Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange adventures in reloading

Carlos

9mm cases made from .223? Overloading to failure? Tig welding chambers? Egads! what has the reloading thread come to? Just to add to the madness, I wanted to see if I could reload some Russian Wolf brand .45 lacquered steel cases. I got the idea from an old reloading manual that advocated relading US made steel cases in .45 ACP and .38 Special.  Apparently, we resorted to steel cases during WWII because brass was in short supply.  In short - the author had zero problems reloading these apparently mild steel cases numerous times.

Since the Wolf cases are boxer primed in .45, I gave it a try. Just to be cautious, I lubed them using Hornady One shot over the lacquer (did not tumble these) and ran through a Lee "U" die - went through like butter! So far so good. Next, I expected a primer crimp or tight pcket like S&B cases - no such problem; they prime just fine.  Crimp? Easy as pie. This steel must be VERY mild - though I imagine its still stronger than brass.  Will try them out this weekend; I don't plan to shoot these regularly, but its good to know they appear to work in a pinch. Will let you know.

Perhaps Clark could determine the failure point of steel cases next? (keep up the good work Clark!).

A freind of mine used to run an RDP press before he switched to Dillon 1050's.  He had a Blazer slip through the sorting and cleaning, and before he knew it, reloaded it.  The decapping pin punched a hole through the primer pocket, and seated a standard large pistol primer.

We never fired it.  He kept it on his bench as a reminder to be careful.

• 21 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...