Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Head Stamps

Casey Sue

I'm new to USPSA this year and I'm shooting a Glock 34 with a Lone Wolf barrel. So far, I am shooting new cartridges. I have been saving all of the brass that I can but it's not all the same (I get what I can). How important is it to keep the head stamps together, or doesn't it make that much difference for reloading? Also, how many times can you load a 9MM case safely?

It doesn't matter if you shoot different mfg brass together since they are all made to the same specs. I reload and my mags are full of brass from all sorts of mfg, CCI, Remington, Federal, Winchester etc etc. There is also a mixture of brass and nickel cartridges in there also.

I don't think there is a certain set # on how many times 9mm cases can be reloaded. The best answer is "a lot" and have heard of people reloading them more than 10x. You are much more likely to loose them before their reloading life has expired.

Case volume between different manufacturers vary to a small extent where it will affect standard deviation and extreme spread data.

Me personally, I'll load one brand of once fired headstamp brass for big matches and when doing load developement.

Practice and local matches, I'll load whatever I can get my hands on

It doesn't matter if you shoot different mfg brass together since they are all made to the same specs. I reload and my mags are full of brass from all sorts of mfg, CCI, Remington, Federal, Winchester etc etc. There is also a mixture of brass and nickel cartridges in there also.

I don't think there is a certain set # on how many times 9mm cases can be reloaded. The best answer is "a lot" and have heard of people reloading them more than 10x. You are much more likely to loose them before their reloading life has expired.

I know the OP was asking about a production gun, but just to clarify I don't think you can reload 9mm "a lot" if you're loading for major 9mm in an open gun. Correct me if I am wrong please.

9 major brass can be worked over pretty good. But I know for a fact I have picked it up at matches and reloaded it to minor pf. Just check the cases before you load them and pay attention to primer retention. As for headstamps I don't separate mine. If you take the time to do so you will notice a difference in readings from one brand to another. But I am working on a load to make 135 pf to never worry about failing a match chrono. I have not seen enough variation to worry about it if I keep pf that high. If you try to load real close to 125 then you better pay attention to heastamps as they will vary enough to cause you problems at chrono. Also look out for certain brands of brass you may pick up. You can search on here for them but for me personally LY brass cause big problems due to thin case walls and loose primer pockets. (bullets won't stay put and primers will fall out)

I'm part of the OCD group that sorts brass by headstamp and then chrono's each brand for best accuracy and velocity. I use lots of different brands in practice but for any level III I want the brand that gives me the smallest extreme spread with the lowest velocity at least 5 points above PF.

I load my brass until it splits or the priomers pop out too easily.

You will make the most consistent, accurate ammo with all-matched headstamps. Brass holds slightly different volumes by lot and brand, and will seal slightly differently to the chamber, which can also affect velocity.

However, most of us, including myself, don't bother. My ammo is accurate enough, and reliable enough, without the hassle of doing that.

Shooting minor loads (production) you will likely lose the brass before it wears out. That takes a long time. I know I have some that has been reloaded 6-12 times. I just pitch it when it tears at the case mouth, and that's rare.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just switched to using all one brand of brass (Star Line).

Capacity is not the only issue.

I started measuring the rims and extractor groves on different brands and found that there is variation in that area. I think this variable effects extraction and ejection.

My STI Steel Master will drop the same brand brass in one pile (about 12" diameter) consistently. Mixed brass has a much larger dispersion.

I feel that eliminating variation is the key to reliable and repeatable performance.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that brass with the head stamp, "CBC" doesn't seem to reload at all well for the 9MM. Can't seat a bullet without it swelling out so much that it won't chamber. It is the head stamp from Mag-Tech. I just went through all of my brass and junked all of the brass with this head stamp. Anyone else have a problem with it?