Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which loctite to use?

Jimdoe

What's the best loctite to use to tighten guide rods? I was at summer shootout about two weeks ago and didn't even notice that it started unscrewing. I became aware of it a few days after that when the rod was sticking out a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch out. I've been using this blue loctite for pretty much anything. Either I didnt use enough of it or its heat tolerance is way below than the handgun. The gun is a 40 limited by the way and I was shooting major load. So, imagine if the whole thing came off. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim.

What's the best loctite to use to tighten guide rods? I was at summer shootout about two weeks ago and didn't even notice that it started unscrewing. I became aware of it a few days after that when the rod was sticking out a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch out. I've been using this blue loctite for pretty much anything. Either I didnt use enough of it or its heat tolerance is way below than the handgun. The gun is a 40 limited by the way and I was shooting major load. So, imagine if the whole thing came off. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim.

I would try green. It seems to be the strongest one that is still pretty easy to loosen.

If that makes sense...

I keep red and blue on hand. The red is somewhat permananet. It will only release at temperatures above 400 F. The blue will usually break without applying heat. It helps to clean the two parts with brake cleaner to get all the oil and grease off them before applying Loctite.

I keep red and blue on hand. The red is somewhat permananet. It will only release at temperatures above 400 F. The blue will usually break without applying heat. It helps to clean the two parts with brake cleaner to get all the oil and grease off them before applying Loctite.
Which would you recommend for a set screw in my rear sight? I have lost one already. Is blue strong enough?

TO the OP:

I would not use green unless you never want to take it apart again.

That's exactly what I want. I rather have something not coming off than worrying about it at a major match. I might purchase a one piece guide rod later on but I just need a quick and durable fix for now. Which brands or type do you guys use/prefer?

JThompson is correct, and he means never taking it apart again! You'll have one helluva time getting it out once you do get the one-piece! We use the green to keep comps from coming loose, and they stay put forever. Don't put the green stuff on that guide rod or you may never get it out of the gun!!

Alan~^~

TO the OP:

That's exactly what I want. I rather have something not coming off than worrying about it at a major match. I might purchase a one piece guide rod later on but I just need a quick and durable fix for now. Which brands or type do you guys use/prefer?

If you never want it off Loctite 290 (green) will do it. If blue didn't work for you go to red, even that will take heat to get apart.

Edited by JThompson

TO the OP:

Silver solder and you will have a one piece rod.

I use blue loctite for everything gun related because it can be removed when needed.I understand there are cases where the red should be used but for me the blue pretty much holds the way I want it too.

One of the previous posters mentioned cleaning with brake cleaner. IMHO that is the key to having thread locking compounds work. They must be clean, oil free and dry. I use alcohol but brake cleaner or any other good solvent will do (I use alky because it won't dissolve any plastics it may come in contact with). Be sure that once the grease or oil has been removed from both male and female threads to let it dry good. Usually cleaning with any solvent that evaporates will cause moisture to condense on the pieces. Wet parts usually don't loctite well.

fwiw

dj