Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setup for a Glock 35 for 3-gun?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I am looking for some info on setting up a Glock 35 for 3-gun. I am looking for magwell suggestions, guide rods, mag releases and whatever else you feel is needed. I have the Glock, DOH holster, great sights and Arredondo base pads. I appreciate any info/comments even if they have commedy relief in them :cheers: Thanks,Eric

Mine is stock except for sights. I am going away from the doh, gonna Comptac. I run the 15 rd mags, no mag ext. If I need more capacity I go to my STI. +++ n the grip tape.

Got tired of the CZ??

Mike

Mike: I sold the CZ and I am Glocking it for a while :cheers: I still have a couple of STI's I built plus that 6" topend setup that I need to fit to a frame. I just figured I'd stay with the Glocks this year between shooting production G17 the G35. So far Dawson heavy Ice magwell, grip tape and full length guide rod(which full length guide rod?). I have a couple of old Glock mags with the Arredondo +5, they hold 22 reloadable rounds. I am not sure about the aftermarket mag releases since they will eject the mags for me on table starts :surprise: Thanks, Eric

I have my 35 setup very similar to my Production 34. I added the Seattle Slug Plug and run some Arredondo +5 extensions to the 35. the Seattle Slug really helps balance the 35 when shooting major PF ammo. I do not care for magwells as I've shot production long enough that my reloads are flawless. My 34 is stippled and so is my 35. Both guns run the same adjustable sights with Dawson FO up front. Glock extended mag release and non extended slide stop. I run an overtravel screw in the trigger housing to control overtravel and use the Lone Wolf 3.5# connector. And then do a full polish on the trigger components. I run the 13# ISMI spring on an ISMI guiderod in the 34 and a 15# ISMI in the 35. Other two springs are factory. Both guns run KKM barrels.

But I tend to use the 34 in 3 gun more than the 35. I use the Arredondo +5 pads on my 9mm mags and get 23 round cpapcity. I use the 34 in all matches with no power factor.

I used to use my STI for 3 gun but quit fighting the urge and realized I shoot the Glock sooo much better that I just started shooting the plastic.

Get the Glock factory extended mag release-works great and gun is up just enough on table starts. No problems with mags dropping. Try a plastic plug instead of a magwell-more streamlined setup.

In my experience, if you don't have a mag well (or a clip-on flashlight, for that matter) lifting the gun off the surface on which it's laid, the factory extended mag catch will indeed cause the mag to drop on a table start. I've seen that happen with a shooter as skilled as Dave Sevigny at the 2002 Factory Gun Nationals.

If you're going to run the extended button, you also want a mag funnel, IMO, or it's going to get you into trouble. Either both or neither.

The ONLY time I have ever had any trouble with the extended mag release on table starts is when the leaf spring that works the mag release had worn out and developed a crack. (rare...took years of heavy use)

I don't use a mag well. Extended mag release is the Glock part.

Oh...and, I do NOT tweak the mag spring.

If I ever experience issues with the mag release during table starts, I know to check and replace my mag release spring. I would suspect that anybody that runs a tweaked mag spring might see issues with table starts that aren't there with the stock part.

G35 for 3-Gun is easy. Magwell is personal preference. All the other doo-hicky's are personal preference.

Frankly, replace the sights with some good adjustables, get a trigger job on it and call it done. If you really want a magwell, I'm pretty well in love with the JP that's on my carry/night stand G22. For competition, going with the Seattle Slug and probably CGR's brass magwell would do the trick too.

Rich

Get the Glock factory extended mag release-works great and gun is up just enough on table starts. No problems with mags dropping. Try a plastic plug instead of a magwell-more streamlined setup.

In my experience, if you don't have a mag well (or a clip-on flashlight, for that matter) lifting the gun off the surface on which it's laid, the factory extended mag catch will indeed cause the mag to drop on a table start. I've seen that happen with a shooter as skilled as Dave Sevigny at the 2002 Factory Gun Nationals.

If you're going to run the extended button, you also want a mag funnel, IMO, or it's going to get you into trouble. Either both or neither.

The ONLY time I have ever had any trouble with the extended mag release on table starts is when the leaf spring that works the mag release had worn out and developed a crack. (rare...took years of heavy use)

I don't use a mag well. Extended mag release is the Glock part.

Oh...and, I do NOT tweak the mag spring.

If I ever experience issues with the mag release during table starts, I know to check and replace my mag release spring. I would suspect that anybody that runs a tweaked mag spring might see issues with table starts that aren't there with the stock part.

Duane,

this almost seems like deja vu (but the last time we were talking extended slide releases and you turned out to be right), but I'm with Flex on this one. One G-34 with the extended release since 2000, the other since 2006 --- I've yet to drop a mag after a table start....

Hello: So it looks like I just need to get a 15lb recoil spring(I use a 13lb ISMI now), ISMI guide rod and a brass Seattle slug. I have a bunch of Arredondo base pads and 20 or so high cap mags. I also shoot Production with a Glock 17 for now :roflol: so the no magwell makes sense. Keep all the great info coming. Thanks, Eric

Well, I'm always open to learning. And I do run a tweaked mag spring. Apparently "tweaked mag spring plus extended button" is a bad combo but "non-tweaked mag spring plus extended button" is copacetic. See, I just learned something today. :)

If you have a g35 you should already have the factory extended mag release. I used to replace all my mag release springs with .047 piano wire but I had a few involuntary mag changes especially with 9mm major so I returned to factory .050

I used to replace all my mag release springs with .047 piano wire

Why, just out of curiosity? Easier compression of the button? I've found I can accomplish the same thing just by pulling the stock spring out of the gun, bending it slightly, then reinserting it.

Duane: The smaller diameter wire would make the mag release easier to press. You are correct on bending the original wire to do the same thing. I have had 2 table starts where I released the factory extended mag release where I had bent the wire to make it lighter :surprise: I now use a stock straight wire. Thanks, Eric