral was as nice as a funeral can be. A small Catholic church, set way out in the country, presided by a charming polish priest. But truly, I left today with a realization: the people of IPSC who are most involved in the work and administration of our sport ... truly are the cream of the crop. Cheryl was one of them. She worked hard for USPSA events. I was proud to have known her. And the shooters who attended her funeral today were a great reflection on her life -- and a great reflection on our sport.

Don Hardy

Hi there I am not a shooter, just an old friend of Cheryl's that knew her before she ever started shooting. I would like to say Thank you to all her shooter friends that were there. Oh by the way my name is Lynn Kimbrel May....I moved back to Texas in 98 with the help of Cheryl. We had been friends since our sons were babies about 23 yrs. I used to help her get shooter packets together for matches and even came to the Make a Wish match to help her in Castroville in 98, the same year we had the flood and SO many of ya'll came here to help clean up & a bunch of you stayed at my house while you were here. I saw a few I knew by face & remembered yesterday. Bill Luick, Dave Skinner, Kevin Coats, Bill Blankenship.

It was a beautiful service both Tuesday night & Wednesday. I can tell you all that came & those that could not make it Cheryl loved each and everyone of you. Ya'll were her family also. What a loss but I do know she is at peace and in no more pain.

I just wanted to say thank you for kind and thoughtful words for a lady and dear friend of mine that so many thought so much of. My life has been enriched for having known Cheryl Leck and I learned some new things also in her passing.

Thank you for allowing me this time to say Thank You to all of you. You meant more to Cheryl than you could ever know, it was a sad day in her life when she got out of the business.

God Bless you all!

Lynn Kimbrel May

Cuero, Texas

Edited by lynn may

I was shocked when I first read this. Then I felt a great emptiness inside, a deep sense of loss, even though I have not talked to Cheryl for many years.

I first met her at an Area 4 match in Texarkana where she was working as the prize table and sponsor coordinator. She worked constantly for the sport and the people in it. She had a profound impact on the sport, its people and myself. Even though competitors we became friends and strategic partners in the business. We hung out at matches, worked shot shows together and even worked on some matches together. She was a big part of bringing me into the STI family.

I am sorry it took this for me to realize what she meant to me and to this sport.

I did not get to say this in person but hopefully she will see it now.

Thank You Cheryl.