Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

226 X5 All Around

ammowaster

What are those reasons?

I wasn't planning on replying to this thread, to keep the peace, as it were, but didn't want to ignore your reply.

I didn't add the reasons as it would have been pretty major thread drift as it's not specific to Sigs or the All Around (or any other gun really). If you want to start another thread wherever that might fit, I'd be glad to share my thoughts.

Edit to add: On topic, I'd be very interested to hear what the best accuracy folks have seen with their All Around, but only if it was no BS, measured groups, no flyers discounted, no "best three of five" etc. I know they're an accurate gun, but hard numbers are always nice.

Edited by G-ManBart

On topic, I'd be very interested to hear what the best accuracy folks have seen with their All Around, but only if it was no BS, measured groups, no flyers discounted, no "best three of five" etc. I know they're an accurate gun, but hard numbers are always nice.

The factory test target that came with my Allround is 1.125" for a five shot group, shot at 25 meters. Not sure if that is off a rest or freestyle.

On topic, I'd be very interested to hear what the best accuracy folks have seen with their All Around, but only if it was no BS, measured groups, no flyers discounted, no "best three of five" etc. I know they're an accurate gun, but hard numbers are always nice.

The factory test target that came with my Allround is 1.125" for a five shot group, shot at 25 meters. Not sure if that is off a rest or freestyle.

Hmm, my old, German 226 would keep them under an inch at 25 yards. I would have thought an All Around would be better.

Hmm, my old, German 226 would keep them under an inch at 25 yards. I would have thought an All Around would be better.

the target a gun ships with does not indicate it's best performance. I doubt that once the testers made sure it met the requirements they continue testing each pistol to try and ring out the best accuracy. They are a mass production company, once the get an acceptable group they probably clean it, box it up and ship it.

What are those reasons?

I wasn't planning on replying to this thread, to keep the peace, as it were, but didn't want to ignore your reply.

I didn't add the reasons as it would have been pretty major thread drift as it's not specific to Sigs or the All Around (or any other gun really). If you want to start another thread wherever that might fit, I'd be glad to share my thoughts.

Edit to add: On topic, I'd be very interested to hear what the best accuracy folks have seen with their All Around, but only if it was no BS, measured groups, no flyers discounted, no "best three of five" etc. I know they're an accurate gun, but hard numbers are always nice.

Agreed Mr. Bart.

My All Around shoots most everything fine, naturally some better than others. For the most part, heavier bullets seem better in it. Yet in my P226, the same 147s that I love in the AA are rather sad. But it will drill 115s on top of each other all day.

I will dig the box out of the safe and check the test target on it. I don't care how it does with someone else shooting unknown ammo. All I care is how I do with what I feed it.

It's accurate enough that I plan on shooting some Bianchi matches (not necessarily the Cup) with it this year.

Craig

• 3 months later...

Shot my new X-5 Allround today, no complaints, shot about 300 misc.rnds, no problems, extraction excellent, DA a little heavy but smooth, SA very crisp, under 3#. The trigger is nice enough, I'm going to shoot it just like it is. Oh, did I tell you, it is accurate. If I had 20 year old eyes, no telling how well this thing would shoot. Thumbs up for my A-5 Allround.

Then again if you have money to burn and really want a new pistol, an Allround is a fine choice.

Oh I wish that was the case.

The only thing I could do immediately is sell the sig and buy another pistol. If I want something like the all around I will have to save a while.

I have heard a lot of people comment that the all arounds could benefit from the Grayguns workover as well which doesnt sit well with me considering the initial cost.

The more I crunch the numbers I think I should just stick with the sig until I am ready to move into open or limited.

I will probably never figure it out <_<

No doubt about it, the X-Five series are rifles in pistol form when it comes to accuracy.

Going off the previous claim of someone getting 1.5" at 50yds (which I don't believe for a number of reasons) it would make for a pretty inaccurate rifle. Heck, 1.5" at 100yds isn't very accurate for a rifle! :surprise:

Edit to add: The above was only meant to poke fun (as in :P ) at what seemed to be a silly post...nothing more, and it's not a swipe at Sig or the All Around. R,

Gman:

Oh ye of little faith!!!

I've seen Jason shoot my Nowlin 9mm from prone at 50yds to a .78" group (6 shots). Get the ammo right and it will shoot even better. My 6" Springfield with Schuemann barrel (extensively worked on by Derrick)will shoot just over a .5" group at 50 yds. It is a pricey thing to get his kind of accuracy, but in Action Pistol it is worth it (I hope). Getting the right loads, etc. must not be overlooked, but accuracy is possible.

Jason and I worked over a Buckmark and finally hit the combination of ammo(Green Tag)and gun to get under .5" at 50yds (10 shot group).

Maybe you ought to shoot groups every now and then (Brian recommends this as a primary means to excellence). ;-)

Best regards,

Jim Taylor