Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to get someone going into the Navy?

Long story, but I just bought a bicycle off a person on Craigslist. Turns out he just graduated from highschool, living at home, working two jobs, and is very excited about heading off to join the Navy to hopefully make it into SpecWar and become a Seal or EOD diver one day.

He sounds like he's working his ass off to pay off all his bills before he goes into basic. I think that's pretty damn admirable (1) that he wants to serve our country and protect our freedom and (2) that at 18 years old he's acting like a responsible adult, which is pretty uncommon for a lot of people these days.

For someone about to go off to basic training for the Navy, what's something I can get him that will actually be useful during basic or in his first few months/years? I'd appreciate the inputs from folks who've been there. What did you wish you had?

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch - Awesome story! It is even more cool that you want to help him out.

From I guy thats been there done that....whatever you get him he DOES NOT want to take it with him to Boot Camp! He won't be able to use it anyway.

Giving it some quick thought....after Basic, and something he could use especially if attending SEAL training - a good watch.

Another quick one - and he could use at Basic would be running shoes. Call a recruiter and he will give you the updated color standards.

BP

Check that, as per the website - "You can purchase a NEX Gift Card in NEX stores with cash, money order, Traveler's Check, Military Star Card, Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express."

So you probably need an ID card. Let me know if you need help.

Steve

I can tell you from experience. I was one of those Drill Sergeants that did not let trainees have shit while they belonged to me. Phone card maybe but we never let our guys use phones until about 3 weeks in. Gift card maybe but he will probably lose it in the mud he will be crawling through and they get all they NEED while in basic. Watch No. He will probably destroy it in basic. I would focus on after basic if it were me. Watch, gift card, magazine subscriptions, or a nice reunion weekend with his girlfriend.

If you want to make basic easier buy his drill sergeant something. :rolleyes: (not that that EVER happened) But seriously, thanks for thinking of him and buy him a fancy dinner when he comes home from basic.

" What to get someone going into the Navy?"

My dad ( who till that point didn't show much of a sense of humor at all around me) bought me soap on a rope!!! True story...

I would agree to wait and do something for him after he gets out of basic. If he really is a good kid, he'll be even better next time you see him after basic!

It's be over 25 years since I was in basic so not sure if things have changed. We did get to take running shoes, but rasion headed squids don't have to run much. I did take a pretty good pair with me and got to use them. I think the farthest we ever ran at one time was 3 miles or less. That might have changed thou... Most times he'll be wearing boots. The one thing we could get is mail. If he has a girlfriend buy her a book of stamps and challenge her to use them all and come back for more!!!

When he gets out of basic and goes to his school then duty station a cool thing to do would be buy him a 4 year or so subscription to a magazine he likes. Gift cards and stuff are terrific, but each month when he gets that magazine he'll appreciate the gesture. If he can't think of a mag that he would want get him Maxim or one of the PG rated mags with hot chicks on the pages. His buddies will love you!!! lol...

I am retired Marine Corps and my son is active duty right now. A graduation gift is a better idea. I know it sounds goofy but I usually bought nice durable watches for graduation gifts. Nothing more important for a young Private ore Seaman then to be on time.

He will be issued all the clothes he will need in boot camp. Almost anything you bring with you will be taken away. He will buy whatever he needs at the PX. Shortly after Moses crossed the Red Sea, I did my boot camp. In those days for the first few weeks, they are isolated. After a set number of weeks they actually get some free time. The one thing I learned was not to listen about the socks. Wear one pair and let the other pair dry. Everyone got blisters breaking in the boon dockers. The key was to wear two pairs of socks. Give him some advice, it will be more valuable than any gift. Tell him to learn his general orders, look at a spot between the eyes on the forehead when talking to a Chief and never never ever say Yes Sir to a Chief. They will rip him a new Ass@^@%^le. They go by their first name always--CHIEF.

You pretty much do not want to get them anything to start boot camp. The gift card is kind of a good idea. Anything the Chief does not want them to have will be taken from them. After a few weeks things really do lighten up. Eventually, he will get weekend leave chits to leave the base but until then he might be confined to the base.

The real key is to wait until they go to an A school. But he could be sent to a shipyard to pull scut duty until a slot opens. I was a lucky one, I had a car while in A school. 85% of the students did not have one. Additionally, my roommate had been there for a while and clued me in on all the smart stuff to do.

Knives might not be a good idea. Some bases really frown on personal weapons. Others not so much.

• 9 years later...
On 8/12/2009 at 9:27 AM, Bigpops said:

one other - The Navy Exchange has gift cards. One of those could go a long way as he updates uniforms, replaces shoes, shops, etc.

On 8/12/2009 at 9:27 AM, Bigpops said:

one other - The Navy Exchange has gift cards. One of those could go a long way as he updates uniforms, replaces shoes, shops, etc.

You also have to be affiliated to even buy a gift card online at Navy Exchange.  Just an FYI