Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easiest/Best way to remove Duracoat

smokshwn

I have a duracoated AR lower that I would like to remove the duracoat from. What is the best method without harming the underlying hard anodizing?

I got a couple of replies (thanks) before the last thread was closed but I would like to hear of other experiences as well.

Thanks in advance, Craig

media blast using low-ish air pressure,

when I do it, Its low and slow. looking carefully at the piece. A good cabinet with good clear windows and lighting helps a bunch.

Im assuming that you will be recoating it; if not, Id try some aircraft stripper.

Dont blast or sand it. A can of EPOXY stripper from Lowes/Home Depot. I forget the brand of best kind, Pharaoh Bender can tell you, but its stripped to metal in 5 minutes with no metal removed. Be careful its some nasty stuff. Gloves, eyes, and something you are throwing away to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an even tougher question. I have an Arctic Cat upper from DPMS that comes white, and was duracoated over that. Is there a way to remove the duracoat but not the white? So my question is kind of whether anyone knows what that coating would be from DPMS? Thanks

I have an even tougher question. I have an Arctic Cat upper from DPMS that comes white, and was duracoated over that. Is there a way to remove the duracoat but not the white? So my question is kind of whether anyone knows what that coating would be from DPMS? Thanks

probably duracoat or molyresin.

Youd be better off to just throw more white over it. Cheaper and easier.