Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

226 X5 All Around

ammowaster

Anyone running a all around. I am thinking about changing up guns and I have been wondering if the all around is noticeably better than a 226 stainless(current gun) or a elite stainless?

They look very nice but they are spendy

Thanks

They are much better than the 226 line. I don't even know why they say 226 on the slide. I like the 226 - but really- two different guns.

Buy one...take a picture...post it!

Great choice for production!

Good luck!

I've been playing around with an Allround for about two months now. When it works, it shoots like a dream. It really is a rifle in pistol form.

I've had serious extraction issues with my Allround. The internal extractor is flaky at best.

Kept reasonably clean, the external extractor on the stainless slide P226s works flawlessly. It's a real shame an external extractor wasn't fitted onto the X-Five lineup.

I had one. Ran like a raped ape but God that thing was heavy. Very accurate and seemed to have a smaller diameter grip than a standard 226. I put a short trigger in it and it was alot easier to shoot but it definately needs a trigger job out of the box.

DaG

The X Series guns actually are made and assembled in Germany and imported. The 226 and others are made in Exeter.

The few X-5 all arounds I have seen at local matches always seem to have intermittent extraction and light strike issues. But man.....talk about an accurate pistol.

One of our local guys(Sig sponsored)shoots the lightweight X6 in Bianchi and he says it shoots 1 1/2" at 50 yards on a bad day.

I've got an X-5 Allround I shot for a while. It is very accurate and mine has had flawless reliability. I put about 2k Winchester White Box through it with no malfunctions at all. I know that is not a high round count, but still, it has had ZERO problems.

Thanks for the replys

I still dont know what to do. I am not changing anything before nationals but after that it is up in the air.

I got a decent deal on the stainless 226 I shoot now. I could have a lot of work done to mine and still be under the cost of a all around.

I have also been eyeballing the new polymer guns like the XDM and M&P.

I got a decent deal on the stainless 226 I shoot now. I could have a lot of work done to mine and still be under the cost of a all around.

Your P226ST is a great platform. Especially if you send it off to GGI for their competition trigger package. They can shorten the reset to about a quarter of the factory length. They've also gotten really good at smoothing and lightening the DA and SA trigger pulls while maintaining primer ignition reliability.

No doubt about it, the X-Five series are rifles in pistol form when it comes to accuracy. An Allround won't magically turn Mikes into Alphas. The shooter still has to watch the sights and press the trigger correctly without disturbing the sights. For $1300, you can purchase a couple cases of ammo and take a shooting class that will probably help you more in the long run compared to just purchasing a new pistol.

Then again if you have money to burn and really want a new pistol, an Allround is a fine choice. Every Sig enthusiast should own at lease one German made Sig.

Then again if you have money to burn and really want a new pistol, an Allround is a fine choice.

Oh I wish that was the case.

The only thing I could do immediately is sell the sig and buy another pistol. If I want something like the all around I will have to save a while.

I have heard a lot of people comment that the all arounds could benefit from the Grayguns workover as well which doesnt sit well with me considering the initial cost.

The more I crunch the numbers I think I should just stick with the sig until I am ready to move into open or limited.

I will probably never figure it out <_<

The only thing I could do immediately is sell the sig and buy another pistol. If I want something like the all around I will have to save a while.

I have heard a lot of people comment that the all arounds could benefit from the Grayguns workover as well which doesnt sit well with me considering the initial cost.

I'm not a fan of selling one gun in favor of purchasing another. Especially if the one you'd be selling is reliable, which I'm assuming it is.

I got my Allround used. One of the previous owners swapped the original sear and safety lever for SRT equivalents. I'm not a fan of Sig's SRT. My point is that I can't really tell you what a stock Allround trigger pull is like. My guess is that it's probably very similar to every other DA/SA Sig fresh from the factory. A friend of mine shot a box stock P226 into IDPA Master. The idea that for a Sig to be competitive it has to Grayguns is false. I'm a big fan of GGI, but their work is not absolutely necessary. In my experience, dry fire and live fire does wonders for the trigger system. A trip to GGI can be done later on down the road when you have money available for their work.

It sounds like you and I are on the same page.

The reason I have left my Sig stock is because I have plenty of other things I can work on.

I am going to run it as is for Nationals and then make a decision at the end of the year

• 1 month later...
I've been playing around with an Allround for about two months now. When it works, it shoots like a dream. It really is a rifle in pistol form.

I've had serious extraction issues with my Allround. The internal extractor is flaky at best.

Kept reasonably clean, the external extractor on the stainless slide P226s works flawlessly. It's a real shame an external extractor wasn't fitted onto the X-Five lineup.

I have an x-5 L1 and it just isnt the extractor issue. Its the weight of the slide and spring. When using wwb I would have fte a couple times each box. I changed the recoil spring to a lower weight and that fixed the problem. It uses the same size as a 226 so I ordered a bunch of springs from midway and tested them until I got what worked and sent the others back. Its been fine since until I get to about 350 rounds without cleaning. Or you need to shoot with ammo with a higher power factor.

We have SigSauer shooting team shooting production and doing well. They are shooting X5 Allarounds. It is very nice gun for production.

To solve extraction issues you should bent extractor a little.

No doubt about it, the X-Five series are rifles in pistol form when it comes to accuracy.

Going off the previous claim of someone getting 1.5" at 50yds (which I don't believe for a number of reasons) it would make for a pretty inaccurate rifle. Heck, 1.5" at 100yds isn't very accurate for a rifle! :surprise:

Edit to add: The above was only meant to poke fun (as in :P ) at what seemed to be a silly post...nothing more, and it's not a swipe at Sig or the All Around. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

No doubt about it, the X-Five series are rifles in pistol form when it comes to accuracy.

Going off the previous claim of someone getting 1.5" at 50yds (which I don't believe for a number of reasons) it would make for a pretty inaccurate rifle. Heck, 1.5" at 100yds isn't very accurate for a rifle! :surprise:

Maybe just a figure of speech? :ph34r: Is the cold getting to you? Been cold early here too.

Stay warm.

Maybe just a figure of speech? :ph34r: Is the cold getting to you? Been cold early here too.

Stay warm.

Nah, cold hasn't gotten to me yet...a little cool here, but not bad. R,

So funny and yet predictable. Your swipes at Sig pistols are getting old. Go back to the Open Gun section of the forum. :rolleyes:

So funny and yet predictable. Your swipes at Sig pistols are getting old. Go back to the Open Gun section of the forum. :rolleyes:

First off, it wasn't a swipe at Sig, or the All Around...they're a nice gun, no question about it. If I wanted to take a swipe I'd have piled on the extraction and light strike problems that many people report with their All Arounds...didn't do that, did I? Actually, I never said a single negative thing about the gun in question and I like some Sigs just fine...wouldn't mind adding a 210 to my safe and there are a couple of others I've kept my eyes out for over the years (like a clean 220 in .38 Super). I think the 238 is cool, although I don't want one as I'm not a big .380 fan, but it's still a neat gun. Is that enough positive commentary for you to relax?

So, you can get off the "you're picking on Sig" kick because it just isn't the case. Heck, I have an M&P Pro that I like a lot and have been beat about the head and shoulders for being critical of the extraction issues many of them display...I'm about facts and reality, not brands.

All I did was point out that you made an utterly ridiculous claim. Assuming someone has a pistol that will shoot 1.5" groups at 50yds, it would still be terrible accuracy compared with an accurate rifle and at twice that distance it would still be only mediocre accuracy for a rifle.

Go back to the Open section? Unfortunately, you're not calling the shots around here, so telling me (or anybody else) what to do is a bit much. I do shoot more Open than anything else, but I spend a lot of time behind Production guns and shoot matches in all the other divisions except for L-10 and Revolver although I'm geared up for those two as well.

It's sorta funny how overly protective folks get of certain brands when they've made them part of their user name...sheesh :wacko:

I think when HuskySig made the rifle comment it was intended as a simile and not a metaphor.

Rifles can be capable to very high accuracy.

The X5 All Around on average is more accurate than most other stock pistols.

--> The X5 All Around is like a "rifle" compared to other stock pistols.