Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last shot fired

boz1911

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and thoughts. My extended family here never ceases to amaze, and in this case, warm me.

=============================================

With four sizable Hell-bent boys and no girls in our family, life has always been……interesting. God had damn well better have a gentle reward waiting for Moms with four difficult sons and no daughters.

For reasons I’ll never fully understand and don’t question my oldest brother and I (the youngest) were always the closest. His passing hurts even more because, of all my many relatives, I always liked him the best. We shared many of the same interests and pastimes, and had many shared experiences borne of living in far away places at the same time. He was my very good friend. I will miss our exchanges.

My father died when I was still young, and being 11 years older Bodie was more of a Dad to me through my life than anyone. That’s not what I wanted and I bucked him on it most of the time, but it didn’t stop him from trying.

Our birthdays are July 21 and July 22 so we usually celebrate together every year. Last weekend his wife and their neighbors threw him a birthday party and were generous enough to include me. My name was on the banner right alongside his. Even our Mom who just turned 80 and is very frail, was able to attend, and he told me how happy that made him. It was a fine and special occasion.

I sat off to one side as he opened his presents and enjoyed seeing how much his friends genuinely cared for him. I watched their faces as he opened each gift and made a fuss over it, and could see how pleased they were to have returned to him some of the fun he had given them over time. They couldn’t have concealed their love for him if they tried, and they didn’t try.

I took a pass on attending his ‘viewing’ as I choose to retain the memories of that party as our last moments together. Why spoil a good thing, right?

He was discovered on a job site where he was working Saturday, sitting in a corner where he apparently went to rest. He just sat down for a break and didn’t get back up. He had a cheerful, mischievous, yet physically-defective heart, and I guess it finally gave up and took a nap.

Peace to you, my brother.