Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about casting

mwx40x40

They work and a good way to get started casting with mimimal equipment. Most casters end up going to a lube-sizer and different bullets, fewer but larger lube groves. I will still use the lee tumble bullets if loading for a caliber I don't plan to use much or to see how things are going to work out.

Boats

I use them in 45 and 9mm. I usually size the 9mm with the lee push through sizer, but not the 45's (don't seem to need it). Some of the TL mold bullet shapes didn't work as well as the standard lube grooves bullet shapes, What mold are you looking at?

45 cal 230 RN and 357 158 RN

I have a friend that runs the 230gr truncated cone tumble lube lee bullets with great success. Alot depends on how hard you make the bullet. It is my understanding that the harder the bullet, the more likely it is to cool over size. He wrote an article on it a few months ago about casting for USPSA shooting. I will try and find a link for you.

Randy

I use them in 45 and 9mm. I usually size the 9mm with the lee push through sizer, but not the 45's (don't seem to need it). Some of the TL mold bullet shapes didn't work as well as the standard lube grooves bullet shapes, What mold are you looking at?

45 cal 230 RN and 357 158 RN

With the 230 RN, I've had better luck with the 228 RN 1R in a 1911. The 230 RNTL 2R has a shoulder where the the TL groves start that caused some feeding problems. The feeding problems were similar to what happened when 200/185 swc's were loaded too short. Everyone's gun will be a little different, my M&P will feed all of them at any length.

The LLA stinks when you drop a mag into loose dirt, junk all over the bullet. Works very well though, I used a lot of it with the not TL bullets with great success.

Part of the deal with the TL bullets is they "size" themselves upon firing, lots of folks use them.

The LLA stinks when you drop a mag into loose dirt, junk all over the bullet. Works very well though, I used a lot of it with the not TL bullets with great success.

Part of the deal with the TL bullets is they "size" themselves upon firing, lots of folks use them.

I noticed that too, and ordered a product called "Rooster Lube" , it's supposed dry to a hard non-sticky finish. I guess I will find out how true that is shortly.

Hi mwx40X40! I cast probably 30,000 .40 cal 175 Lee Tumble Lubes over the course of about 8 years. I found that the accuracy wasn't the best in my guns. They make killer high volume practice rounds, though.

In my experience, it is worth the extra step to get a Lee sizer die that threads into the top of a single stage press and just use one of their regular bullet shapes. Very low cost for that die and it works great. The deal is, a lead handgun bullet doesn't need a ton of lube if the bore is smooth and the lead is the correct hardness. This is where a good barrel like a Bar-Sto or Kart really saves time. Smooth bore= little to no leading. If leading becomes a problem, a rough bore can be lapped.

Tumble Lubing is a great time saving idea, but it also puts lube a lot of places you don't need it. You can also take the time to wipe down the bullet noses with a little solvent after the rounds are loaded. That way the lube isn't attracting dirt from every place imaginable. I shoot cast bullets in my handguns almost exclusively. If it weren't for casting, I would shoot a lot less. -Sam

I have used the Rooster Lube. It's easy to use, you pour it over the bullets and let it drain off. It dries clear and hard but there is one big downside. It tends to collect inside the seating die and will change your OAL. It was more trouble than it was worth for me. I still use the Lee lube for most practice bullets.

I can testify to what AZshooter said. I am using the LEE 175 TC and the LEE 124 TC regular bullets with the Alox and have good success. Most of the time I do not size, but when I do I use the LEE push through sizer.

Edited by toddrod