Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex 617 hammer

hearthco

Thanks Guys,

And thanks for your input Mike! The AH article was a mixed blessing. Anyone who has gone to the SHOT Show knows fully operational firearms are not allowed on the show floor, so the author took some creative license when he wrote the article. And it is very true that the hammer will ALLOW the pulls to be reduced, but the installation in and of itself will not guarantee the same degree of pull reduction as Mr. Hearth has on his 617.

I am still experimenting with ammo types, and I do believe that some brands of ammo may be easier to ignite than CCI. This means that the gun could be run at a lighter pull weight. Keeping my fingers crossed anyways...

Mr Hearth???????

I have found at least two ammo brands that ignite easier than CCI's. One being Federal's Auto Match and the other escapes me at the moment.

You're right on the Federal Auto match. Winchester Super X (I think that's what its called) also ignites pretty good.

I have found at least two ammo brands that ignite easier than CCI's. One being Federal's Auto Match and the other escapes me at the moment.

You're right on the Federal Auto match. Winchester Super X (I think that's what its called) also ignites pretty good.

Federal's Auto Match is also very clean. I used to shoot the crap out of it when I could find it.

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old thread but did any of you guys have problems with the 617 and lead bullets? Mine leaded up terribly after about 200 rounds. Admittedly they were Remington Thunderbolts and I'm going away from them.

25 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

I know this is an old thread but did any of you guys have problems with the 617 and lead bullets? Mine leaded up terribly after about 200 rounds. Admittedly they were Remington Thunderbolts and I'm going away from them.

22 is generally pretty dirty by nature, Where are you seeing the leading though? Inside the barrel or at the forcing cone? 

Getting away from Remington .22 is always a good idea. The forcing cone on that gun may need to be recut as well. Clean it good and shoot different ammo (CCI or Federal) and you will find out. All the .22 I've shot is dirty regardless of brand.

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

22 is generally pretty dirty by nature, Where are you seeing the leading though? Inside the barrel or at the forcing cone? 

At the forcing cone. A .22 boresnake wouldn't go through. Got this out w a wire brush.

20190315-112126.jpg

Edited by Jeff O

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Getting away from Remington .22 is always a good idea. The forcing cone on that gun may need to be recut as well. Clean it good and shoot different ammo (CCI or Federal) and you will find out. All the .22 I've shot is dirty regardless of brand.

Ordered some CCI Mini Mags and some Federal Auto Match.

5 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

At the forcing cone. A .22 boresnake wouldn't go through. Got this out w a wire brush.

Just double check to make sure you dont have a timing issue , where the cylinder isnt lining up with the barrel forcing cone before firing, this could cause excessive lead shaving and have alot of build up at forcing conee

On 3/17/2019 at 11:56 AM, alecmc said:

Shot it today w Mini Mags and Aguila - no issues. 10 out of 10 shots in the head circle of an IDPA target. Plate rack piece of cake. Better than the shotgun groups I was getting with the "crap". 😁

I've had my 617 with a full Apex work-over, (including the hammer) for about 4 years now. Works like a champ with any ammo.

It's my favorite revolver to shoot.

Jeff O- Give the Thunderbolt to someone you don't like. 

Amazingly, although dirty, Thunderbolt runs 100% in my 10/22, Thompson TC R22 and 22/45. Many wins in SCSA. Federal Auto Match worked great so I bought 10K.

Edited by Jeff O