Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Reloads

Bob Westgate

How does the Polygonal barrel handle lead reloads?

Bob Westgate

Witness Match 45 ACP

I would say everyone's experience is different, but my limited is doing just fine with them, I have about 3k through mine and no concerns with pressure or leading. I have not grouped lead ammo, but it is good enough to drop a popper at 45 yds.

Lee

How does the Polygonal barrel handle lead reloads?

Bob Westgate

Witness Match 45 ACP

I would say everyone's experience is different, but my limited is doing just fine with them, I have about 3k through mine and no concerns with pressure or leading. I have not grouped lead ammo, but it is good enough to drop a popper at 45 yds.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I have been using 200 Grain H&G 68's in my 1911's for many years and would like to use them when my Match arrives. I've heard Glock's don't handle lead because of the polygonal barrel so I was worried I couldn't use them on the EAA.

Bob Westgate

Thanks Lee, I have been using 200 Grain H&G 68's in my 1911's for many years and would like to use them when my Match arrives. I've heard Glock's don't handle lead because of the polygonal barrel so I was worried I couldn't use them on the EAA.

Bob Westgate

I think what you find a problem with first won't be the lead, it will be the HG68 profile. Everyone I know with a Tanfo shoots RN or RNFP/TC, No one can seem to get a SWC to feed as reliably.

Lee

The users manual says nothing about lead projectiles, even for the Gold Team. It only has the usual no handloaded ammo clause, so if it were an issue, then its the manufacture's oversight is something goes wrong. There is plenty of lead ammo from factories. I doubt it would be an issue. I never have to clean my barrel on my Limited, but I'm only shooting Montana Gold FMJ.

I've been shooting limited with a witness this summer after many years of single stack platforms. I have been shooting 170 gr. hard cast bullets (H&G 68 profile) exclusively with no problems. I can't explain why, but I can back off the powder charge that we load for my son's Para limited gun and get the same power factor.

Hope you enjoy

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any favorite reloads for a 45cal Match? What lead bullets feed properly? Like to use something in the 185-200G range. I understand my 200G H&G68 will not feed properly but I would like to use lead bullets basically to save money.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Westgate

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any favorite reloads for a 45cal Match? What lead bullets feed properly? Like to use something in the 185-200G range. I understand my 200G H&G68 will not feed properly but I would like to use lead bullets basically to save money.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Westgate

Hi Bob

I have been using 200gr H&G68's since I got my .45 many years ago. I did initially have some issues but found that if I loaded the projectile slightly long so that the base of the projectile is sitting outside the case mouth slightly, rather than being flush with the case mouth, this aided in feeding and I have not had any problems since.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Westgate

Hi Bob

I have been using 200gr H&G68's since I got my .45 many years ago. I did initially have some issues but found that if I loaded the projectile slightly long so that the base of the projectile is sitting outside the case mouth slightly, rather than being flush with the case mouth, this aided in feeding and I have not had any problems since.

Thanks for that, you give me hope that I will be able to use all the 45 I have loaded. I load my H&G to a 2.30 overall so hopefully they will work in my Tanfo. I should find out today.

Bob