Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18 inch 6.5 Grendel ballistic data

Chris Conley

Built a rifle using Sabre's 18 inch 6.5 Grendel barrell and the only data I can find are for 16 and 20 inch barrells. Anyone know of a web sight that has 18 inch data? And also, most of the charts that I see use a 600 yard zero. Do you have to zero at 600 yards? The most I can get locally is 400 yards.... If not I guess a drive down to Rockcastle wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks in advance,

Chris C.

Allright, some more Grendel shooters... :cheers: I just wish the brass was easier and cheaper to get, good thing it's easily reloadable and low enough pressure to get 10 reloads out of a case.

Keep us updated on your builds... I didn't build mine, but did dis assemble the upper to put a free float on it.

The chrono and ballistic calc advice is good- When I got mine the AA site's 24" barrel info was the only available and it helped me out a lot. (mine's a 19.5" heavy bbl) Depending on your barrel's twist rate and "harmonics" you'll find loads that will group tightly and those that won't. I always zero at 200, no reason for me to do a 600 zero, I'm not shooting to 1000.

The chrono and ballistic calc advice is good- When I got mine the AA site's 24" barrel info was the only available and it helped me out a lot. (mine's a 19.5" heavy bbl) Depending on your barrel's twist rate and "harmonics" you'll find loads that will group tightly and those that won't. I always zero at 200, no reason for me to do a 600 zero, I'm not shooting to 1000.

Mine's a 19.5" also. Wolf 123 sux, Wolf 120gn MPT runs about 1.5MOA, AA 120gn and 123gn give me the best groups, 129gn no so..

I'm still looking for a decent Grendel barrel, Dan(hint hint) if you just can't afford to put yours together I might be interested in taking it off your hands, Christian that goes for any you may have as well, all i need is a 2" at 100yard gun, it will be suppressed and only used inside 100yds.

trapr

Changed my mind and picked up a 16 inch instead due to this one might be suppressed in the future. I know I will lose some FPS but I'm not planning to shoot out to 1000 yards either. Just a play around gun and deer hunting bean field rifle. I have never seen one like this. It has a real heavy M4 conture to it. I put it up to a regular 5.56 M4 and it definately has more meat on it.

Now to the next question... Has anyone ran an adjustable gas system on a 6.5 Grendel?? Also what kind compensators if any are you all running? Would a regular flash hider do just fine for now?

When I get it put together I will post some pictures.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I'm still looking for a decent Grendel barrel, Dan(hint hint) if you just can't afford to put yours together I might be interested in taking it off your hands, Christian that goes for any you may have as well, all i need is a 2" at 100yard gun, it will be suppressed and only used inside 100yds.

trapr

Trapr, barrels are so hard to find right now! I have a 18 Sabre but I'm saving it for when my AA is shot out... Hot tip for ya: Midway has Sabre Grendel barrels in stock, they're $629 and $589.

Changed my mind and picked up a 16 inch instead due to this one might be suppressed in the future. I know I will lose some FPS but I'm not planning to shoot out to 1000 yards either. Just a play around gun and deer hunting bean field rifle. I have never seen one like this. It has a real heavy M4 conture to it. I put it up to a regular 5.56 M4 and it definately has more meat on it.

Now to the next question... Has anyone ran an adjustable gas system on a 6.5 Grendel?? Also what kind compensators if any are you all running? Would a regular flash hider do just fine for now?

When I get it put together I will post some pictures.

Chris C.

Mr. Conley, you may have already checked it there too, but some of the guys on the 65grendel.com forum have a lot of experience with Grendels...

I've surfed around there a bunch and yes those guys know there stuff. That's one of the first places I went to do some research. Mostly I'm just tired of those deer getting away in the back of the bean field. They just look at me and I know what they're thinking "Yeah I see him. But he can get us from there". Plus I don't have much time this year to shoot any 3 gun so the long range stuff has kinda ticked my interest. Thanks for the info dudes!!

Chris C.

trapr

Trapr,

I'm gonna keep the barrel, time is usually the issue, not funding. I got a 20" Satern a year ago, or so from Midway. Definately not a cheap piece of stainless. Heck, I still own a 6MM-223 upper, that Jim Lambert currently has to play with. He lacks the time, it's not like he has to drive to the range. :roflol:

Wasn't Jim offering Lothar Walther barrels in Grendel a while back?

I know that Scout 454 is looking for a barrel too.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I got the 6.5 Grendel finished this weekend minus a peel washer. I forgot that it need a 9/16ths instead of 1/2. Turned out looking pretty good. Now I just need to find a scope that will suit my needs and some Krylon paint. What kind of scopes are you guys running? I really don't want to spend $1000+ for one right now. Just something I can get the rifle up and running and play with.

Chris C.

Trapr, call Jim Lambert. I believe he still has one or two of the really nice Grendel barrels left and you know you cant do business with a nicer/better person. :cheers:

Did jim ever ship those barrels? I thought he was still waiting on bolts?

(I had one ordered so if he has shipped some I probably ought to call him and check in...)

I got the 6.5 Grendel finished this weekend minus a peel washer. I forgot that it need a 9/16ths instead of 1/2. Turned out looking pretty good. Now I just need to find a scope that will suit my needs and some Krylon paint. What kind of scopes are you guys running? I really don't want to spend $1000+ for one right now. Just something I can get the rifle up and running and play with.

Chris C.

Sweet, I just love the Grendel round. I hear ya on the non-"std" barrel/threading, my main Grendel is a 3/4 x 24 and was difficult to find a comp for but I finally did. A WCI "pepper pot", which despite all the BS people push, is very effective.

I hear ya on scope prices too- I'm running a NightForce 1-4NXS mildot, but on my LR-308 I have a quick detach Nikko Sterling that for the price I can't believe the clarity and brighness- check them out.

Chris C.

Sweet, I just love the Grendel round. I hear ya on the non-"std" barrel/threading, my main Grendel is a 3/4 x 24 and was difficult to find a comp for but I finally did. A WCI "pepper pot", which despite all the BS people push, is very effective.

I hear ya on scope prices too- I'm running a NightForce 1-4NXS mildot, but on my LR-308 I have a quick detach Nikko Sterling that for the price I can't believe the clarity and brighness- check them out.

I think I might have to go with a Horus Vision and Larue mount. I played with one for a little today and got the hang of the reticle. This one had the H425 and I think I can't go wrong for the price. Glass was just so so but the reticle is the big seller here. I heard that a Night Force can be had with a H25 reticle installed. Now that would be the berries.

Now I just have to find a load that the barrel likes. :wacko:

Chris C.

I shot some factory 90 grn TNT and it grouped pretty good. My experience though with Sabre barrels are they shoot about par with other high end barrels but after about 150-200 rounds they really start to shine. Granted this barrel is new and I had a junk scope mounted to it so the data is suspect at best. The best group of the day was about a 0.80 and I'll take it for a rifle that really isn't close to being broke in yet.

I'm going to try to come up with a good 120 grn Nosler load for hunting. Any load data that I get I'll pass it along here. That said from what I've heard from other 6.5 shooters is what works well in my rifle doesn't mean that it will work in yours.

I'm having fun with it and it's neat to learn new stuff!

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

trapr

Trapr, there was a post from Lars at Umlaut Arms today, he's got some 18" WITH bolt in stock!

http://shop.umlautarms.com/product.sc?prod...p;categoryId=21

• 1 month later...

Well here's how it turned out. Seems that I might have to wait on a Horus till the first of the year so I put a Burris 3x9 on it to get me thru deer season.

post-10237-1256265030_thumb.jpg

post-10237-1256265155_thumb.jpg

It shoots pretty good with the right ammo. The barrel likes AA 90 grn TNT best but I'm still searching for a round with a little more punch. Recoil is next to nothing and I think the 7 year old boy should do just fine with it as he tries to bag his first deer this year.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I just got off the phone with my buddy (dwt is his handle here on the forum). He isn't running the grendal, but is running a 6.5 with a 14in barrel (pistol).

They started up a long-range plate match locally (Rayner's Range...running one every month next year/season).

I believe he is staying super-sonic out past 1,000y.

I just got off the phone with my buddy (dwt is his handle here on the forum). He isn't running the grendal, but is running a 6.5 with a 14in barrel (pistol).

They started up a long-range plate match locally (Rayner's Range...running one every month next year/season).

I believe he is staying super-sonic out past 1,000y.

That would be correct Flex. I'm not sure if that is true with a 14 inch barrel but it could be. So far it's been a badass little caliber. My hopes are to shoot this rifle one time in a 3 gun match next year. I'll have to take out a loan for the bullets.

Chris C.

The AMU guys were running their new cartridge/rifles at the USPSA MG in Las Vegas and did very well with them. Although those bright shiny mag extensions weren't real...uh..."tactical". ;)

Although I could have sworn they told me that what they were running was the Grendel necked out to .30. Whatever, they had no problems with the long range La Rue's and they rolled the R&R Flashers on my stage at 75 yards REALLY well.