Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chase customer service

Pittbug

Last night my wife asked me about some strange charges on our chase account she found while checking our account online. I had no recollection of traveling to Mississippi and buying cosmetics, so we decided they were fraudulent and called Chase customer service, using the number on the back of the card.

The person on the other end told me to call back after 7am because their systems were unavailable. My wife worked in banks for many years and was surprised at the response, so she called, but got the same answer. So now I just had to go to bed and hope that no one was going to rack up more charges on the card.

This morning my wife called again and she was told that her card wasn't going to be closed and that she had to call all of the merchants to request our money back. They also had to leave the card open so that the merchants could process the refunds. HUH????!?

Fortunately her brother is a branch manager at Chase so she called him to discuss. He got someone there to call their fraud department, immediately close the card and start getting the issue resolved.

With cc fraud being extremely prevalent today you'd think that the Chase 24/7 customer service line would respond appropriately as well have a dedicated number posted on their website's contact page.

I didn't think my questions were out of the ordinary and dealing with fraud is surely in their training. Even if they can't deal with it themselves, at least know who or where to pass the call on to.

I've dealt with fraud issues at other financial institutions and I always got someone to start dealing with the issue during the initial phone call. The first course of action was always to close the card to prevent any more charges.

Unbelievable.

My wife had to cancel her ATM/Debit card. Someone at the YMCA stole the money out of her wallet. The cards weren't taken, but just to be sure, we went ahead and started contacted the credit card companies. The ATM cards we have are through a local small town bank. There was no contact information on her card or bank statements. We ended up waiting until monday morning before we were able to get ahold of anyone. Gotta love local small town banks!

Isn't Chase the company with the slogan "there is more to life than money"? When your card gets run up with fraudulent charges, you should just remind Chase of that. :roflol:

Hmmmm. Last month I had a fraudulent charge on my chase visa card. No problems with customer service. They closed the account, reversed charges, and opened a new one within 5 minutes over the phone. Wells Fargo seems just as efficient. Now BofA, thats another story altogether. Notice a trend here? Seems like ALL of the large banks are hit and miss depending on who you get on the oither end of the phone.

Edited by larry cazes

I had my # stolen a few weeks ago, when I was on the road on my way to the R&R 3gun match.

Chase actually called me up, since they saw some weird charges on my card. They promptly closed the card and shipped out a new one that arrived a few days after I got home.

I too got a call. Wachovia called me and the nice lady asked me when the last time I had used my car was. Since the only time I use it normally is to withdraw money at the ATM on my way out of town each week, I knew. "So the following are not yours..." and she listed off charges. Gave her my fax number and she sent me the paperwork to start all the refunds. In the end, we managed to determine the validity of all but one charge.

What I think is cool is the software the use to do pattern recognition to spot fraud!

Hmmmm. Last month I had a fraudulent charge on my chase visa card. No problems with customer service. They closed the account, reversed charges, and opened a new one within 5 minutes over the phone. Wells Fargo seems just as efficient. Now BofA, thats another story altogether. Notice a trend here? Seems like ALL of the large banks are hit and miss depending on who you get on the oither end of the phone.

I had the same experience 3 months ago with Chase.

Wonder if Pitts experience was due to policy or poor training.

Randy

BE: That really sucks. I'm sure when the account was set up back then, the processor set you up as a retail store to get the lower rates.

Flex: Wow, it's pretty scary to think that they were able to steal that many cards.

I hate Chase as well. We had a joint card with higher than some and lower than others balances.

We set up the on line bill pay portion.

Made payments for year and a half no issues.

They then make a change to the process and you have to click on the last screen acknowledging payment.

Well missed that one two months ago and blam got hit with late fees, jumped interest 9.95% from where it was.

Called them and the lady was nasty as all get out. I told her that they can see when I logged in they can see that account was accessed for payment so why is she now telling me that I had no intention to pay. Any way I pay the balance get the card current and all is good right nope - will not budge on the interest rate what so ever. So went to the bank this AM and now have a Home equity loan for the pay off amount with an interest rate of 4.5% for 2 years and done. Now why did I not do this before. Now the next time I talk to some one at Chase it will to tell them where they can put the canceled and closed CC.

Pittbug,

So how fast did you cancel your account(s) with Chase? In situations like this I won't give them a second chance. One person making a mistake is bad, two people is unforgivable in my book. :angry2:

CYa,

Pat

Pat, for what it's worth, if you left them where would you go to? The point of my post is that I have had very good and very bad service from ALL of the major banks. I have had accounts at WAMU, Wells Fargo, BofA, Wachovia, Tech Fed CU, and a host of others through the years and they ALL have issues at times. The problem is not isolated to one or two banks it is systemic.

Larry, Z,

Unless you are in hock up to your proverbial eyeballs there are always other, better alternatives. I have been a member of a local credit union for the last 25 years. Checking, a small savings account, debit and credit cards. I've had a few small problems but all of them have been taken care of in my favor because they value their customers. This CU offers all the same products as the bigger international institutions usually at better rates. You might start looking for smaller local alternatives. What have you got to lose?

CYa,

Pat