Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a brass picker upper...

backroad

I practice in my backyard. Although I try to keep it mowed down to nothing, I can't find hardly any of my spent cases in the grass. I've tried a leaf rake, but that isn't working too well. Anybody know of a sifter of some sort or have any ideas? I'm wanting to till the yard up so I can find it easier, but the wife isn't liking that idea. heh. <_<

I practice in my backyard. Although I try to keep it mowed down to nothing, I can't find hardly any of my spent cases in the grass. I've tried a leaf rake, but that isn't working too well. Anybody know of a sifter of some sort or have any ideas? I'm wanting to till the yard up so I can find it easier, but the wife isn't liking that idea. heh. <_<

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

Mark K.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

Mark K.

HAH! I knew somebody had been in the same boat as me. Now if I had only thought of that... Thanks Mark.

Hello: You can also lay down a blue tarp with tent pegs to catch the brass. After you are done lift the tarp up with your brass and pour it into a bucket. That is what I used to do when shooting steel from a fixed position like steel challenge stuff. Thanks, Eric

There is a company out of Jacksonville Fl, that makes a roller type brass picker-upper. Kind of looks like a lawn roller, but with lots of plastic fingers. I saw it at the SHOT show and they claimed it would work for outdoor ranges even in moderate grass height. The user would roll it over the area and the brass would get picked up by the fingers and depsosited in a basket in the rear of the roller. Pretty neat, but for the life of me I cannot find the link. I'll keep looking, but perhaps someone else has sen one or uses one at their range... :cheers: I think they made one for golf balls too...

I think the lawn roller type machine is called the "brass buggy" or something like that.

I have the "brass wizard" from uniquetek, which is the same as the "nut wizard". It only works "ok" on grass. Works really good on concrete or dirt without too many rocks or gravel. If you have really short bladed grass, it may be ok. The more firm the surface, the better.

Seiichi

I think the lawn roller type machine is called the "brass buggy" or something like that.

I have the "brass wizard" from uniquetek, which is the same as the "nut wizard". It only works "ok" on grass. Works really good on concrete or dirt without too many rocks or gravel. If you have really short bladed grass, it may be ok. The more firm the surface, the better.

Seiichi

Yup, this looks like the one I saw...

http://www.southernbellebrass.com/brassbuggy.htm

The bag a nut works ok on flat ground the wider they get the smoother the surface has to be. http://www.baganut.com/A0090.JPG

The nut wizard is nice as you can be selective about what you pick up and it works on uneven ground better than the bag a nut. http://www.holtsnutwizard.biz/DSC00095.JPG.w560h420.jpg

I did some experimenting with a leaf blower/vacuum and 5 gallon buckets that showed promise if you have really tall grass, it would work better than the two above.

post-6631-1251728655_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I like the look of this "brass buggy" but the price seems crazy at 500 a pop. Its really a nut harvester I know that you can buy the wheel with the fingers for much less than that cause they wear out on the nut harvesters. I seem to remember they were around ~30 or so, if that is true it seems like could build my own basket and handle for much less than 470. Does anyone have one of these things and care to comment ????

Im not trying to be a cheap bastard ... I just want all the bang for the buck !!!!! lol

They actually tested one of those buggy things at a range I use. The range is pretty flat and the grass is kept short. It did not work very well. It worked great on the pavement/concrete. But not so much on the grass.

DW, your link didn't work for me.

If you are shooting from one position I made one that works very well out of a minnow seine and it stows better than a tarp.

Here are some better photos of the device in my post above. It will suck brass out of cracks in the ground and grass so tall you can't even see the brass.

IMG00299.jpg

IMG00294.jpg

Here it is ready to go except I did add a strap to keep the handle around 45 degrees so I didn’t have to bend down to pick it up, moving from one honey hole to another.

IMG00293.jpg

I use my Avatar :goof:

He does help out at matches, but is not alwayse the most reliable. At our cowboy action matches a lot of the older shooters are using reach sticks and a small strainer basket on a long handle. Works just about as well as any of the other methods.

• 1 year later...

If I were going to go the vacuum route, I'd try to mount a screen with about .25" holes a couple of inches off the bottom of the bucket. Most of your smaller debris and those pesky .22 casings would get sorted out as you bumped it around while vacuuming the range.

Hopefully.

I really like my nut wizard. Works best in short grass. Club just spread red sand around trying to level a few rutted up spots, worked well on sand. Outstanding at the overhead range picking up off concrete. Doesn't work well in high grass need to kick the brass from under weeds with your foot. Mud, it's lost brass.

The wire bracket that attaches to a plastic bucket works well also.

Works best with 40 and 45, 9mm after picking up about 10 to 15 pieces needs to be dropped in the bucket or the nut wizard will drop the brass. Works best picking up single pieces, you'll need to spread piled up brass with your foot.

Standing in one place the tarp is hard to beat, moving and shooting on short grass, smooth rock or dirt nut wizard works, it's worth the money.

If shooting in one position can build a frame next to you and hang a tarp on it, brass ejects and the tarp keeps it from flying and funnels it downward into a bucket...

A more expensive route would be MoonClipped Revolvers.