Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

We got some great news Monday night. We can now practice IDPA/USPSA style shooting at one of our local gun clubs, 2 evenings per week. No more 15 & 25 yard slow fire only, no draw from a holster etc, etc.....

Now we don't have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to have a place to practice our sport.

Edited by baerburtchell

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got some great news Monday night. We can now practice IDPA/USPSA style shooting at one of our local gun clubs, 2 evenings per week. No more 15 & 25 yard slow fire only, no draw from a holster etc, etc.....

Now we don't have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to have a place to practice our sport.

Too bad you don't own gun that can take advantage of this! :devil:

Just 2 more days :roflol:

Not in time for Waco? :(

Not in time for Waco? :(

My wife's best friend is getting married and my wife is the Matron of Honor. Guess where I have to be, Saturday?? :wacko:

Edited by baerburtchell

Trying to get back on schedule. Took a few days off. Feeling really crappy. I had to get a cortisone injection for the stupid dyshidrotic dermatitis that I've been battling off and on for over 20 years. Hundreds of small blisters around the nerve endings on my feet and hands. Hurts and itches like hell and I look like a leper. :sick:

Edited by baerburtchell

I'm trying to help out a friend & fellow forum member who does not have enough post to run an ad on the classifieds.

I can't advertise the pistol on the forum because it is no longer mine, but I sold it to my friend a couple of months back. If anyone is looking for or knows of someone who is looking for a great deal on a Full blown Matt Mink custom CZ75 SPO1 and Kadet conversion kit and all the gear, please give me PM. It is listed on the USPSA website.

Thanks

Edited by baerburtchell

Went back to the Dr. today for the dermatitis/eczema on my hands and got a more high powered steroid ointment. At least all of the blisters are gone. I feel the corticosteroid shot has about wore off, so I'm going to start back with weight training. Very easy to pull a muscle while that crap is in your system.

I've dropped another 5 pounds. Surprising while on the steroids. That stuff usually makes me puff up. Down to 220. 12# total. I'll get a bodycomp done eventually, when I feel I'm getting close to the 15% mark. I've learned from years past that I do not have to worry about losing muscle mass until I start getting under 10% and that is a LONG way off. :roflol:

I've been a little off track with the training program, but I've been feeling like dog shi_ .

Edited by baerburtchell

1st match with the new single stack. Pistol functioned flawlessly.

Shot the IDPA Postal Match. Good solid performance, I believe I was down 11 points for all the stages.

Valuable lesson reinforced at this match. We had a couple of extra stages beside the IDPA Postal Match stages & I really messed up on one by trying to emulate another shooter's plan instead of shooting the stage within my skill levels & going with my original plan.

I tried to transition to a swinger that was activated by steel and then transition back to 2 drop turners. I was too slow on my transition to the swinger and by the time it reappeared and I shot it the 2 drop turners had dissappeared. My original plan was to shoot the steel, then the 2 drop turners and then the swinger. I should have stuck with my origingal plan. :wacko:

Next Saturday is our local clubs annual "Trophy Match". Looks like it's going to rain all this week, so lots of dryfire as I really want to be ready for this one. Maybe if the weather will cooperate I can sneak in some live fire practice too.

Edited by baerburtchell

Finally got in a little live fire practice in this evening.

Worked on some accuracy type drills with mjoy64. Head shot only El Prez's & draw & fire 5 shots at 25 yards.

New 40 S&W minor load (3.8 Titegroup/180 MG CMJ/FSP primers/ Win. brass/ 1.183 OAL) runs great ! Using a 12# recoil spring. All sighted in and ready to go for our local club's annual "Trophy Match". Hope to get some wood Saturday :roflol:

Hands are doing better from the dermatitis and I'm shaking off a cold/sore throat/earache that I had on Tuesday. Big cold front blowing in tomorrow. Almost 90 degrees today and should be 49 degrees Saturday morning when the match starts. The guys at Double Tap are going to experience a big chill down very soon. Gotta love this Texas weather.

Edited by baerburtchell

Finished 3rd in my Division & 13th out of 40 shooters overall in our local clubs Trophy match. It is basically an Action Pistol style match (lots of steel) but also with IDPA targets and scoring system. So for overall I was competing with Open & Limited shooters as well.

2 stages out of 8 costs me big time.

One great stage had about as many ways to shoot the stage as we had shooters. I failed to engage a target behind a stack of barrels. With the scoring system we were using the cost me 10 points (5 seconds). I knew I was in trouble on this stage as I had never been able to develop a solid strategy to shoot it on the walk-thru. I was just "winging it" and I forgot a target.

The other stage that costs me is I had a large pepper popper at about 17 yards that I hit twice and it would not go down, I left it and asked for a calibration check, which I lost. :angry2: Lesson learned. No more gamer minor loads. I'll shoot my major 40 loads no matter what style match I'm shooting. One less thing to worry about.

Great fun match. Thanks SteveJ :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed it, Paul. You weren't the only one to fall into the calibration trap. No matter how light you set the full sized Pepper poppers, they reward higher power factors unless you hit them squarely in the scoring zone. With no wind to deal with, I start them out where a rap of my pain sensitive knuckles will knock them over. Even after settling into soft ground, they should fall with a solid hit.

I've thought about shooting minor, even sub-minor loads from time to time in different venues, but I think there's a lot of merit to some comments that I've read here about being tuned to your match load. You get timed to your gun's timing, and that helps you shoot faster far better than switching to a softer load because the latter throws your timing off.

Thank goodness our weather in Central Texas was alot nicer than what the guys at Area 04 went through this weekend, but I wish I could have been there. Looks like Double Tap 2010 will be my next major match.

The new Techwear shirt looked better than I shot :roflol:

Edited by baerburtchell

Snuck in some range practice after work, late this afternoon. Just made sure my gun was zeroed for tomorrow's match and practiced on trigger control. Ended with about 20 rounds at 50 yards.

Just a little over 500 rounds through the new to me Trojan with absolutely 0, zip, nada malfunctions. I probably just jinxed myself. ;)

Looking forward to my first USPSA match in several months :)