Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 Wheel Transport

jobob

I recently bought a motorcycle, and I'm trying to figure out a way of transporting all my gear to nearby matches. I can strap down my range bag on the back seat, and stow gear in the saddle cases, but I haven't found a good way to load up my long guns. I suppose I could sling up at least one of them across my back, but I don't want to look like a mall commando going down the highway!

I have an Eberlestock backpack and I could strap gun cases on to that, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable riding with all that gear strapped to my person.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Depends on the motorcycle you now own. This trick would work on any big touring motorcycle.

A local shooter has a Goldwing that he rides to 3-gun matches on. He made a carrier rack located off the back fender and mounts a hard plastic golf bag on it. Basically, the bottom of the plastic golf bag is secured to the lower mount, he top of the golf bag is secured to the tour pack. It works really well.

Ha! No, I don't think they make a bike big enough to handle the gear I take to Ironman! I'm just thinking for local (within 100 mi.) matches, or even going to the range for practice

Mine is just a BMW G650GS. Kinda mid-size dual sport. I think my options are pretty limited on this bike. My best option might be to break the guns down and strap them down in bags on the back with the range bag. They could also be strapped down, unbroken, in cases across the bike on the back luggage rack and seat. But they might function as a wing at highway speeds, which could be interesting!

In 2000 when I lived in New Mexico, I loaded up a 95 hd-dyna with camping gear and a long-gun (scabbard used for going on a horse) for a antelop hunt! Turns out there was a motorcycle ralley happening on the same weekend in Ruidoso. You should have seen the looks on other bikers... :ph34r: Even the tax man gave me a funny look when he pulled up along side running down the freeway :surprise: Better yet...I pulled in for gas and coffee at a gas station in Carrizozo. The local game wardens were grabbing donuts and coffee in prep for the arrival of hunters. Asked em if they had seen any antelop, one's with some size and easy to get from the road? :roflol: You shoulda see the looks on their faces!!! Being the friendly and helpful sort of guys/gals they pointed me in a direction.

What they didn't know was that I had plans to meet up with a buddy in a 4x4 and head off the other direction! As Paul Harvey would say....you now know the rest of the story!

[typo]

Edited by Sterling White