Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader getting ready

Z32MadMan

I'm new to reloading and I'm looking to buy my first reloading press in December-ish. I'm sick of not having a reliable source of ammo so I figure now is the time to get into reloading. I'm pretty set on buying one of BE's 550B kits. I'm pretty excited for that, but I won't have money for several more months. So I thought I would start buying supplies now, so I don't have to worry about not having primers ect when I get my press. Is there a reliable place to backorder primers? What do you think the best route would be for me to have primers in the next 3 months?

Also can I get some confirmation on supplies to buy? I'm going to be shooting black moly bullets (not decided yet on 125gr, 130gr, or 147gr for my Sig P226), so would Solo 1000 be a good poweder for running moly bullets for 9mm minor?

I was thinking about putting in orders for

-3000-3500 9mm moly bullets (anyone have a preference between Black Bullets International and Precision Bullets? the first seems to be a bit cheaper)

-4lbs of Solo 1000

-5000 small non-magnum pistol primers (And from what I can tell CCI, Federal, and Wolf are all good choices?)

I would really appreciate any comments or advice!

Thanks

I'm new to reloading and I'm looking to buy my first reloading press in December-ish. I'm sick of not having a reliable source of ammo so I figure now is the time to get into reloading. I'm pretty set on buying one of BE's 550B kits. I'm pretty excited for that, but I won't have money for several more months. So I thought I would start buying supplies now, so I don't have to worry about not having primers ect when I get my press. Is there a reliable place to backorder primers? What do you think the best route would be for me to have primers in the next 3 months?

Also can I get some confirmation on supplies to buy? I'm going to be shooting black moly bullets (not decided yet on 125gr, 130gr, or 147gr for my Sig P226), so would Solo 1000 be a good poweder for running moly bullets for 9mm minor?

I was thinking about putting in orders for

-3000-3500 9mm moly bullets (anyone have a preference between Black Bullets International and Precision Bullets? the first seems to be a bit cheaper)

-4lbs of Solo 1000

-5000 small non-magnum pistol primers (And from what I can tell CCI, Federal, and Wolf are all good choices?)

I would really appreciate any comments or advice!

Thanks

I can't help with the black bullets, don't know anything about them. Or with the Solo powder. But whatever powder you decide on, buy more than 4lbs. You'll pay the same Hazmat fee for 4lbs as you will for 48lbs, so buying more is more cost effective. I'd start with at least 8 - 12lbs (if you are certain this is the powder you want to use and won't be changing).

All the primers you mentioned are good primers, any will do, whatever is available. Don't forget about Winchester primers too, nothing wrong with them if they are available either. The powder manufactuer generally has load data for all of the powder they make, but if you can't find exactly what you are looking for, I'm positive there are some forum members who can help. Look in the General Reloading & Load Data tab under the Handgun & Technical Forums. Plenty of info there. Try this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89264

I have used 147 precision behind solo 1000. I am currently using Bear Creek and Titegroup.

147 Precision

3.2 Solo 1000

WSP

1.14 OAL

avg around 870fps from 5" STI

Your results may vary

There is a lot of load info in the forums. Do a search.

Butch