Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Look Again: 1,000,000th Post Celebration

benos

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadness - I missed it. (I was thinking more like this afternoon.)

But YEA! Quite a milestone.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

But the real sadness, for now, is, it's proving to be very tricky to determine who made the millionth post. Because the post count on the forum's home page doesn't jive with the post count in the forum's database.

If you click on the little "Post #xxx" in the upper, right hand corner of every post, and look at the last digits in the link (displayed in the pop-up window), you see way more posts than are displayed on the forum's home page.

Example: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1028359

The current theory is that the forum home page post count is the total posts made, minus the total posts that were deleted. (The forum has a "Trash Can" where deleted posts from the main forum remain.

I'm submitting a ticket to IP to see of they can help me.

I'll be back...

be

"If you click on the little "Post #xxx" in the upper, right hand corner of every post, and look at the last digits in the link (displayed in the pop-up window), you see way more posts than are displayed on the forum's home page."

If you go by the "Post #xxx" thing, the 1M post was on June 16th about 1pm because I found this post as 999998.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=999998

Edited by STI2011

As I was typing that BigJoni would draw the winner from the top 3 nominees this afternoon... a feeling in my gut felt wrong. So we talked it out, and here's what we're going to do.

As a small token of appreciation for their MASSIVE contribution to The Forums, BrianEnos.com will donate an RL 550B/Dies to G-man, Howard, and Sam.

If it isn't something they need, they can sell it to buy primers, or do something fun with it - whatever they want.

And then for today only, from the BIG 3, the members can vote for their favorite member.

I'll start the poll in a second.

be

I've been watching the daily post count since near the beginning of the year. It consistently averages between 620 - 650 posts/day. Which equals about 2.2 - 2.5 post/minute. For almost 10 years now. That's pretty cool.

be

I believe he just manipulated the http address where it stipulates the post number.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...findpost&p=1028441 the bolded and underlined can be change to find any post.

Ah - silly me. Silly because I did that in the past. But I guess in all the excitement today, I forgot about it.

Thanks.

be

I believe he just manipulated the http address where it stipulates the post number.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1028441 the bolded and underlined can be change to find any post.

The slight problem with that method is that it requires you to know the topic number AND the post number. I was able to find the correct syntax by doing an advanced search and selecting the Result Type as Show Results as Posts. Hovering over the Post Preview gives you the URL for getting to a single post without the topic number. I right-clicked (using IE), copied shortcut, then editted to get 1000000.

Now if I could shoot like I type....

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Cool! How the hell did you find that?

He took the URL you see displayed when you click on the post number and edited it (I was going to do the same basic thing via the SQL command line). This is the millionths row added to the "posts" table (even though there are some vacancies - probably deletions), so I think it's reasonable to call this the millionth post.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1028441 the bolded and underlined can be change to find any post.

The slight problem with that method is that it requires you to know the topic number AND the post number. I was able to find the correct syntax by doing an advanced search and selecting the Result Type as Show Results as Posts. Hovering over the Post Preview gives you the URL for getting to a single post without the topic number. I right-clicked (using IE), copied shortcut, then editted to get 1000000.

Now if I could shoot like I type....

Thanks.

I had a feeling you might say something like that, based on your Display Name.

;)

As I was typing that BigJoni would draw the winner from the top 3 nominees this afternoon... a feeling in my gut felt wrong. So we talked it out, and here's what we're going to do.

As a small token of appreciation for their MASSIVE contribution to The Forums, BrianEnos.com will donate an RL 550B/Dies to G-man, Howard, and Sam.

If it isn't something they need, they can sell it to buy primers, or do something fun with it - whatever they want.

And then for today only, from the BIG 3, the members can vote for their favorite member.

I'll start the poll in a second.

be

Class, all class !! :cheers::cheers:

From a ticket I have going with IP:

I'd like to know why the forum's home page just displayed that we hit our one millionth post this morning, when, by the post counts that match the posts, we had our millionth post in mid-June.

It kind of takes the wind out our celebration today.

My only guess is that the forum's home page post count subtracts posts that have been deleted/moved to the Trash Can?

So what I'd really like to know is - who made our millionth post, today, as displayed by the forum's home page post count.

That question may not be able to be answered. Because we would need to know how many posts were in the Trash Can at the moment today's post count hit 1,000,000 (on the forum's home page).

If that turns out to be the case, it looks like Spray_N_Pray may be our 1,000,000th poster. :)

be

Just thought I should point out that Spray_N_Prey's post was on June 16. But, g34's thread in the other link was posted today. Hmmm. At any rate, thanks to Brian, Flex, all the mods, and the forum's top 3 contributors for making this such a great place.

I got this reply from IP on my "who really made the 1 millionth post" ticket:

Hello,

The SQL database is an incremental count.. it counts deleted posts, everything. It never reuses a number.. If a post is deleted.. That posts number is not reused. That's the only one out of all of them that can be 100% totally dead on accurate. But, it's also the least 'acceptable' of all of them, in my opinion.. Because people can spam post, lie cheat and steal to bump the totals up..

The forum post count, that you see at the bottom of the screen, is more of an 'active' post count.. That discounts deleted posts.. It also does not count queued posts. That is a count of live posts on the forum at any given moment, and is a fluid number.

What you count as the one millionth post is up to you.. Some people go strictly by the database pid count.. Others use the floating count, excluding the queued posts, which I tend to feel is probably the most accurate so far as being a 'true' count. So long as you're not a constant post cleaner.

All in all.. It's really just an excuse to have some fun, isn't it?

So, just be happy. Get as accurate as you can to it, and have fun with it. Pull two names out.. One who was the millionth post by number, and one who was 1 million by actual post count. So long as it's just the thrill of being the millionth poster involved.. That way you have two happy people.

Jason

IPS Support

To which I replied:

Thanks for the detailed reply Jason.

I can't think of how to figure this out:

...and one who was 1 million by actual post count.

Thank you,

Brian