Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Fancy new Dress Watch

Inspired by Graham's thread, I'm in the market for a nice new watch.

Requirements: hands, back light, alarm, leather band.

My nice watch with those features finally bought the farm. I've had for I don't even know how many years. I found in the parking lot of an ice cream store me and Robbie were stopping into.

What about this guy, he looks pretty cool.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Case Thickness: 14 millimeters

That's 9/16" thick! Mine is 5/16" and I don't wear it very often because it's too thick and annoys me but you have to decide that. I wonder what it weighs. :surprise:

Scrap that leather band for a nice stainless one and it would be good looking watch IMO, just not something I'd like to wear.

Case Thickness: 14 millimeters

That's 9/16" thick! Mine is 5/16" and I don't wear it very often because it's too thick and annoys me but you have to decide that. I wonder what it weighs. :surprise:

Good point. I probably should hit a watch store before buying anything online. Anything that I wear I'm real picky about. (My friends would have a good laugh if they saw that!)

I've bought two Tags from http://www.worldofwatches.com/ Great prices! :cheers:

Stay Safe,

A.T.

Now those look pretty fancy. ;) Took me a minute to figure our what a "Tag" was.

Nice site - thanks.

be

Since you asked specifically for a watch with an alarm...

Under a grand, I'd look at Seiko, Citizen or Hamilton.

Over a grand, Breitling, Fortis or Tag.

Quick edit: The alarm is a bit of a trip wire for a nice watch. As they get more expensive, you typically get less stuff! If you don't need the alarm, the world is your oyster.

Edited by Seth

Citizen eco-drive.

I've got plenty o' good watches. Some with R's some with G's. The Citizen is what I wear everyday. Even on special occasions.

Mine is an aviator watch, but I believe Citizen makes good watches all around. I'm shopping them for a dive watch now . . .

J

I have to vote for a Movado. Sleek, classy but not gaudy, easy recognizable, but unlike a Rolex people won’t assume it’s fake. I polled the girls in my office and my Movado Junior Sport won out over all comers. No light or alarm though. The rest all look the same to me.

Citizen eco-drive.

I've got plenty o' good watches. Some with R's some with G's. The Citizen is what I wear everyday. Even on special occasions.

Mine is an aviator watch, but I believe Citizen makes good watches all around. I'm shopping them for a dive watch now . . .

J

Plus 1 for Citizen, be sure to check the cleaning and oiling charges on the R watches they can be surprisingly high

Edited by downlow411

What about this guy, he looks pretty cool.

Holy crap that thing is thick. If you have a Costco near you I would swing by and take a look at the watches they have. They always have an interesting cross section of watches including most of the brands mentioned here, and their prices are always great. My wife just got me a Wenger from there that is really nice. Does not fit your requirements for back light or alarm, but I like it.

Randy

Edited to add that Citizen Ecodrive is probably a great choice to fill your wants.

Edited by h2osport

I recommend the attached company and have bought several very expensive watches from them. They cover many price ranges with their watches.

www.alanfurman.com

I have and recommend a Hamilton if you want to stay in the price range of the watch you originally posted.

Shawn,

I own the James Bond Omega Seamaster Pro. Bought it brand new and its been back to Omega for 'adjustment' every 2 years. It refuses to keep accurate time. Not my favorite.

W/O an alarm but my favorite (only) watch is

Citizen Titanium.

200 meters

glows pretty good

LIGHT WEIGHT!

Now if I had wanted to spend a couple hundred more, I would have gotten a Luminox Titanium.

Key word here is TITANIUM. The darned thing weighs so little. I compare it to others and it is unbelievable how much difference there is.

Jim

I'd bet even money that if you try a Luminox you won't go with anything else. No alarm - at least not with mine - but you never wonder what time it is in any light conditions...no buttons to mess with is priceless...IMHO

Let us know what pimp time machine you choose!

In the other thread on cheap watches, the Swiss Army watches are mentioned.... Mine is one of my nicer dress up watches, a nice hefty stainless watch....I guess it's all a matter of perspective but I did not think it wa cheap ;)

I second the Citizen Ti watches, I've had one about 10 years now and it really spoiled me, I forget I'm wearing it usually whereas with a stainless Tag or the Swiss Army, I feel like I have a workout weight strapped on my wrist :). (by the way I sold the Tag it was just to clunky, and I never wore it)

I have wanted a Luminox for some time but I really haven't been wearing watches much lately so hard to justify it.

Edited by sfinney

Shawn,

I own the James Bond Omega Seamaster Pro. Bought it brand new and its been back to Omega for 'adjustment' every 2 years. It refuses to keep accurate time. Not my favorite.

I've had mine since 2001 and never had a problem with it. I've had it cleaned once since I got it.

As for places to get higher-end watches, Capetown has a pretty good reputation.

David,

I'm SURE that I have the exception, not the rule. Their customer service has actually been quite good, it only cost $250 once for 4 trips back. My sister has a Constellation that has been perfect. Mine was purchased in 11/98 (still have the card and box) and loses time like mad.

Brian,

If you're looking for something more unusual, check out http://www.timetechtalk.com/, these guys are small, niche watch guys that make truly beautiful watches. They're a lot like a gunsmith building a custom on an STI frame, in many ways.