Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Microbiology and A&P

So my Microbio professor is suggesting (almost yelling) that we should not take Microbio and A&P at the same time. I'm a full time student and have had exposure to A&P in the past being that I'm an EMT.

Any concerns from the gallery?

I have a 4.0 and an engineering degree, if that matters.

Rich

It matters-means you have analytical ability and abstract ability for 3D. Seeing some of the prepared cadavers I have seen-you will need it :roflol:. If you are full time and can spend the time memorizing-which is the anatomy part-depends on how much physiology they put in and well they get it across. P can be really fun if the teacher makes it simple, or a disaster if not. If they are the only two courses you are taking, I think you can do it. You are a semi-mature :rolleyes: combat veteran with a plan. A lot of people have taken these two concurrently. However, you may want to talk to the Micro prof and see if there is something he is trying to tell you-like a flaming groovy A+P master or class is across town or some secret he can't tell at large. Always think ambush when a professor says something like that.

A general recommendation is that students not take both micro and A&P classes together, because both require so much time. However, if you think you can handle it, and have prior experience that will help, then take both at the same time. If possible, talk to your professor and ask his/her opinion about your particular situation. And best of luck.

Thanks guys. The straight memorization is the only that I'm concerned with. The A&P is broken in to 2 semesters and so basically, here's what I've got:

Fall:

General Chem 1

A&P 1

Microbiology

Spring:

General Chem 2

A&P 2

Psychology and/or Regular Bio

Summer:

Organic Chem 1 & 2

Thanks again for the info and I'll call the prof on Monday. Maybe I can switch the General Bio with Micro this semester.

Rich

Rich,

I don't know if you're good at testing out of things. I needed a full year of A&P to get into nursing school --- and found out that I couldn't take it concurrently ~ 3 months prior to the admissions deadline. Excelsior College's option to test out saved me. I ordered their text and work books, which came with a set of interactive CD/DVDs, spent ~9 weeks full-time cracking the books, then spent 55 minutes one morning in a testing center taking the 150 question exam. Passed with a B.

I don't feel like I gave up much relevant knowledge -- though I did go back to the book once or twice in nursing school for a refresher on the anatomy....

Just saying -- it's an option that's out there, if you need to manage some time....

The College Board also offers CLEP exams in a bunch of subjects including Psychology and Math (nursing school required an Algebra grade from within the last five years). Clep exams are ~ $80 and available at most colleges, including community college's.

Before pursuing either approach, make sure your program will accept the transfer of credits....

I think I'm just going to suck it up and do it but I'll still talk with my prof (that and the Bio class is full). :D

Rich

ETA: Nik, thanks for the heads up there, but EVERY, PA program I'm going to does not allow that.

Edited by uscbigdawg

I think I'm just going to suck it up and do it but I'll still talk with my prof (that and the Bio class is full). :D

Rich

ETA: Nik, thanks for the heads up there, but EVERY, PA program I'm going to does not allow that.

Rich,

Talk to the other students who have had the classes concurrent and also ask them which teachers are the best. The latter made my Physics classes a breeze where some of my mates had another guy who was useless as a teacher. That all assumes there is more than one option for you.

JT

Rich

O.K. I thought A&P was moderately difficult, having not (really) had it before --- I took my EMT course in the early 1980s. Following a year of nursing school, Micro in a five week Summer semester was a complete cakewalk.....

You know how to think critically, you're an adult --- I'm not sure it really matters. I think you can suck it up and excel doing both at the same time....

Thanks Nik. I agree. I think it comes down to being pro-active and taking the opportunity to "get ahead" (the professor has given us the entire course outline and by her tone sticks to it rigidly) so there's no reason that it can't be done. I'm of the mindset that if you have an opportunity to get ahead, do so and stay ahead as it's much easier to do that than play catch-up.

Rich

Rich,

Going by the assumption that you have the ability to study and manage time with good discipline it should not pose much of a problem other than time. The one hiccup that was eluded to earlier is that both classes involve large doses of rote memorization. This was the only snag for me as I retain "systemic" information much easier. Whatever you do, don't pile Organic Chem on top of those two :D ....three memory classes would work you over pretty good.

Good luck, Craig

There's one cool thing about every A&P exam --- they let you walk in with a perfect crib sheet: your own body. Visualizing where things were located while learning gave me the ability to recall details and work out certain functional things on the exam, just by thinking about how my body would move or perform some other function....

Micro was 3 hours of lecture and 3 hours of lab each day; each day during the summer was equivalent to one week during the normal semester. A&P will probably be the same, or pretty close to it....

It depends a lot on the level you are at before you walk into class. If you are taking freshman level classes, then it's mainly the memorization - of which there is way too much dependence if you ask me. But there is also the case that for a lot of people, this is all new and getting A&P down first can make Micro easier because you have to digest a lot of medical terminology (and Latin) in A&P before things start to become easier to remember.

To me A&P was fun but I hated Micro. There was not much practical reasoning behind micro, just freakin memorization of the stuff in Bergey's Manual... I used to tell the professor "That's why they publish this manual, so I don't have to memorize how each of these critters look like!" At least she was a fun upbeat instructor. That made it a lot bearable.

Did I say that I HATED MICROBIOLOGY!!

Edited by Nemo

First day of A&P today and whoooh....they're not messin' around. Nice to see though at such a small school. Talked to the Micro professor today and she said it's do-able and just comes down to attitude and study habits. Luckily, not having a job any more helps out with the time portion. :D

Rich

Looks almost identical to my first year pharmacy schedule I took at Auburn....along with some pharmacy specific classes....hell, I managed a pull out a 3.5 while working on my sponsorship with Miller Lite so you shouldn't have a problem..I really enjoyed A&P....Very interesting....What degree are you going for?

Required courses include Sem. hrs

English I and II 6

Chemistry I and II with Lab 8

Organic Chemistry I and II with Lab 8

Biology 4

Calculus I 4

Physics 4

Anatomy and Physiology I and 8

Social Science 6

Statistics 3

History I and 6

Fine Arts 3