Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The gas you use

kevin c

I read this informative article:

http://www.aaps-federation.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9

I've been using Power Green G-1000, which I had thought was propane, but turns out to be HCFC-22. I have metal slide HFC and KSC Glock GBB's, and the vendors specified HCFC-22 or HFC-134A.

Who out there is using straight (plus silicone oil) propane instead of "green gas"? Any appreciable performance difference (I already know about the cost and odor difference, and the need to lubricate gas from the propane bottle)?

edit to fix company name

Edited by kevin c

I read this informative article:

http://www.aaps-federation.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9

I've been using Power Green G-1000, which I had thought was propane, but turns out to be HCFC-22. I have metal slide FSC and KSC Glock GBB's, and the vendors specified HCFC-22 or HFC-134A.

Who out there is using straight (plus silicone oil) propane instead of "green gas"? Any appreciable performance difference (I already know about the cost and odor difference, and the need to lubricate gas from the propane bottle)?

I have only used propane with my airsoft so I have no reference for performance with green gas. I have used a friends airsoft with GG and I noticed no significant difference but it is really not a fair comparison. As for the smell, I shoot matches at Norco, so a bad smell is normal :rolleyes: (Propane is pretty stinky so you need ventilation) I have 4 mags and I usually only do 2 loads before ADD sets in but it seems that I get about 2.5 full mag runs before running out of gas with WE hi cap mags. I shoot some silicone oil into the tank orifice prior to putting on the adaptor. I fill the mags with the bottle upside down with a count to 10.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I got a propane can adaptor that has a little resivoir to put a drop of silicone in. Seems to work fine. When I got my first airsoft I had a can of green gas - it was expensive and when it ran out I switched to propane.

I've tried both and can't tell the difference, I get my silicone at the hobby store it's real light and is used for the shock absorbers on R.C. cars.

(I used to shoot Norco years ago I'd forgotten about the smoldering berms)

Edited by Glockcomma

I have tried the same gas as you are using and regular propane. I found that the gun and magazines perform much better and with a lot less stink and hassle of adding the messy silicone. The money saved was in no way worth using regular propane. YMMV ;) I have been sticking with Power Green G-1000 ever since.

FYI, both my KSC G17 and a buddies WE Hi-Capa 5.1 chrono a consistent 310-315 FPS ... it didn't matter if we used Green Gas or propane.

See, this is what I like to see. Instead of the people who just "know" there's a big difference in power between propane and Green Gas, and that the former will damage your gun, to see people who actually go test them out, run both over a chronograph, and find out they perform exactly the same.