Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

08/19/09

Started Training Program & Eating/Exercise Program TODAY.

Ya'll that know me personally or via the forum will laugh when I publicly make the comittment to stick with one pistol and Divsion for a period beginning today and ending on July 26, 2010 (my 50th birthday). I've bought/sold/traded for over 20 different pistols on this forum since I began shooting USPSA & IDPA approx. 2 years ago. I am a certified pistol "nut" and love pistols as much as actually shooting competition, but I know that platform switching and erratic match attendance has slowed my progress.

Short Term Goals:

Shoot Production with my Burwell customized M&P Pro- No gun trading : )

I am currently classified "C" in Production. GOAL: Obtain a "B" classification by 12/31/2009.

I'm fat : ) 20+% Bodyfat. Goal: Get Bodyfat under 15% by 12/31/2009

Initial Plan:

Class scheduled with Dave Re 08/29/09.

Dryfire Practice: 15 minutes minimum 5x weekly

Livefire Practice: One time minimum per week approx. 100 rounds

Matches: 2-3 Per Month

Eating Program: 5 small high protein, moderate carb/fat meals per day. Lots of H2O.

Excercise Program: 5 - 30 minute P.M. after last meal brisk walks per week, Tabata Protocols/Sled Dragging 3 x weekly

Feel free to freely "bust my chops" critique, compliment or whatever....

Paul

Edited by baerburtchell

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel you should continue switching pistols and put on more weight. These steps will make you much easier to keep up with! :roflol:

I believe you can accomplish your goals easily. The hardest one for you will be sticking to one pistol. Dave's help will be an unfair advantage in both fitness and shooting, so you couldn't have made a better choice in my opinion.

Good luck

Bill

08/19/09 (Lunch Hour)

Load testing and sighted in new pistol.

I tried 2 different loads.(50 rounds each) 4.0 grains Titegroup, 124 grain Montana Golds loaded to 1.143, FSP primers, Win. brass & the same combo with 4.2 grains of Solo 1000.

Slight edge in accuracy, at all ranges from 7 yards to 25 yards with the Titegroup. (1 hole 10 shot groups at 10 yards free handed).

Sights tracked much better with the Titegroup and I had 2 failures for the slide to lock back on the last round with the Solo 1000. Going with Titegroup. Boy, the Solo 1000 had a sweet low recoil "feel" to it, but gotta go with what is the most reliable. I need to load approx. 1000 rounds for my class.

May try some Solo 1000 with some 147's at a later time.

Edited by baerburtchell

Best of luck to you Paul - deciding you're gonna do the work to get better and healthier is commendable.

The downside is it's gonna be really boring in the Classified section now without you posting a gun for sale every two to three weeks. :roflol:

Are you shooting Brazosland on Sunday? They're running a classifier match with .22 rimfire "steel challenge" side match.

Doug

08/23/09

Finished all reloading for my class next Saturday with Dave Re. Thanks to Zeb45 I was able to get my broke Dillon 550B up and running and finished everything. Loads are finished and gun is sighted in.

I'm just going to work on the basics this upcoming week prior to my class. This will be the first formal training I have ever had. I've just been self taught, so I may be doing alot of stuff incorrectly. It will be good to not only learn what I need improving on and need to correct but, also to confirm what I am doing right. (If that makes any sense??)

Diet started and so far so good. Just some late night "hunger pangs".

Headed off to church .

This afternoon plan on 8 Tabata cycles (Thrusters) w/ 25# dumbells followed by a 30 min walk with my wife this evening.

The class today with Dave Re was awesome. No way to even begin to describe all that I learned. My mind and body are a little fried. Man, I'm going to sleep good tonight.

Thanks again, Dave for a great class :cheers:

I can't wait to start practicing and putting all of this together.

09/01/09

Live Fire Practice w/ mjoy64

Used the DR Performance practice deck : Half Pres, Draw Test and Mozambique Drills.

Ran out of daylight and had to stop practicing. :(

My Wrist above shoulders turn and draw time (A zone hit at 10 yards) is now faster than my Hand at side, no turn, A zone hit at 7 yards was prior to my class with Dave. :goof:

Edited by baerburtchell

09/01/09

Live Fire Practice w/ mjoy64

Used the DR Performance practice deck : Half Pres, Draw Test and Mozambique Drills.

Ran out of daylight and had to stop practicing. :(

My Wrist above shoulders turn and draw time (A zone hit at 10 yards) is now faster than my Hand at side, no turn, A zone hit at 7 yards was prior to my class with Dave. :goof:

And your time was??