Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheryl Leck passed away

A. Miguel

WOW!!!! i was just trying to remember who it was that had the business back when I started shooting, i couldn't remember their names and I came upon this thread and there it was.

I can recall a lot of good that the Lecks did for shooting, its ironic that I was just thinking of them this weekend.

Trapr

As many of you know, Cheryl went through some tough times these last few years. But personally, I remember her as the beautiful, energetic lady who was very involved with USPSA shooting through the 90's. She was always willing to help new shooters, and she considered all of her customers to be her personal friends. Our sport certainly benefitted by her involvement.

For me, she was the first USPSA member I spoke with. I got her phone number from a 1995 Front Sight advertisement for the Texas Riviera Match. I'll always remember her enthusiasm as she described the sport, and as she encouraged me to call shooters closer to my home (she gave me names and phone numbers of Austin's clubmembers -- 200 miles away from her hometown). When I finally met her a few months later, she gave me a big hug and told me she was glad I got involved. From that hug forward, she was OK in my book.

On her tables she sold many products that people instantly recognised as "Leck's"; and for over a decade of major matches she worked her tail off to insure shooters had fun.

Those of you who remember her are obviously members who have participated in this sport for many years. I know she'd be uplifted by your fond memories.

Below is funeral info from Dave Skinner.

DVC,

Don Hardy

Visitation: 6:00-8:00 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2009

Moore Funeral Home

402 South Alamo

Refugio, TX 78377

Services: 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2009

St. Katherine’s Church

Approx. ½ mile North of intersection CR2441 & FM202 in Blanconia, TX

Parents address for cards:

Sandy and Johnny Harrison

315 Avalon Dr.

Victoria, TX 77901

Son’s email for condolences: wilsondl85@aol.com

Sitting here trying to put into words what Cheryl meant to the shooting community is really hard.

I first met Cheryl in about 1997 or 1998, when Leck's Guns became a last minute sponsor for the MS Classic. She was energetic, friendly and gave us some advice on how to make out match better. For several years after that Leck's Guns was a steady sponsor and always ready to donate to the prize table and help out in any way possible. On those rare occasions when I got to travel out of town to a match, Areas Four or her Shirley Skinner Fund Raiser, she always greeted me by name and with a hug. Didn't matter that when she got to the MS Classic and a bunch of us were alll sweaty and dirty from setting up the stages, she always wanted to give us that hug and kiss. In about 2000 or 2001 a bunch of us travelled out to Texas to shoot her Shirley Skinner. When we checked into the hotel, there were gift bags from Cheryl for all of us. Nothing big, but it showed she remembered us and appreciated our coming to support her cause. The lst time I saw her was at the LA Sectional in Gonzalez, LA a year later and she was still every bit as warm and friendly as ever, greeting my wife and I by name and asking how we were doing. I am ashamed to say that after that, I lost contact with her and until now didn't realize what she meant to me and the shooting community.

Godspeed Cheryl. You will be missed.

The world has lost a geat lady.

RIP.

Pat DeBerry

Sitting here thinking about Cheryl, I decided to look through my closet and sure enough I found my Leck's Gun's Polo Shirt. I will wear it this Sunday at our monthly match. Got that when I shot at her Shirly Skinner match several years ago.

As I thought about that, I remembered those early matches. Not enough bays or props to setup the whole match. We would set up five stages on Friday and the RO's and sponsors would shoot those between 7-9 on Sat morning and then when the last squad finished Sat. we would tear those down and set up for Sun. Same thing that day. Ro's and sponsors between 7-9 and then the competitors. When the prize table was finished it was tear down and put away. Usually finished between 9-10 PM. Now we have everythingset up on Thurs. and RO's and Sponsors shoot on Fri and competitors Sat ans Sun. Everything is put away by 4-5 and we are drinking beer and telling what if stories. Thinking about that, I wish she could still be here and see how far we have come. I think she would be pleased.

Edited by Bwana Six-Gun

Michael and Cheryl were one of the bright spots at many matches I attended through the years. I bought my 1050 from Cheryl, I still use the mag mops made by Michael. I was shocked when they left the sport.

RIP Cheryl, you made a difference in a lot of lives.

Bill Powe

I read Dons post this morning and have been thinking of Cheryl and times gone by all day. When I came back to the sport in the middle 90s Lecks was a one stop shopping trip for the gear to get me going again. Michael and Cheryl were the back bone of the Corpus club and the Texas Riveria matches, and those were some good matches, as were the Carter Martin, Make a Wish and Shirly Skinner Matches. The one common thread thur those matches was Cheryl Leck Cheryl idolized Shirly Skinner and when she died Cheryl was devastated, and now she is gone too, too soon and too young. Like Bill Powe I walked over to the gun bench tonite and hanging there was one of those shag carpet mag brushes. She made a diffrence.--------------Larry

I am so sad to hear about Cheryl...I so enjoyed hanging out with her and Andy Ginn (now gone also) at matches...They both helped me so much when I put on the Area 2 championship in Raton. She will be missed. Love and prayers for her family and friends...We have lost such a great person...

Cheryl and Rod

She was out of the sport before I started, but from what I have read here she was a class act and an asset to the sport and humanity. I wish I had a chance to know her.

My condolences to the family and for you all who lost a friend.

DVC

Jim