Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is the SVI mags so hard to get? and are they better than STI and S

Freddie the Swede

I currently have a SPS/Caspian Open gun and I'm using SPS mags and find them great for my shooting.

When I look here there is always a higher demand for the SVi mags than either the STI or the SPS mags.

Why is that?

Is the SVI mags better or do they hold more rounds?

If they are so great why are they so hard to get?

If I ran SVI I would make more magazines since there is always people asking for them.

I just need to know

Many thanks

Fredrik

IPSC Sweden

SVI mags take less work to get capacity because they will typically run right out of the bag with the advantageous Bolen spring and follower. SVI mags can sometimes be a little on the large side. STI will do anything an SVI will with a little attention. Buy the SVI and pay more, or have the STI massaged and be at the same place for about the same price. STI are easier to find, both are about as easy to sell.

... and the part Bobby left out ...

And both are higher quality tubes than the SPS tube (thicker stainless, and less likely to change dimensionally under normal wear and tear - but easier to bend on and tune for the same reason)

Forgot to add, SVI mags are hard to get because they hate making them. I can imagine how much of a pain it is. So they make them in short runs and when they run out they're just out. When they hit the market, get'em while you can.

... and the part Bobby left out ...

And both are higher quality tubes than the SPS tube (thicker stainless, and less likely to change dimensionally under normal wear and tear - but easier to bend on and tune for the same reason)

You're right Dave. A person would have to literally twist my arm or guilt me into working on an SPS mag tube, and even then I won't guarantee them for more than 30 days. Don't take that as negative chatter about a company or product, I just don't like working on them.

I setup and tune all of my own open and limited mags for both my wife and I. I find the out of the box quality to be higher on the SV tubes than STI and I have less work to get them tuned. I only use SV these days. If you want tubes call in direct and get some on order and be patient.

None of my STI mags have spacers.

My experience with the SVI tubes is different than Larry's. I find the SVI tubes to be very inconsistent in size and dimension (which isn't good quality IMO), and I've handled quite a few of them. On the other hand, I can take a dozen STI tubes and they will all measure with .005 of each other. Now I do agree the SVI is easier to tune (you basically only have to debur and tune the feed lips for them to run good), but it has nothing to do with its out of the box quality, it's all because of its design and construction. It's just a different animal.

my own experience is that the SVI are "tuned" better. i recently had to replace all of my mags (my gear was stolen out of the trunk of my rental car at the match hotel for the Canadian Nationals.) when i had bought STI mags i spent 3 months getting them tuned so that they all ran without a hiccup. so far the SVI mags that i bought have worked flawlessly out of the box.

None of my STI mags have spacers.

My experience with the SVI tubes is different than Larry's. I find the SVI tubes to be very inconsistent in size and dimension (which isn't good quality IMO), and I've handled quite a few of them. On the other hand, I can take a dozen STI tubes and they will all measure with .005 of each other. Now I do agree the SVI is easier to tune (you basically only have to debur and tune the feed lips for them to run good), but it has nothing to do with its out of the box quality, it's all because of its design and construction. It's just a different animal.

I haven't seen the same variation you have in SV tubes where it counts. I prefer the feed lip and rib design on the SVs as well. No Baby rattles. Sheesh, Everything else is really just semantics :) I polish the inside but don't bother with the outside finish as they take a beating anyway.

I had a customer send me 5 SVI 170mm tubes, 3 of the 5 would not drop free from any grip. This is not an isolated incident. I'd say that counts.

ETA: They were all new mags and were replaced by SVI.

Edited by kgunz11

The SV's work for 9 major without spacers which is really nice. This also creates quite a demand and healthy prices. I haven't seen any 170's for sale in ages.

I bought a new 170 a couple months ago - very nice,

but without a spacer, I guess you have to load the

9mm major to 1.18" OAL with MG JHP 115 grains?

Jack

I am using both STI and SVI. Shooting 9mm, the 140's are SVI w/+2 bases and the 170's are STI w/o spacers (but Howard Smith "smiled" on the 170's back when he 1st started tuning for folks). Using Grams internals exclusively. Running 124 gr MG CMJ at 1.170 oal and absolutely zero mag problems. From a reliability standpoint it seems if you ensure the tubes are in spec, run good internals, and keep them reasonably clean, they'll run for a long time without failure. Mags are one thing I don't have to worry about when shooting.