Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Industrial Accidents

3GunF1Guy

Well since your all shooters, I'll tell you what happened. Then you can either feel sorry for me or call me a dumb @$$.

On tuesday I was working on a paper punch binding machine at work and trying to fix it and got 3 finger tips on the right hand and 2 on the left, cut off. and yes one of them was the trigger finger. it might be a while before i can get out and shot again. after the plastic surgon got done he said most of the feeling in the finger tips might be lost. i cant put any pressure on the tips for about 6 weeks. after that we will see how much feeling will be left in the finger pads.

who knows i might shoot better if i can't feel the trigger. :unsure:

One of the good thing about this is that I was getting a little burned out on shooting and after a 16 week I might be ready to hit it again.

typing this took about 15 min because i can only use my thumb or ring finger on the left hand.

I have a good friend that lost the tip of his trigger finger (right where the nail begins to grow) in a similar accident at work.

He had to adjust his grip a bit but he was shooting again about 8 weeks after his accident.

I am sorry to hear about your accident and I wish you a speedy recovery! :cheers:

I don't know you, but when I read your post it made me squirm in my seat, THAT"S GOTTA STING A BIT!! I hope that you recover and that you are able to enjoy all of the things that you did before it happened. God Bless

P.S. Would it be in bad taste to ask if you have any primers that you won't be needing. Just kiddin' Get well.

Edited by danscrapbags

Hopefully you will recover and rejoin us. Best sent your way.

On a sidenote. perhaps we all should take a moment and reflect on some of the jobs we do, both paid and unpaid and think just a bit about how close any one of us comes on too regular a basis to the same sort of thing! Have a friend that automated his 1050, used a light fence to activate it, this being before the days of the kiss feeder, he had to manually set each head on the case. had fingers in press, slipped, broke the light beam and drove a 9mm through his finger tip. He did recover and return, but I cite this as a reminder to always look where you put your fingers and if it is a movable object that could remove them or any other body part, think about blocking and safeties and proper tag-out lock-out.

It is far to easy to get complacent. I personally do not want to read about anyone else having to get finger tips repaired or any other body part when it could be prevented.

I apologize for the hijacking, but this is too close to home. I had an employee put his fingers where he shouldn't. Machine won, fingers lost. He was experienced, maybe 10 years on the job.

Please all of you fingers come in sets of 10 (in most cases) they cannot be purchased at the corner store, there are no finger replacement centers.

OK, Rant off, but Damn, I really feel for you and I hope you return 100% and that if at least one person reads this and has a 'whew' moment and changes their procedures...

Jim

I don't know you, but when I read your post it made me squirm in my seat, THAT"S GOTTA STING A BIT!! I hope that you recover and that you are able to enjoy all of the things that you did before it happened. God Bless

P.S. Would it be in bad taste to ask if you have any primers that you won't be needing. Just kiddin' Get well.

it made me squerm in my seat also :)

Thanks for the words of healing. I just want everyone out there to be careful. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Get well soon. If you ever feel self-conscious about your fingers you can move to Gillette, seems to the fashion out on the drilling rigs to be missing a couple.

My dad was telling a story about one of the accidents he witnessed at GM. There was a hole in a metal cover over a conveyor, so one of the shop guys sticks his finger in the hole and gets it lopped off. Next day the foreman, safety guy, and brass were standing around the hole trying to figure out what went wrong, foreman says, "he just stuck his finger in here" and demonstrates by sticking his finger in the hole, at which point it was lopped off. Two fingers in two days.

Wow, I hopr you heal up! Sounds like you got everything kinda put back together? My father in law lost his index and middle fingers at the first knuckle to a table saw, not good!

Seems like Utah guys and fingers are not doing well this year, right Kurtz?

Aaron

What no bloody pictures?

If you have some I can use them for lock out/tag out safety training at work.

Sorry to hear about your injury, losing body parts Sucks!! half a thumb and pointer for me.

Your in for some funny questions from kids, their so curious about stuff like that

Damn dude that just sucks.

It sounds like a mistake that you can heal from.

I am still cussing myself for the ONE TIME I failed to wear eye protection while reloading

and had a nearly full primer tube explode (non Dillion press).

I still see things in my eye that ain't actually in front of me!

You will remember the words "lock out, tag out" from here on.

Heal well and come back better.

Patrick

Man o man, I know exactly how you feel :(

I did a similar thing with a wood tool about 6 months ago.

My prayers go out to you hoping you get as lucky with healing as I did :)

Holee crap, that's a damn' serious accident! :surprise: Just do what the doctor sez to heal up right and fast, and we'll see you shooting again in time. Meanwhile, good thoughts headed your way.

I've had so many near-misses it makes MY stomach squirm, too, knowing I was "that close" to danger.

"..."he just stuck his finger in here" and demonstrates by sticking his finger in the hole, at which point it was lopped off. Two fingers in two days."
WTF were they thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!