Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice Magwell for 1911

BN91205

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that gap in the front is going to be there on all magwells. You can get the SV which doesn't have it, but then you have the choice, dremel out the magwell or cut the lip off the front of the magazine.

I ordered a couple of these too and can't wait to check them out.

I think that gap in the front is going to be there on all magwells. You can get the SV which doesn't have it, but then you have the choice, dremel out the magwell or cut the lip off the front of the magazine.

I'm sure it fits differently on different guns but I didn't have to dremel the magwell or the magazine basepads (Wilson DE's) with the SVI on my Trojan. The closed in front is one of the things I liked about the SVI.

Sorry.. I was by the shop when they had the first batch in, but didn't get any pics. The opening at the front is for the 'lip' most mags have-- it's covered at the top. IIRC Dave is planning to make a version without that gap, but you'll need to buy special basepads for it. The overall opening is a good size. Maybe 3x the width of a SS magazine and some angle front-to-back as well.

I'm sure it fits differently on different guns but I didn't have to dremel the magwell or the magazine basepads (Wilson DE's) with the SVI on my Trojan. The closed in front is one of the things I liked about the SVI.

I also use the Wilson DE's for my Trojan and the magazine would not insert in the gun because the lip on the front of the mag was striking the magwell. I ordered a set of Techwells and was going to replace the SVI magwell and MSH only to find out the Techwell was already relieved in that area also.

Can you get me a pic of you magwell with and without a mag inserted. Thanks!

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0A47-1248106733

They're selling at an intro price of $95.95! Comes in tactical black or brushed silver. Pretty cool! Now they just need to bring back the Ice Magwell for all my Para's and I'm set.

B

Would like to hear from other members whether they think the Dawson will work with Wilson 47Ds, EMTs and CMC Power 8s without modification because those are the mags I'm using! :surprise:

+1 on bringing back the Para Ice Magwell, especially the one that was designed to fit frames that were previously fitted with an S&A. :cheers:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0A47-1248106733

They're selling at an intro price of $95.95! Comes in tactical black or brushed silver. Pretty cool! Now they just need to bring back the Ice Magwell for all my Para's and I'm set.

B

Would like to hear from other members whether they think the Dawson will work with Wilson 47Ds, EMTs and CMC Power 8s without modification because those are the mags I'm using! :surprise:

+1 on bringing back the Para Ice Magwell, especially the one that was designed to fit frames that were previously fitted with an S&A. :cheers:

With the relief cut in the front I'd suspect they'd work with most any mag. I'm considering ordering one. I love the Techwell, but this looks pretty cool too and I like the insert because you know they're slippery as heck to help a slightly off reload. R,

Just ordered on to try out. Will also post what I find and some pictures upon it's arrival.

Thanks. Can't wait to see the pics. I have a feeling I'm gonna get one. The tough part will be deciding which color to order :roflol:

Yeah, yours is different from mine. Have you had it long? It might be an updated version with the relief cut already in it. I had to cut mine myself. I did the last one with a dremel, but future projects will be done on the mill. Cutting it out on the mill will prevent the relief from going all the way through, which is something you'd have a real hard time with using a dremel.

Edited by kgunz11

Yeah, yours is different from mine. Have you had it long? It might be an updated version with the relief cut already in it. I had to cut mine myself. I did the last one with a dremel, but future projects will be done on the mill.

All 3 of mine look like that.

Yeah, yours is different from mine. Have you had it long? It might be an updated version with the relief cut already in it. I had to cut mine myself. I did the last one with a dremel, but future projects will be done on the mill.

I can't remeber when I got it. Over a year, maybe 2 years?

OK, I have refrained from posting on this one, but I must say, it looks VERY good, and that is coming from a dedicated SV 1911 magwell advocate.

I am NOT a fan of gaps, and like others would like to see bottom photos.

How does it attach to the frame?

Overall, from initial glance, it looks like a winner.

All 3 of mine look like that.

Yeah, I have had mine a little over three years and it came with the cut for the mag lip.

They say it will fit in the IDPA box but how is the weight? I have an S&A on my Kimber at the moment but I like the look of the Dawson.

My aluminum SVI makes weight I wouldn't see why the Dawson wouldn't. Most SA are steel anyway.