Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 115 gr. RN

Baer45

Just got a bunch of Berrys 115's too cheap and have never really tried to load plated bullets. I'll be shooting it in a a Baer or Wilson with 5 inch barrel (1911) and all I care about is the best accuracy I can find. Have a bunch of powders, just don't know where to start...

I usually run my OAL out as far as I can and keep crimp light as possible....anyone that can point me in the right direction to save hours running to the ransom and crono would be much appreciated....I did a search but could not come up with anything with plated Berrys 115s...

Thanks guys...

IME, not the greatest for accuracy but for plinking its more than adequate (tried all sorts of powder TG, clays, 231, etc, etc).

if you want accuracy, jacketed or the lead/moly coated stuff works pretty good

Thanks, I kind of figured that from what I have read over recent years...still, I like to get them as accurate as possible..I've got some 231 to use up unless someone comes up with a better idea...

I would load them out to at least 1.120 OAL. Make sure that when you crimp ( or just remove the belling from the powder die ;) ) Just do it enough that the round will chamber freely and case gauge. You dont want to crimp too much with these bullets. I would start at 4.2gr of W231 and work up there. If you can get a 2-3in group off the bench at 25yds with this combo you will be doing great.

If you have a cluster of multiple rounds together and a few flyers all over the place, it is either you.... :roflol: or it is the bullets (goofy ones). Remember, with bullets....you get what you pay for, so dont obsess over it too much....

Good luck!

DougC

Thanks, I kind of figured that from what I have read over recent years...still, I like to get them as accurate as possible..I've got some 231 to use up unless someone comes up with a better idea...

I tried some of the 115 flat points in an NRA Action event last weekend. My AP is a 2011 frame and has a Nowlin .38 Super barrel.... it will normally shoot around an inch and a half at 50 yards so long as I do my bit. The Berry's are able to stay inside the 4" X ring at 50 yards... so accuracy was OK... but not up there with Hornady HAP's or Sierra 115 JHP's.

I used 5.2 grains of 231, loaded to 1.210" OAL. The chronograph recorded 1090fps for the load.

I shot some 115 Berrys over 6.6 of Powwer Pistol yesterday witout the benefit of Crono..pretty accurate but I am going to back in down to 6.4 and see how that will do. Have PP in powder dispenser so I want to use it up before changing...anyone tried it with 115 plated? Shooting in a 5" Wilson or Baer barrel...

Different brands do different things but in general, plated bullets respond poorly to fast powders/high temperatures. Better with medium/slow powders.

So you might want to stay away from Clays, N310 & so on. Might want to try out WSF or N330 powders - my best results plated. I only shoot jacketed now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up some magazines to read last night and each oe of them had articles where the author used TG with Berry 115's...I'll give that a try for fun...The Power Pistol seems to be acceptable though for now..

• 2 months later...

I just worked up a load for my M&P 9pro using berrys 115 plated bullets. I used 4.5gr. 231 at around 1.130 OAL. I used wolf small pistol primers. They chronoed around 129.8 avg power factor. I live in colorado. It was around 40 degrees and low humidity. Around 9000 feet. I had a good crimp on it with the dillon accu-crimp. I am purchasing a lee factory crimp die to use for future loadings.

Randy

I just worked up a load for my M&P 9pro using berrys 115 plated bullets. I used 4.5gr. 231 at around 1.130 OAL. I used wolf small pistol primers. They chronoed around 129.8 avg power factor. I live in colorado. It was around 40 degrees and low humidity. Around 9000 feet. I had a good crimp on it with the dillon accu-crimp. I am purchasing a lee factory crimp die to use for future loadings.

Randy

Out of curiosity what velocity did you get when you ran itover the Crono? I have a new FCD you can have cheap if you want it. I found that it does not do to well on progressive and just use my Case Pro...

@ Baer45... take a handful of those Berry 115's and take your calipers to them. My experience with the 147 grainers from Berry's is that the actual diameter of them can vary plus or minus 1 or 2 thousandths just by measuring 5 or so bullets.