Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP I AM 40 AND I AM IPOD STUPID

OK. my computer crapped out so i dumped everything on to a removable hard drive and noW i can get my f------- Itunes to work on my new computer. I am trying to move the music off of the removable drive and into my new computers itunes library. in the process i now have 4 copies of each song in my new itunes and none will play unless i have the removable drive plugged in.

1, How do i get rid of the dupes without going line by line and delating them

2, how do i get my old library on to my new computer.

HELp sos sos sos........i AM ABOUT TO THROW MY NEW LAPTOP OVERBOARD

Edited by GIO

OK. my computer crapped out so i dumped everything on to a removable hard drive and noW i can get my f------- Itunes to work on my new computer. I am trying to move the music off of the removable drive and into my new computers itunes library. in the process i now have 4 copies of each song in my new itunes and none will play unless i have the removable drive plugged in.

1, How do i get rid of the dupes without going line by line and delating them

2, how do i get my old library on to my new computer.

HELp sos sos sos........i AM ABOUT TO THROW MY NEW LAPTOP OVERBOARD

Don't throw it overboard. If the removable hard drive is not corrupted, it should be able to dump back into your new computer. Is your iTunes current? Up to date, that is. Sometimes trying to dump libraries from older computers into newer ones gives a software compatibility problem. Do you have an iPod that has the tunes on them? Sometimes that is the easiest way to establish the new iTunes as being yours on this computer with this computer enabled. Do you have more than 5 computers enabled? Is yours an Apple or Windows? If you have the software for your laptop, I would format it, reload the original software, update it, then bring in the library.

Sometimes it can be tedious and you may have manually remove the dupes (use the built in iTunes program show duplicates. Sometimes Apple will help-I find email or chat faster than a call. Even the best case you are looking at some hours, don't want to lie to you. But if the drives are legit and they play when the removable disc is attached, it should eventually do what you want. Sometimes it's just better to sleep on it and try again. I hope this helps. I used sometimes a lot because without being there-it's hard to know.

post-11136-1249259457_thumb.jpg

The newest version of iTunes (8.2.1.6) includes a "Show Duplicates" command that will allow you to sort out your dupes; it also includes a "Backup" routine under the View menu. I've used both of these recently when I (1) replaced my laptop and then (2) Crushed my old iPod in my car door.

iTunes works pretty well, sometimes I just have to go slow with it and read the directions. (I don't like reading directions. You should have seen me the first time I owned a 1911.)

Thanks guys. I walked away from it tonight. My wife started giving me the back seat driver routine "Have you tried this or that) AHHHHHHH. It was going to get ugly so I went into Zen mode and I will live to fight another day.

Thanks again!

The newest version of iTunes (8.2.1.6) includes a "Show Duplicates" command ...

I didn't know about this and just tried it. It's idea of duplicates is any track with the same filename. So if you have the 24 Chopin preludes out there and the songname is "prelude", they're all duplicates.

Edited by wgnoyes