Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Mosquito

Chris iliff

Often thought about getting a .22 for cheap economical practice, but never really liked the choices out there. Anyways, I was in a gun store and noticed the Sig Mosquito. Seems like a nice .22. Similiar to the S&W M&P in looks. I handled it and it felt good and was wondering if anybody had any experience with it? The model I handled was the Sport. I liked the fact that it looks like a gun and not a Star Wars toy like some of the .22 pistols out there. Anybody got any info on this gun, I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.

Edited to say: I msspelled Mosquito in my search quest before I posted this. Since then, the wife has corrected my spelling and I found what I was looking for with a new search. Of course, feel free to post your thoughts on this pistol. I should have known to ask the wife first :rolleyes: !

Edited by fourtrax

I bought one a year or so ago... I no longer own it though. It did feel like a gun and it looked good. The front sight was interchangable with three options. My problem was that that hammer followed the slide. I ended up sending it back in to Sig, who informed me that it just needed cleaned. Even after a thorough cleaning, it continued to do so with the usual cheap .22 ammo.

What I later found out was that it needed CCI mini mag to perform with any reliability. It frustrated me, and I got rid of it.

My father has a Ruger Mk III with the bull barrel, which is hands down a better gun. Yeah... it looks weird, but it'll shoot just about any .22 ammo, and it is darn accurate. Also is easy to mount optics on. Price wise, it's about the same, but definitely seems heavier than the sig.

Just my thoughts.

I bought two Mosquitos a couple of years ago - one for each son.

Over time, I've had a few issues - manual safety came loose (was told a bad batch of locktite - Sig fixed no charge), changed the front sight (went taller to hit POA) and went to the heavy spring.

Also found they are very picky on the ammo they like. I have heard .22s are picky like this, but have no others to compare to. I did some testing with about 14 different makes / models (including the highly recommended CCI Minimag) and found Remington Thunderbolt to work the best. My guns didn't like the Minimags that well. Buy different types to see what works the best.

Since I use a P226 in USPSA Production, I use them for cheap practice. Don't know if they are helping me any, but fun to shoot.

They are not my 226, but serve their purpose - good beginner guns, cheap & fun to shoot, look/feel/operate similar to other Sigs.

For the $$ and headaches you will be much better served with either a dedicated 22 like the Ruger 22/45 or the Browning Buckmark.

Not knowing what your primary gun is, the best solution would be a 22 upper conversion ie. advantage arms, tacsol, ceiner, STI etc.

For the $$ and headaches you will be much better served with either a dedicated 22 like the Ruger 22/45 or the Browning Buckmark.

Not knowing what your primary gun is, the best solution would be a 22 upper conversion ie. advantage arms, tacsol, ceiner, STI etc.

+1

I wanted to get one because it was a "Sig", but after shooting one at the range (even with CCI Stingers), I decided to forget about it. Too bad, I like Sig and have a 228. Maybe, one day, they'll make a .22 conversion for that one.

I intially bought one when they came out, for a trainer for my PD folks as we carry Sigs....I sent it back after 3 range sessions.....light strikes on GOOD ammo, FTF, I lost my ass on that gun and 5 mags for what I paid for everything....I think I would look at the 22 kits/guns they are putting out rather than the Mosquito.....my experience....

DougC

I bought the "Tactical Trainer" model with the camo finish, threaded barrel and fake suppressor. No problems when I shot mini mags, I polished up the hammer and the internal breech block and it now shoots most high velocity ammo.

Come to think of it, if you're looking for one, I'm getting ready to sell mine to buy an M&P Pro. Shoot me a PM, it has 3 spare mags with it.

ganderman

+1

I wanted to get one because it was a "Sig", but after shooting one at the range (even with CCI Stingers), I decided to forget about it. Too bad, I like Sig and have a 228. Maybe, one day, they'll make a .22 conversion for that one.

Have you guys checked out the new Sig P226 (+ a couple others) 22lr version and then do top swaps for 9, 40, 357 ? Sure looks like a nice setup, but I don't know anything other than what i see on their website.

JimInFL

I'd stay away from the Mosquito. The .22LR conversion kits would be a much better choice if you already have a P220, P226, or P229 frame.

+1. My dad and I both bought mosquito's last fall thinking they would be great for practice since we could actually watch the sights rock unlike ruger Mk II's or S&W 22A's. They were picky about ammo and didn't run very well at all. I sold mine in december and my dad finally sold his last month. They're neat toys, but that's about it.