Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powders

mike4045

I wanted to know if anyone is using V V 320 or 3n37 for 40 loads. I recently picked some up at an estate sale very cheap and would like to use it. I am shooting a Glock 35.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike4045

VV320 is a fairly quick powder.  Many warn against using fast powders (high pressure) in the glocks due to the fact that the Glocks have a relatively loose chamber...not a lot of case support.  

I think some shooters on GlockTalk are using VV320.  I would think that lead bullets would be out of the question.  Could be a good load for IDPA or Production at a lower power factor.

Virtually everyone at the top of USPSA limited (165PF) uses N320 in the 40. Caution noted on loose or partially supported Glock chambers and the 40 SW. What bullet weight d you plan to use? Fast powders are more problematic with 200s than the 180s. You are safer in terms of pressure with the single base powders from VV (like 320) than with an equally fast powder like straight Clays.

I believe 3N37 is primarily used in 9mm cases - thought it was originally a 22LR powder? Have not tried it in .40 - anyone else?

I used 3N37 in my 40 for 3 years. Works great. Switched to 320 last year and perceived recoil is less. I would be very careful in glock. I saw three or 4 blow up when 40 first came out. People tried to load them with 1911 loads

Of the two, use the 3N37 if you are going to load Major for your Glock. You won't find any load data for N320 (nor N330) and heavy bullets, and there's probably a good reason.

I used 3N37 in .40S&W until USPSA dropped the power factor. (I even won my class at the nationals with it.) It's soft with 200 gr bullets. I still might use it if I had to load SAAMI-length, like for a Glock.