Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Trigger in the works.. here's the update

sinnsyk

Just to let everyone know we have been working on the new trigger. And I have a question...

The prototyping of the new, flat trigger is 95% finished. I'm sourcing some new springs, pins, adjustment screws etc. Quite a bit of details going into this trigger. It will be made out of 416 stainless steel. It's a tight trigger with no sideways slop and from my testing will allow a very tight pre- and over-travel adjustment. Pretty cool and it'll be a huge improvement on the EAA / Tanfoglio trigger. It tightens up the movement which will be felt in a smoother trigger pull and shorter reset etc.

We've been working until the early morning for several days and we came up with a great idea last night. And idea that'll take us a little longer to develop, but will give a super nice flexibility.

The goal is to make one trigger that accomplishes all the goals set forth in the poll that's been running for a while. However, we have the option to go into production on a short, flat trigger. It'll have all the pre- and over-travel adjustment that we've been working on. My machinist and I were talking last night about holding off on production until we get the final one-trigger-fits-all ready.

But... we can start making the shortest possible trigger ever made for these guns... It looks super-racy / tech and will be the perfect trigger for anyone with small hands / short fingers. I don't have small hands and I like it and could use it. So that's the word I'm putting out... should we get started and make them? It'll still take a little while to get all the parts sourced, but we can start producing the actual trigger and get it out quite a bit quicker than the one-for-all trigger.

Opinions ? Please everyone looking for a shorter trigger say YES.

I have smaller hands, but I don't have trouble reaching the current trigger. I would like a tighter and better designed trigger, but don't feel the need for a shorter one.

I have much more trouble with the magazine release and my short thumbs. Drilling and tapping that puppy is a royal pain, and I refuse to blow more cash after two unsuccessful attempts at extended releases.

Just to let everyone know we have been working on the new trigger. And I have a question...

The prototyping of the new, flat trigger is 95% finished. I'm sourcing some new springs, pins, adjustment screws etc. Quite a bit of details going into this trigger. It will be made out of 416 stainless steel. It's a tight trigger with no sideways slop and from my testing will allow a very tight pre- and over-travel adjustment. Pretty cool and it'll be a huge improvement on the EAA / Tanfoglio trigger. It tightens up the movement which will be felt in a smoother trigger pull and shorter reset etc.

We've been working until the early morning for several days and we came up with a great idea last night. And idea that'll take us a little longer to develop, but will give a super nice flexibility.

The goal is to make one trigger that accomplishes all the goals set forth in the poll that's been running for a while. However, we have the option to go into production on a short, flat trigger. It'll have all the pre- and over-travel adjustment that we've been working on. My machinist and I were talking last night about holding off on production until we get the final one-trigger-fits-all ready.

But... we can start making the shortest possible trigger ever made for these guns... It looks super-racy / tech and will be the perfect trigger for anyone with small hands / short fingers. I don't have small hands and I like it and could use it. So that's the word I'm putting out... should we get started and make them? It'll still take a little while to get all the parts sourced, but we can start producing the actual trigger and get it out quite a bit quicker than the one-for-all trigger.

My vote has always been for triggers first :) So I am in.

leo

I need one. Actually i already made one myself six months ago and been using it since then. works good. it's made of aluminum. will post picture if i can.

Thanks,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

The new short, straight trigger is half-way in machining production. Looks great, made from 416 stainless. The new solid trigger pin is also made simultaneously. Diameter on the pin is 0.0990" which will sit tight in the frame. It's held in with a matching nut as the pin is threaded and uses a torx head to tighten with. Also made from 416 stainless and hardened. The over-travel screw is a 3-48 set screw which uses the 0.050" Bondhus screwdriver I use for all my basepads and the Fiber Front Sight. This makes it easy as you'll only need that one tool to adjust all the parts that I make for the gun. The pre-travel screw will also use the 0.050" allen. The final piece to the puzzle is the new trigger return spring which I've sent off to get manufactured. I'm bringing the whip to make sure everyone involved is on top of it so I can have a complete trigger system come together at the same time. The prototypes works great and allows for much tighter adjustments.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a peek at the prototype short trigger this evening. This thing is SWEET !!!! For those with small hands the short trigger is going to make a huge difference. The trigger surface is totally flat so you could stick grip tape to it if you wanted.

When the long ones come out I'll be getting one fitted, just got Henning's new pins installed and they are super-tight, no more wobbly hammer/sears.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, a few updates:

I've got the finished machine triggers ready and they are gorgeous. I've got one in my gun right now and testing it with various kinds of trigger return springs. The trigger sits tight in the frame which is one of the most important things I wanted to address.

I also just received the new trigger pin which is a solid pin with threads that accept a screw to hold in place. The pin is 0.099" which fits snug in the trigger pin hole. The trigger has a hole that is 0.005" bigger to let the trigger rotate freely. Both trigger, trigger pin and nut are made in stainless steel and hardened.

So now I'm only waiting on two parts: the trigger return spring which is going to be the lightest possible spring that will return (reset) the trigger. I'm hoping to have it in 1-2 weeks. The other part is the trigger pre-travel screw. Not cutting corners anywhere I'm having a stainless pre-travel screw made to my exact dimensions. These will have a large surface so that the trigger will be easy to adjust pre-travel in the frame. This part should be in production and I'm also hoping to have it in a few weeks. I'm having Emma check with the shop on Monday while I'm hunting.

Really, the new trigger is a gigantic improvement over the factory and has numerous details that you'll enjoy when you see it. I will have pictures and a full article when I've got everything done up. As I've mentioned several times this will be a short trigger which many are waiting on. I think your prayers will be heard, it'll surprise you when you see it. Once we've got the short trigger available, we will start working on the more complicated adjustable length trigger.

;-)