Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the deal with the 45ACP 2011's?

J-Hon

Heard it alluded to once upon a time that the 45's weren't as easy to get up and running as the other calibers. Don't know how much stake I put into that, but I've heard it more than once.

What's the deal now-a-day's with them? I don't seem to see as many around, and haven't heard many opinions lately. Are these any harder to make run than other caliber choices? Just get a good 'smith, tuned mags, and rock on like the others?

Have a potential trade offer for one, but am somewhat hesitant. Don't really need another "project", if you get my drift. Certainly appreciate any insight those of you who deal more heavily in the 2011 circles could give.

.40 has taken over simply because the .45 just does'nt carry enough rounds

to compete, that's all.

Open class is dominated by 9mm 38super 2011's and Limted is pretty much all .40(makes PF

and holds 21-22 rounds.

On the contrary, .45 2011 guns run just fine, if you use good mag components and springs. There is no reason to stay away from them, unless you need the capacity for shooting Limited or Open. Then go with .40 and 9/38 respectively.

2011s in .45 can be made to work just fine, but the mags are a pain compared to the other choices.

They aren't going to be truly competitive in Limited because of mag capacity. Pretty much everybody has 20-22 round .40 mags so you're frequently going to need an extra reload per stage and while the very best can manage an extra reload without losing much, if any time, that doesn't hold true for Joe Average and it's one more opportunity for a mistake with a blown reload.

In Open they're not competitive because of both magazine capacity (bigger issue here as there are lots of 28-31rd big sticks out there) and the fact that they can't work the comp even remotely as well as a Super/SC/9Major can. R,

Understand completely about the competitive factor. Should have clarified, as I know why I don't *see* them as much in various games (or here, for that matter). It would only make sense, as like you guys were saying, they just aren't competitive in most divisions due to capacity handicaps.

I was inquiring more to their technical merit, specifically hearing about the magazine thing being a "problem". Perhaps I didn't word my original inquiry as well as I should have. Bart, when you say that they are a "pain", are you referring to availability type woes, or "quality" (for lack of a better term)? Are the factory mags any better/worse than .40/9mm/etc versions? I see that Grams makes kits for them, would one just need to pay the typical $100 or so to get good mags and all is ok, or is there more to the story?

I built one when they first came out as STI, no problems what so ever with the pistol.

Did have some problems with the early mags, feed lips were not correct.

Easy fix and they ran fine after that.

At this time I am shooting a Para 45acp hi-cap and with Dawson Precision mag extentions and factory springs and followers I'm getting 18 rounds of 45acp in my mags and they are easily reloadable. I start stages with 18+1 rounds of 45acp,the gun has been very reliable,I have not had a feeding problem yet.

After getting my .40 Edge years ago I realized that a .45 ACP Eagle was very close to the "ultimate" 1911 .45 auto for me. I wasn't interested in it for competition, just shooting so all the things said above didn't matter for me. After having mine I have considered it for Lim 10 just for something different.

I got a brand new one from a STI dealer and shoot it frequently. In fact, I just scored on some more mags (3 x 140's, 1 SV and 2 STI's for a $100) and since I had range master duty at the local range yesterday I took the "new" mags out to give them a try. My standard load of a 200 gr. LSWC (made by me) with 4.5 grs of WST ran fine. The only problems I have ever had with that gun has beeen related to bad ammo.

Neal in AZ

• 4 weeks later...

In Open they're not competitive because of both magazine capacity (bigger issue here as there are lots of 28-31rd big sticks out there) and the fact that they can't work the comp even remotely as well as a Super/SC/9Major can. R,

I have the opportunity of buying an open STI in 45 auto. I already have an open gun in 38 super which is my usual racing gun but I though about buying the 45 as just a fun gun and maybe compete with it at the local club level also just for fun, but I was curious as to your comment on the 45 not working the compensator as well. Does this mean that it's going to feel just like a regular 45? Like I said, I have come to terms with the capacity issue and I don't mind that but I don't want to buy a $2000 open gun and have it feel just like a $500 5" 45 auto.

I have a STI 4.15 Tactical in 45acp that's an "in the shop" weapon. I shot it L10 in a match to shake it down - ran fine. I have confidence in it as a defensive weapon and it holds enough rounds for when the zombies attack to get me to my long gun.

~Mitch

They aren't going to be truly competitive in Limited because of mag capacity. Pretty much everybody has 20-22 round .40 mags so you're frequently going to need an extra reload per stage and while the very best can manage an extra reload without losing much, if any time, that doesn't hold true for Joe Average and it's one more opportunity for a mistake with a blown reload.

It's unlikely to be an EXTRA reload, so much as a reload in a less advantageous time/place. I think I've shot one stage in the last twelve months that was more than 32 rounds. I've been shooting my L10 gun in Limited for about a year, so 18+1 is hardly going to be a handicap, and more like a bottomless mag! A couple of local shooters were quite competitive shooting Caspian .40s that were only 17+1, IIRC.

I built a 45 off of my old original TRI frame and a scrap GI 1911 slide that I had lying around. I picked up 3 140-mm mags.

That is the softest-shooting 45 that I've ever shot, even with full-power ammo such as Hydra-Shok.

My only complaint is that standard 45 ACP will not load in the magazines. It has to be considerably shorter. The only factory ammo that I can load in the mags is Hydra-Shok or similar hollow point ammo.