Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Q: Legal to take out firing pin block safety in Single Stack?

soundwave

Hi all.

I have a Kimber Custom II. Love the gun and am gearing up to begin shooting Single Stack with it, but found something a little bothersome. I broke it down the other day and saw it has an integrated firing pin block safety tied into the grip safety.

First thing I though was...why? What's the point?

I would rather just take out the pin from the frame and block/spring from the slide, which would disable the whole thing, but leave me with the 2 "normal" 1911 safeties.

My question is - Is modifying the gun in this way legal for Single Stack?

Thanks!

Edited by soundwave

It's a part that only a lawyer could love. The original Colt Series 80 version was bad enough, but Kimber "designed" one that was even worse. There's no prohibition against deactivating it in USPSA SS. It's foreign to the 1911 and you won't find them in premium guns.

yes, its legal to remove it. One thing that you can do to it, is when you have it out, look and see where it is dinged from the firing pin hitting it are. then chuck it up to a drill and using a file or stone, turn it down to a nice smooth radius. You'll have a safety that will still work, but won't reguire that the safety be down all the way.

yes, its legal to remove it. One thing that you can do to it, is when you have it out, look and see where it is dinged from the firing pin hitting it are. then chuck it up to a drill and using a file or stone, turn it down to a nice smooth radius. You'll have a safety that will still work, but won't reguire that the safety be down all the way.

I would caution anyone doing this; to reduce the height of the plunger, even by just radiusing it, is to mess around with the timing of the 80 or swartz lever.

Often, the difference between a free moving firing pin and one that is hindered by a not fully depressed plunger is a few thousandths..

just take the darn thing out if it bothers ya, imo.