Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Instruction

38stupid

• 2 months later...

If I am not mistaken, John Woolley does a clinic at Rochester Brooks. He teaches Move, Mount, Shoot, and will be able to provide you with a system that will serve you well for the rest of your shooting life. Highly recommended. Great coach. Great guy.

Phone: 904-631-1365

Email: JohnWoolley@bellsouth.net

Good shooting to you-

Christian Parker

http://www.claysportsonline.com

If I am not mistaken, John Woolley does a clinic at Rochester Brooks. He teaches Move, Mount, Shoot, and will be able to provide you with a system that will serve you well for the rest of your shooting life. Highly recommended. Great coach. Great guy.

Phone: 904-631-1365

Email: JohnWoolley@bellsouth.net

Good shooting to you-

Christian Parker

http://www.claysportsonline.com

John's new home base is Yulee, FL at a brand new sporting clays range he build. It is all very nice and I would recommend it.

While he does still travel and hold clinics, if you take your wife to Florida to do the tourist stuff while you shoot, everyone is happy. Amelia Island Plantation is less than 15 minutes away which should please any non shooting spouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Keith Lupton teaches out of Mid-Hudson Sporting Clays in New Paltz, NY. I'm not sure how close that is to you but I went to him for fittings and a lesson and I live in the Milwaukee area.... he's worth it.

• 3 months later...

Is it sporting Clays or clay targets in general. What is your current skill level? If a beginner, local instruction can be good to get you the bare basics before going to one of the much more expensive instructors.

I was very impressed with Wendell Cherry's style of instruction. I don't know if he gets to your area but I would search his web site for class schedules.

I took two classes, two hours each. One class I burned 325 rounds the other 350.

He don't waste your time. He would have me shoot the presentation 5 or 6 times, offer an idea for adjustment and shoot another 5-6 to judge my change.

Never pushy or arrogant. Uses the Move, Mount and Shoot dtyle too.

Good Luck

Is it sporting Clays or clay targets in general. What is your current skill level? If a beginner, local instruction can be good to get you the bare basics before going to one of the much more expensive instructors.

I have shot a lot trap in the past along with some skeet. A few years ago I started shooting some sporting clays (Rochester Brooks by the way) and was in lower 40's to mid 40's on occasion - depending on which coarse I shot. I just purchased a Browning 625 Sporting Clays model and it fits me VERY nicely. I tried one out before I purchased it and I only missed a couple of birds in trap and skeet. I tried some (5) stand and did fine.

I just want someone who is an good instructor to make sure that I am on the right track and can provide some insight into the game of sporting clays.

38stupid

One thing that has lcaused the huge prgress and growth of sporting clays is certified instructors. Other shooting sports could learn a lot from that. I would very much recommend that you go to a certified instructor. A guy at your local range may be able to help you but you would not let the lawn mower repair guy tune up your truck.

I have a different viewpoint. I suggest you find a group of "better" clays shooters in your area and begin shooting with them regularly. Watch how they set up, how they "read" a station, and how they approach the target presentation. If you shoot with accomplished clays shooters regularly, you will be amazed at how a "D" class Clays shooter can get into "B" or "A" class. To get into "AA" or "Master", takes a lot of time, shells, and extraordinary hand-eye coordination.

My 2 cents. That is how I went from D to A Class in Sporting Clays. I do not have the time, shells, or extraordinary hand-eye coordination to get much higher right now!

One on one training with a qualified coach is always a top choice. However, there are a number of excellent DVD's on the market from outstanding coaches. Sunrise Productions has an "eye cam" that gives you a view of what the shooter actually sees as he looks at the target. Link to Sunrise Productions. You might take a look at the DVD's as a way to improve or at least see the different teaching styles of coaches. The best part of a DVD is that you can watch it over and over. The DVD's can often be found used on the web at discount prices.

Phil G

• 2 months later...

Check out Bob Mastroianni in MA. He runs Break Point Management Shooting School. Long time friend, EXCELLENT coach. Really has a great teaching style that will have you crushing targets in no time. I've had lessons w/ several big name instr/shooters and Bob is the best. Good luck-

The best shotgun instructor I ever encountered is Steve Middleditch. And when we were training for years for the Sportsman's Team Challenge, we had the good furtune to train with some of the world's best shots. I think he lives somewhere in Florida.

be