Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snow Leopard

EatMeerkats

Just installed. Took about 50 minutes. I didn't back up any of my files as my backup hard-drive is still on order. It retained all my settings. Safari loads significantly quicker, just enough time for the icon to bounce once and it was up and running. Seems faster. I read somewhere that this OS upgrade erases 6Gb of redundant OS files/programs.

For those still running PowerPC this upgrade won't work for you (sorry Brian)....

There's a new Finder preference to tell the finder to search 'This Mac' or 'Current Folder' which was a major issue for a lot of people when Apple changed that with a previous update. I changed mine to 'Search Current Folder'.

Edited by BritinUSA

For those still running PowerPC this upgrade won't work for you (sorry Brian)....

There's a new Finder preference to tell the finder to search 'This Mac' or 'Current Folder' which was a major issue for a lot of people when Apple changed that with a previous update. I changed mine to 'Search Current Folder'.

Thanks Paul. The last paragraph is real good news. bigJoni's machine is on Leopard, and I hate that it doesn't have the new Finder prefs you described.

BTW, I had a thread (you posted in) on this... In Tiger, when you click a folder in the Dock, the folder opens on the Desktop. In Leopard - it's really stupid. A pop-up selection menu opens when you click a folder in the Dock, then you have to make another selection there before the folder will open on the Desktop. I really hate that. Is that fixed with SL?

If so, bigJoni maybe move back to Tiger, and maybe I will upgrade my machine so I can run SL.

be

It opens in a preview window, but if you click while holding the Command key then it opens in Finder, click when holding the Control key allows you to define how your want the preview to show... List, Grid etc.

The new Quicktime is sick as well.. All the features of the pro version as well as direct file save - post to youtube.

Thanks.
It opens in a preview window

Well that's irritating. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. It's stupid.

be

It has its uses... I have a small set of utilities I use for work that are specific to my company. I drop them in a folder, and then put that folder on the dock. It acts as a stack - so, one click expands the stack, and another click starts the app. That way, I don't have to have all that stuff on the dock directly, but its handy when I want it - sort of like a sub-menu on the dock.

Yes... I could start them via Quicksilver, but some days I can't remember my name, much less the name of each of those apps, so... :lol:

Also, in Snow Leopard, if you have stacks set to view as a grid, the grid is now scrollable, and you can navigate folders (with single clicks... double clicks dismiss the stack) within the grid. Its not exactly the same as having a Finder window up (still available via a click on the "Open in Finder..." button), but its a lot more useful than it used to be where you'd just get the first however many files displayed.

Couple of other cool additions... Expose is built into the dock, now - if you click and hold an application icon, it "Expose"s just the windows for that application. Potentially handy - and required if you decide to minimize application windows to the application icon in the dock. The built in VPN support now actually works with Cisco VPN gateways, so there's no need for an add on client (that panics the MacOS kernel every few days <_<). The character/keyboard viewer has a new menu bar icon - no more locale based flag. I can now show the date in the clock on the menu bar without having to hack the "Medium" Time format in the Language preferences.

Ok, no 64-bit kernel for me on the laptop - a generation too old, apparently. But, stuff starts a lot faster after the first time its started. Very bueno. ;)

ETA - a quick (not!) rundown over on Ars Technica... http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/...c-os-x-10-6.ars - 23 pages! But, its very complete....

Edited by XRe

Thanks for the info gang...I'm getting anxious to make the upgrade myself now. Maybe I'll plant the idea with my co-worker and get him to lead the charge on his box first.

Thanks for the link Xre...