Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinger not visable

Loves2Shoot

I was shooting a course and the stage description said to shoot tactical priority, where if the swinger was out you would see it first, but if it was away, you would see static targets first. The question we had is, if the swinger is not in view can you shoot the static targets first? When I was shooting and I came to that position the swinger wasn't there, so I shot the two statics and came back to the swinger and shot it as it came out.

What is your call and why?

I was shooting a course and the stage description said to shoot tactical priority, where if the swinger was out you would see it first, but if it was away, you would see static targets first. The question we had is, if the swinger is not in view can you shoot the static targets first? When I was shooting and I came to that position the swinger wasn't there, so I shot the two statics and came back to the swinger and shot it as it came out.

What is your call and why?

If its not there its not there and doesn't exist until its there right?

Another Grey area of IDPA.... From my experience, it depends on the SO/MD, some will allow you to engage static targets before the swinger is visible. It is best to ask the questions during the walk through. YMMV

From my experience, it depends on the SO/MD... It is best to ask the questions during the walk through. YMMV

Ditto. I've seen it ruled both ways. As a shooter, ask. As a MD/SO/stage designer, be prepared how you want to answer the question.

I also asked this about a drop turner once... if the target isn't square enough for a < 2xbullet-diameter hole, then it's also not "visible" just like a hidden swinger, imo.

-rvb

Thanks for the input all.

I'd allow it as an SO, but you better be nimble, you better be quick, or I'm gonna hit you with my +3 stick.

Well, I figure it took me less than a second to get the two statics and then I got a -0 hit on the swinger as it popped out from behind cover.

I tend to be the only one to ask questions in the walk through, and I'll just add this to my list. I do not want to get the dreaded FTDR and even for an experienced shooter, there are a lot of things that are quite fuzzy, so I just as the SO if I can or can't do something. Then again sometimes during a course my instincts kick in and I do something wrong anyway, but I've never intended to :)

IDPA SO's have a tough job, as I know that it would be hard for them to try to understand what a shooter is seeing when going through a course of fire. Thanks So's!

I tend to be the only one to ask questions in the walk through, and I'll just add this to my list.

You must be the token gamer in the squad !!!!!!!!!!

Um, IDPA is a "game" so everyone shooting is a gamer. I just don't want to make sure I stay "between the lines." :D

When you shoot accurately fast, you already have a target on you with some SO's.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Scott: Did you take the static targets before the swinger appeared for the first time? Or did it appear, disappear, then you took the static targets, then returned to the swinger when it reappeared?

I know it was all happening pretty quickly, but if you pie out to take the static targets (I'm assuming that you're using cover), then as the swinger appears there may be a question of cover?