Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHICH SCOPE MOUNT TO PURCHASE?

RaymondMillbrae

OK, folks...

I am on my next phase of building my rifle - the scope mounts.

I am getting a POF P-415 rifle with the full length Predator handrail. (From what I have heard, the Predator handrails are kind of high).

And if you have been following my posts, you will also know that I decided on the Meopta Meostar K-Dot for my scope.

So here's the question, which scope mount would best suite my needs? (I do not use a nose-to-charging-handle approach).

From what I have gathered, here are my options:

1) LaRue (Which height)?

2) JP Rifles (A bit cheaper, but a good bargain).

3) American Defense (I've heard good things about these scope mounts).

4) Armalite (I hear they are pretty low-profile)

5) GG&G Accucam

I would prefer not to have QD scope mount (I won't be removing it, and it prevents a theft while I am not watching it), but that is negotiable.

What do yall think?

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

I put the JP mount on my rifle. It's built well, rock solid, and I got it for a little over $100. It could stand to have 1/4" more eye relief, but I do have full field of view shooting nose to charging handle w/ my Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4.

OK, folks...

I am on my next phase of building my rifle - the scope mounts.

I am getting a POF P-415 rifle with the full length Predator handrail. (From what I have heard, the Predator handrails are kind of high).

And if you have been following my posts, you will also know that I decided on the Meopta Meostar K-Dot for my scope.

So here's the question, which scope mount would best suite my needs? (I do not use a nose-to-charging-handle approach).

From what I have gathered, here are my options:

1) LaRue (Which height)?

2) JP Rifles (A bit cheaper, but a good bargain).

3) American Defense (I've heard good things about these scope mounts).

4) Armalite (I hear they are pretty low-profile)

5) GG&G Accucam

I would prefer not to have QD scope mount (I won't be removing it, and it prevents a theft while I am not watching it), but that is negotiable.

What do yall think?

I have POF's and there is no problem using the Larue SPR-E with an IOR 1x4 with either the 9x or 4x rail.

My preference is for either:

Larue SPR-E

Jp

Both of these companies make an excelent product and both of them support the sport...

As an aside:

Not sure I understand the concern about having your scope stolen off your rifle?

I doubt I'd shoot somewhere that gave me cause to believe that was a reasonable possibility. (And if losing the scope is a concern how about losing the rifle?)

Not trying to be argumentative just trying to understand your concern.

I also have a POF with the full length rail. The rail is about 1/2" above the receiver rail, so any of those mounts will place the scope too high. They are all made to use on the receiver rail, not an elevated rail. You want to get the scope as low as possible on that rail to get a good cheek weld. I just use Leupold low scope rings like these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26131/P...G___BASE_SYSTEM

If the low are too low for you, med. will work.

I prefer to have my scope higher than the standard 1.5" so a 1.5" on the POF rail would fit the bill perfectly for me. I currently use a LaRue LT135. You may consider the lower mounted LT158. Or use rings by Warne or Leupold in high to get it lower to the bore.

As for a mount that does not QD.....the JP is superb. As for QD mounts.....the LaRue,ADM and GG&G are all quality pieces.

I prefer to have my scope higher than the standard 1.5" so a 1.5" on the POF rail would fit the bill perfectly for me. I currently use a LaRue LT135. You may consider the lower mounted LT158. Or use rings by Warne or Leupold in high to get it lower to the bore.

As for a mount that does not QD.....the JP is superb. As for QD mounts.....the LaRue,ADM and GG&G are all quality pieces.

+1

I have my K-dot on a LT135 and I really like it. I also have a Leupold mounted on a JP and it works great as well, just not a quick release. I tend to move my scopes around on my black rifles, so I prefer the LaRue quick release mounts. (But it sure doesn't take long to put the JP mount on and off).

OK, folks...

here's the deal.

I ended-up going with the LaRue LT-104 mounts. (Yea, yea...I know yall knew I would end up here anyways).

My other LaRue options were 2-piece rings (which are not what I wanted), and the LT-158. The difference between the LT-104 and the LT-158, was that the LT-158 had a 10 MOA offset - geared towards higher-power rounds like the .308, etc... (It was also a tiny 6/100th of an inch lower).

I would have preferred a LOWER TO BORE scope mount, but since I do not use the "nose-to-charging-handle" method, I do not foresee any problems with this. And since I will not be shooting more that 300 yards here in the SF Bay Area..."alles cla". (For you Germany stationed folks). :)

The LaRue guy I spoke to was ex-military, and he was also very helpful. I appreciated the extra time he took to answer my questions and help me to reason-out my best options. (By the way, the screws need to be torqued to 30 PSI).

In the end, I walked away with the LaRue LT-104 for $184.00, shipped to my door.

Can't beat that!

LaRue...good folks, great service.

PS: I also wanted to touch on the fact that I was aware that this topic had been spoken-on before. But with all my searching and reading, I wanted opinions on the above-mentioned scope mounts. (Which were the ones I was SPECIFICALLY looking at). I was glad to hear a few constructive opinions and thoughts on my specific choices. Kudos!

La Rue certainly makes great stuff. But, IMHO, you will find your money wasted if you get one for your POF. It will position the scope too high on that raised rail. Unless you like the carry handle scope mount and don't like your cheek on the stock!

Ok, I jest, but only slightly. Maybe it won't put the scope THAT high, but still too high in my opinion. On that POF full length rail, to my mind you'd even be better off with a set of cheap Weaver rings than a LaRue. Mounts made for the standard receiver rail (like LaRue's and the others mentioned) will mount the scope way too high, at least for me. I need a good solid cheak weld. You'll be able to place the scope anywhere along that rail, so you don't need to get a fancy extended mount. Any set of standard rings made for Weaver or picatinny rails will work fine. My Accupoint is in Leupold rings on my POF, and is very happy there (and it's mounted so far forward it's almost a scout scope)!

And there's this. Will you have buis and need QD capability? If not (and you won't if this is a 3-gun rifle), I see no point in spending big bucks for a mount. Besides, my Leupold rings are QD, even though I don't need that capability, and they work just fine.

If you were looking for a mount on a standard receiver rail, I recommend the Armalite, since it mounts the scope at the proper height (center of scope right where iron sights would be). The exception would be if your scope (like my TR21) has mega eye relief. In that case you'd be best with the LaRue extended mount.

Man...you guys are killing me!!!

I was meditating on the height of the POF Predator, and then thinking about the LaRue LT-104 scope mount...and I was not at peace.

I was also thinking about how the scope rings were mounted forward (in order to give eye relief), and I came to the conclusion that I did not need that.

As was pointed out earlier, the Predator is a FULL LENGTH RAIL system. (Picatinny rail from the charging handle, all the way to the end of the end of the hand guard). So all this "eye-relief design" was a moot point for me, as I could just move the scope forward as far as I wanted.

So I checked my account, and saw that LaRue had not charged me yet. Yesssssss...there was still a chance to catch them before they shipped the scope mount.

So I just called them a few minutes ago (0615 California time), and changed my order.

I decided on a 2-piece QR scope mount. (SIMILAR TO THESE, BUT A TAD LOWER).

I figured that the Predator rail would be a 1/2" inch taller than normal, so I ordered a set of 2-piece QR scope mounts that would place me at the 1.4" inch mark. (A touch shorter than the 1.5" inches that the standard LT-104 places all the other scopes at).

I feel a bit better now. They were the same price, so it was a 1-for-1 swap.

My cheek weld position will be better, and the scope will now be closer to the bore...which is always optimal.

I feel better now.

Thank you for your reasoned-out responses and opinions!!! :D

Man...you guys are killing me!!!

I was meditating on the height of the POF Predator, and then thinking about the LaRue LT-104 scope mount...and I was not at peace.

I was also thinking about how the scope rings were mounted forward (in order to give eye relief), and I came to the conclusion that I did not need that.

As was pointed out earlier, the Predator is a FULL LENGTH RAIL system. (Picatinny rail from the charging handle, all the way to the end of the end of the hand guard). So all this "eye-relief design" was a moot point for me, as I could just move the scope forward as far as I wanted.

So I checked my account, and saw that LaRue had not charged me yet. Yesssssss...there was still a chance to catch them before they shipped the scope mount.

So I just called them a few minutes ago (0615 California time), and changed my order.

I decided on a 2-piece QR scope mount. (SIMILAR TO THESE, BUT A TAD LOWER).

I figured that the Predator rail would be a 1/2" inch taller than normal, so I ordered a set of 2-piece QR scope mounts that would place me at the 1.4" inch mark. (A touch shorter than the 1.5" inches that the standard LT-104 places all the other scopes at).

I feel a bit better now. They were the same price, so it was a 1-for-1 swap.

My cheek weld position will be better, and the scope will now be closer to the bore...which is always optimal.

I feel better now.

Thank you for your reasoned-out responses and opinions!!! :D

I think you did good! :cheers:

BTW, when I had my Meopta on my POF I had wanted to put one of those power ring levers on it, but there wasn't enough clearance between the ring and the rail. Hopefully your power ring won't be as stiff as mine. I guess I could have dremeled away some of the rail top, but instead just switched the scope to my DPMS carbine and put the Accupoint back on the POF.

Good luck! :)

BTW, when I had my Meopta on my POF I had wanted to put one of those power ring levers on it, but there wasn't enough clearance between the ring and the rail. Hopefully your power ring won't be as stiff as mine. I guess I could have dremeled away some of the rail top, but instead just switched the scope to my DPMS carbine and put the Accupoint back on the POF.

Funny,

but that was EXACTLY what I was thinking.

But "alles cla"...as I have decided to just nip away a tiny section of the rail if it did not clear.

Been looking at one of these CAT TAILS for my baby. (Click on link).

Kudos, yall.

Yea...I saw the cat tails at "R & R Targets".

But they were silver, and they looked kinda "gordito" to me.

After looking around, I fell in love with the ones I linked you to above...and they're black.

k-dot1.jpg

k-dot3.jpg

k-dot5.jpg

The LaRue QD 2-piece scope mounts I ordered are low...lower than the 2 Piece QD LT-123 on my link above .

Below is a picture of the QD 2-piece LT-123's. The ones I ordered are similar, but they are lower, and do NOT have that little empty space below the scope rings.

P1012046.JPG

I double-checked with them to make sure the Meopta would fit, and they assured me it would.

Hoping for the best.

Thanks!

Raymond,

All the R&R levers are anodized black, the one he has in the photo is an early prototype. The current production ones are much thinner and are made to fit 11 different types of scope. I have all R&Rs on my scopes, but the one you have looks fine. Form follows function, so if it works and you like it then you're good to go.

As for mounts, you can't go wrong with a LaRue, and they support our sport.

Doug