Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legality of putting a long slide on a large frame in Limited

BlueOvalBruin

I haven't gotten any updates up to this point and I don't want to pester LW about it. If I am still hot for it in the spring (after singlestack) I may pursue the matter. I want to run my 4.6 first. When it comes to my shooting the length of the barrel probably wouldn't make a difference.

Rick

Didn't NROI rule that a 10mm cannot be converted to .40? Last I heard, a Glock 20 was never chambered in .40 and therefore, wouldn't be Limited legal.....Or am I thinking IDPA? I dunno, the rules might have changed...

I'm of the logic that a bigger, heavier slide wouldn't do anything for recoil reduction. I've seen those LW 6" G20 slides and they are big. Novel ideal though.

I asked about the weight of the slides and got this back (on the thread on GlockTalk).

Weight of Slides:

All slides had just the channel liner in them, nothing else. The weight of the LWD-SLIDE20 had a lot of custom engraving ( only one I had ) but I do not think that changed anything.

Glock OEM 20 = 16.5 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20 = 16.2 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20T = 17.3 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20L = 19.7 oz.

Glock OEM 20 with OEM barrel = 21.2 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20 with LWD barrel = 20.9 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20T with LWD barrel = 22.4 oz.

LWD-SLIDE20L with LWD barrel = 25.5 oz.

All slides done with a Pelouze model SP5

per Dan from LW - LWD Armorer on GlockTalk

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=617

Didn't NROI rule that a 10mm cannot be converted to .40? Last I heard, a Glock 20 was never chambered in .40 and therefore, wouldn't be Limited legal.....Or am I thinking IDPA? I dunno, the rules might have changed...

That may be the wording in Production division...which makes re-barreling to 40 from 10mm questionable.

I'm of the logic that a bigger, heavier slide wouldn't do anything for recoil reduction. I've seen those LW 6" G20 slides and they are big. Novel ideal though.

I don't know what it is about the regular G20, but it certainly feels way softer shooting (compared to my G35, for example) with the exact same ammo. The only factors that come readily to mind to me are the wider grip (spreading out the recoil) and the heavier slide that the G20 has. ??

Interesting info. The fact the long slides are considerably heavier than stock is not a turnoff for me. Especially in 10mm on the G20, I think the slide could actually stand to be considerably heavier than stock to damp recoil impulse and lessen gun battering. Actually a G20 with 6" barrel and correspondingly long slide would be a very interesting gun, I think, whereas the standard G20 doesn't do a whole lot for me.

... a G20 with 6" barrel and correspondingly long slide would be a very interesting gun, I think, whereas the standard G20 doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I tell ya, I think it may be the best thing going.

It (standard G20) is a less than 28oz gun, that probably shoots as soft as a full dust cover S_I (weird, huh?). And, it truly runs like a Glock. Even with 40S&W feed to it.

The down side is the size of the grip. It can make reaching the trigger, and/or one handed shooting, a challenge.

I wonder if the SF frame keeps the soft shooting benefits, yet allows for an easier trigger reach...

Now, add in the long slides/barrels and we get the sight radius that everybody loves and some improved ballistics (along with load choices).

Honestly I didn't really find that great a difference in trigger reach between the SF and standard frame. If a person happened to have hands of a very particular size it might make a difference, but apparently my hands are not that size. But a 6" G20 with a grip reduction....NOW you're talkin'.

I wonder if the SF frame keeps the soft shooting benefits, yet allows for an easier trigger reach...

Now, add in the long slides/barrels and we get the sight radius that everybody loves and some improved ballistics (along with load choices).

I don't have a 21 handy to compare it to, but the 21SF certainly feels like less of a brute than I remember my 21 feeling.....

I have got huge mitts, but very short fingers --- Carol's 11 inches shorter than I am, and our finger length is virtually identical....

The Bar-Sto 6" 21 upper shot really soft and accurate --- that feel might drive some people (Hi Vlad!) crazy. There was simply no snap, but then it also seemed like you could feel and see the slide cycling....

Over on GlockTalk, in the "10 ring" forum, there is a thread on the LW long slides for the G20. JR from LW speaks like they might have (or be close) to the 500 unit requirement. I was attempting to play match maker between him and USPSA, but tired of it.

I read through the post on GlockTalk and you're right, it sure doesn't seem like he has much interest in dealing with USPSA.

I'm interested in this setup mostly for the larger grip. If Glock follows their past roll outs (RTF2) and introduces the 4th gen 17's and 22's first, would I be able to add a standard G24 slide to one of those and be legal in Limited?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I spoke with JR from Lonewolf about the legality of the 6” G20L slide with .40S&W barrel and he said he had spoken with the people at USPSA and they said it’s legal for Limited and Limited 10, but not production (not a surprise of course). He said he didn’t have to send in any paperwork. No word yet from USPSA.

Well, it’s official. If there was any question before there isn’t one now. Lone Wolf has submitted all the necessary paperwork to make the G20T, G20L, G21T, and G21L legal for use in Limited and Limited 10 divisions and the NROI has approved it.

Now how do we get IDPA to approve the G21T slide for CDP?