Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

November

Duane Thomas

This month's Win a Book contest consists of identifying the following movie quotes. The oldest movie quoted here was released in 1948, the newest in 2000. To have a correct answer, you must identify the movie and name the actor(s)/actress(es) being quoted. For instance:

1. Al Pacino, Insomnia.

2. Jim Carrey & Jennifer Tilly, Liar Liar.

3. Etc.

1. "Lloyd, as a friend: stay away from alcohol."

2. "You ain't no lady, no, miss. That's what my poor old mother would say to you. If my poor old mother were to hear you... Whose boat is this, anyway? I asked you on board because I was sorry for you, on account of you losing your brother and all. That's what you get for feeling sorry for people. Well, I ain't sorry no more. You crazy, psalm singing, skinny old maid!"

3. "So, there you go. Less than Madonna, more than Princess Di. I hope."

4. "Kill the priest. Quickly. He is the real danger."

5. "This sword has been in my family for five generations. It has never known defeat. Until now."

6. "I feel as if I'd swallowed a symphony orchestra playing the most beautiful music in the world."

"In two worlds, darling."

7. "You're seeing a whole team of psychiatrists, aren't you?"

"I don't blame you for thinking that, but no, I'm not. I swear to God, I am the least crazy person I have ever known."

8. "Am I upsetting you, princess? You know, you want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: it's gonna be cold. It's gonna be gray. And it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."

9. "Don't you say another word. You was the only one that was a friend to me. And I love you. You're the soul of this town, Miz Wilson. And you just need to keep doing what you're doing."

10. "I want you to know that I will forget you after this moment and never think of you again. But you, I am quite certain, will think about me every single day for the rest of your life."

• 2 weeks later...

With a couple of weeks left in the month and only a few guesses, it strikes me some serious clues might be in order. Here are the names of the actrors and actresses. All you have to do it match them to the movie.

Drew Barrymore

Humphrey Bogart

Michael Caine

Kevin Costner

Ava Gardner

Rutger Hauer

James Earl Jones

Andie MacDowell

Bill Murray

Michael Nouri

Giovanni Ribisi

Robert Walker

1. Michael Nouri, The Hidden

2. Humphry Bogart, The African Queen

3. Andie Macdowell, Four Weddings and a Funeral

4. Ava Gardner, Priest of Love

5. Rutger Hauer, Ladyhawke

6. Michael Caine, Austin Powers In Goldmember

7. James Earl Jones, Kevin Costner, Field of Dreams

8. Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

9. Giovanni Ribisi, The Gift

10. Drew Barrymore, Ever After

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since the month is over and we gotta have a winner, who might that be Duane?

Man, that was tough. I'm looking forward to making December's question fun and easy for everyone!! You know, as a Christmas present.

;)

The winner is exoninja with 8 correct answers.

Here is the answer key:

1. "Lloyd, as a friend: stay away from alcohol."

Michael Nouri, The Hidden, 1987.

2. "You ain't no lady, no, miss. That's what my poor old mother would say to you. If my poor old mother were to hear you... Whose boat is this, anyway? I asked you on board because I was sorry for you, on account of you losing your brother and all. That's what you get for feeling sorry for people. Well, I ain't sorry no more. You crazy, psalm singing, skinny old maid!"

Humphrey Bogart, The African Queen, 1951.

3. "So, there you go. Less than Madonna, more than Princess Di. I hope."

Andie MacDowell, Four Weddings and a Funeral, 1994.

4. "Kill the priest. Quickly. He is the real danger."

Michael Caine, The Last Valley, 1970.

5. "This sword has been in my family for five generations. It has never known defeat. Until now."

Rutger Hauer, Ladyhawke, 1985.

6. "I feel as if I'd swallowed a symphony orchestra playing the most beautiful music in the world."

"In two worlds, darling."

Robert Walker & Ava Gardner, One Touch of Venus, 1948.

7. "You're seeing a whole team of psychiatrists, aren't you?"

"I don't blame you for thinking that, but no, I'm not. I swear to God, I am the least crazy person I have ever known."

James Earl Jones & Kevin Costner, Field of Dreams, 1989.

8. "Am I upsetting you, princess? You know, you want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: it's gonna be cold. It's gonna be gray. And it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."

Bill Murray, Groundhog Day, 1993.

9. "Don't you say another word. You was the only one that was a friend to me. And I love you. You're the soul of this town, Miz Wilson. And you just need to keep doing what you're doing."

Giovanni Ribisi, The Gift, 2000.

10. "I want you to know that I will forget you after this moment and never think of you again. But you, I am quite certain, will think about me every single day for the rest of your life."

Drew Barrymore, Ever After: A Cinderella Story, 1998.