Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Gun Would you get if $$ were no object

BigH

:mellow:

Not being a wise a$$. But if (like you) I had the CZ and/or the XD. I SERIOUSLY would take that 2-3K and buy me A PILE of ammo and the best instructor I can find. If I had to do this all over again, he!!s bells, no question. That investment will pay you back huge. And you can build on it forever. A new pistola is very cool...for a few weeks. You wont be shooting it any better than your CZ/XD, but it will be cool.

Everybody seems to be ignoring this excellent post, but it is the best advice in this thread so far.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the post about the instructor. I have taken lessons/instruction on several occasions. I have also been working with a buddy who is a very strong shooter. He is helping me overcome my issue of being right handed and left eye dominant. As for practice I am what termed a "range rat" as I am there at least 3-4 times a week practicing. (good thing I reload or I would be bankrupts)

I have an svi limited I purchased new, 40 cal, and it is an awesome gun for limited. I also recently purchased a brazos 38 sc open gun. This gun is more fun to shoot then any gun I have ever owned. I can't say enough about this gun. You mentioned sig. You should talk to Roger Sherman about sig. He is like a rocket with his sigs and does his own work on them to get them to run like glass. He lives in colorado springs.

Last night I went with my Buddy to the STI dealer and he purchased a new match master in 38 super. It is a work of art. While there I had the opportunity to sit and handle the STI Edge for a good hour. This is the exact model I am considering. (not hard chromed)

My first reaction was that the pistol feels absolutely great in my hand. A totally different feeling that the CZ or Springfield XD. It is very well balanced and points naturally. The other thing is that the clips slide in and out like butter. Very impressive overall.

My second reaction was about the polymer/plastic grip & trigger. Can someone that has the STI give me some feedback about this. I was surprised at how light the material felt. Does it hold up well?

Does anyone shoot he Wesson SS? If so I would appreciate feedback. The gun seems somewhat similar to the STI with a bit of a thinner grip and no magwell. The wesson would need immediate work to lighten the trigger and slide- but i can get this gun knew for around $1300 which is $500 less than the STI. Is comparing a Wesson to an STI ridiculous if the pistol will be used only for competition?

Thanks

Big Stick-So you are saying that you prefer shooting the race gun to the limited. Just out of curiosity what does a limited gun from SVI run?

I would go with a Brazos Custom Limited, he did a trigger job on my Para P-16 and boy is it smooth. You'll find some great deals here from fellow members. I often find myself drooling at some of the stuff that ends up here on the classifieds.

:mellow:

Not being a wise a$$. But if (like you) I had the CZ and/or the XD. I SERIOUSLY would take that 2-3K and buy me A PILE of ammo and the best instructor I can find. If I had to do this all over again, he!!s bells, no question. That investment will pay you back huge. And you can build on it forever. A new pistola is very cool...for a few weeks. You wont be shooting it any better than your CZ/XD, but it will be cool.

Everybody seems to be ignoring this excellent post, but it is the best advice in this thread so far.

I was thinking the same thing. If Manny fixed as much as he did with my shooting in two days, I wonder what I could do if I spent two weeks with him.

New guns are fun, but nearly as much fun as your fellow shooters taking notice of your new found skills :cheers:

Hands down - Brazos Custom Pro SX!

I agree with the mention of good training but the post asks "which gun would you buy". Without the instruction....with Bobs gun I would at least look good! :D

I am sold!!! I am going to run out and get the Brazos Custom Pro SX. At only $5,000 this is a bargain. Unfortunately I will need to live out of a tent and eat dog food but i guess its worth it. LOL! I am man enough to admit that my wife would skin me alive.

I love the race guns but think I will go with the edge. This way I can get the gun, 4-5 mags, and a new holster without blowing up my budget.

BigH - I have 2 STI Edge's. One has an untold number of rounds thru it, it was built when STI was still in Austin, some STI Historian will tell us how old that is, bought it last year with 4 140 mags for $1500. The newer one I bought recently had 20 rounds down range Hard Chromed Dawson Super Tuned bought it for $1650 with 4 140 mags, so they are out there. Just watch the Classifieds here and on USPSA and also Gun Broker. It is better to by one Edge than 3 guns you don't like because they are cheaper. If you buy a new one get it from Brazos or Dawson and pay for the enhancment package its worth twice the money, because it will run when you get it, the trigger will be good, not excellent I had my Smith work it over after a 1000 rounds and its awesome now cost $50.

With the money you save buying a used gun get a Dillon 650 with Case feeder and start loading.

Good Luck

Fellas, Thanks for the input. Based on the deal I can get from the local STI dealer it is a no brainer to get it from him and send it out when i have some extra money. He has some guns in stock and is willing to sell me one at a very god price. In addition, he takes very good care of his customers including primers and other goodies when in stock. I plan to get a feel for the gun and send it out to have some additional work done when I have some extra money.

The big question now is which gun and what caliber.- I will post this separately.

FYI you said you would send it out to get tuned later on. I know Dawson only works on pistols they sell. No sure about Brazos.

Franklin that is the problem with the 82. Let me know if you get the coin I will make you a deal.

O and what gun. $ = no object. Dillion Aero hands down.

Edited by barney88pdc

• 3 weeks later...

I'd get a Bedell custom either a Shorty open or a 6 inch limited. A good reloader, a super tuned mags, All Matt Burkett's video, shooting accesories, targets and a bunch of ammo.

• 3 months later...

Tanfoglio is famous for presto chango guns. You can set a Tanfo up with parts that let you use the same gun in different divisions with out much trouble.

I was talking to Henning about it the other day and between what he does to them and the factory you could set up something sweet.

I shot Cha-lee's and his pal Conrad's Tanfo Limited .40 Smith guns and they had the softest recoil impulse of any major caliber gun I ever shot. SWEET. Ask Cha-Lee and see!

The CZ design has some inherent advantages to it that are well known. None other than Col. Jeff Cooper thought it was mighty fine.