Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

j1b

Inspired by this: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85801

I escaped from moving for two hours and shot three rounds of skeet.

First round, I missed the high bird in the pair on station one, but shot decent after that. Ended up with a 22 and thought to myslef that wasn't too bad given I haven't shot in a bit. Jump on the line again, and miss on station one again! Get a little pissed but feel like I can salvage the round - shoot another 22!

Round three comes around, and I finally escape station one clean - recognizing there really isn't anything tough about station one. Go to station two, miss the high house on the pair. I'm pretty angry, miss the high house at the next station because I really just could have left at that point. Decided to pull it together though, learn from every shot. Am on my way to at least salvaging my best round and having a 23 - but nope. I decide to miss the low house on station 8 - first time I've missed that target in a while. So I stack on another 22.

Strange how the 22 on round 1 was encouraging, and the 22 on round 3 was so dissappointing.

Renee inspired me though. I gotta keep working!

Jack

If you can shoot a 22, you can shoot a 25.

Never give up on low 6 and remember that station 8 is fun.

I had to switch to starting low gun / International style to allow me to see more. After 6-8 months of low gun, I cant shoot high gun at all.

• 2 months later...

Frustrating, but in the long run, better to shoot consistently and move up from there.

If you shot a 25 and then an 18, back and forth....that makes your "head explode"....mentally of course. :blink:

I agree it is much easier to see the target in skeet with the gun down.

Edited by Irishlad

• 4 weeks later...

Got out for the first time since this OP today.

Man what fun. It's the first chance I've had to shoot in a LONG while. Shot 4 rounds. I don't really remember all the scores. Had no misses today from station 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I did have several misses on station two high house. Actually, as I think about this, I don't think I missed a low house today either.

So my first round was a 21. Second round I shot 23. The third was 20 or 21. And then the fourth was 21 or 22.

All in all just fun. You can't shoot once every four months and expect to clean runs. Or at least I can't.

I had a blast though. Clear skies, birds were flying fun. Shotgun felt good, and I really enjoy shooting this shotgun. I wish I shot it more.

I like it when a day is fun. When you can focus on shooting and score but it doesn't make or break the day. And I like that I wasn't so rusty that I just completely sucked. I was a little rusty, but all in all if I went to shoot tomorrow I would feel like 25 was possible. More importantly, I didn't feel like I was starting out at ground level.

Fun fun!

Jack

Got out for the first time since this OP today.

Man what fun. It's the first chance I've had to shoot in a LONG while. Shot 4 rounds. I don't really remember all the scores. Had no misses today from station 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I did have several misses on station two high house. Actually, as I think about this, I don't think I missed a low house today either.

So my first round was a 21. Second round I shot 23. The third was 20 or 21. And then the fourth was 21 or 22.

All in all just fun. You can't shoot once every four months and expect to clean runs. Or at least I can't.

I had a blast though. Clear skies, birds were flying fun. Shotgun felt good, and I really enjoy shooting this shotgun. I wish I shot it more.

I like it when a day is fun. When you can focus on shooting and score but it doesn't make or break the day. And I like that I wasn't so rusty that I just completely sucked. I was a little rusty, but all in all if I went to shoot tomorrow I would feel like 25 was possible. More importantly, I didn't feel like I was starting out at ground level.

Fun fun!

Jack

I stand corrected. In the third round I missed both singles on station 5. Really off that round - had a miss on 2, 3,4 (all high houses) and the two on 5. So I wasn't clean on that station today, and that was my only miss on a low house today.

It is what it is, but even if for my own account I wanted something accurate represented. Lord knows I wasn't accurate with the shotgun, so at least me recalling the day should be :roflol:

Edited by j1b

I believe I read once that high 2 was the most commonly missed bird, I can say I have missed my share of them.

I start with my gun pointed about 12-15' away from the house and my eyes focused about 8' out, if I focus any closer to the house my peripheal vision does not have the chance to come into play. Therefore I will lose the bird and have to play catchup with my eyes to find it again.

Just a tip that helped me understand the game.

Picture the field as two seperate areas, using a line from station 4 to the center post. All singles need to be broken before they cross the line and your gun should be starting to reverse it's path as the second bird of a pair cross's the line.

Actually I believe the the saying goes if you can break 24 you can run 25 since the last bird is a repeat.

I do understand your pain, I was stuck at 22-23 for along time. For some reason the day I got my first 25 I did it three times. Skeet is a game of consistency.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Twas a beautiful day in PA today - so I decided a little skeet was in order.

Decided to shoot low gun today, per some comments on this thread and because I continue to think about international skeet a bit.

I shot well today. No 25's, but three 23's and then a goof around 21. On round 4 I missed the low house on the double at station one, and once that was done the round just didn't matter. Basically shot doubles on everything else - because we could.

It was fun though, a great way to enjoy a sunny beautiful day.

Jack

It was also a beautiful day in NY. We won't get many more like it for a good while.

Thoroughly enjoyed a round of sporting clays. Walking the path thru the woods, sunshine and fresh air, kibitzing with friends, AND busting a few clay targets.

Thing I really like about sporting clays, is that every course is different, and most clubs change their setups often. You rarely shoot the exact same course twice. Kind of the IPSC of the shotgun sports. Its not impossible for something unexpected to cause you to change your plan while the birds are in the air. Perfect scores are rare.

I should search your posts to find out if you've tried it, but if you have not, I really recommend you give sporting clays a run.

edited to add

OOPS!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82649

:lol:

Edited by wide45

i dunno, i cant shoot last station TO SAVE MY LIFE.

i have even walked up the lane shooting to try and wean myself into the angle to know where the dang pattern is shooting.

i normally take my option on station 4 to get it out of the way.

normally can squeak out an 18-20, but can always count on missing those last 2.

eventually ill hit those pesky clays.

i have even walked up the lane shooting to try and wean myself into the angle to know where the dang pattern is shooting.

Not to sound disrespectful, but I find station 8, in general, as relatively easy. In American skeet I basically count those two (someday 3) birds as guaranteed.

4 and 5 are my opportunity stations. Station 1 is no problem, and if I focus stage 2 isn't that big a deal. 3 is ok. 4 and 5 make or break the round for me. 6 can be challenging, most specifically on the high house (double or single). 7 and 8 I consider done. If I'm at 18 birds coming into station 7 I can only believe 25 is in my future.

Jack

Jack,

It's easy to shoot in front of high house #2.

It's also easy to ride it too long then end up stopping the gun right as you shoot.

Let the bird fly for a little before moving the gun at all. Then with a smooth, compact move blot it out and smash it.

;)

Jack,

It's easy to shoot in front of high house #2.

It's also easy to ride it too long then end up stopping the gun right as you shoot.

Let the bird fly for a little before moving the gun at all. Then with a smooth, compact move blot it out and smash it.

;)

Per your suggestion in another thread I shot all low gun and I honestly believe it helped.

Couple of times I had to "remount" in a pair because I hadn't practiced enough. But I did feel like it caused me to focus on the bird first, and then the shotgun was just there to break it.

Thanks!

Jack

Not to sound disrespectful, but I find station 8, in general, as relatively easy. In American skeet I basically count those two (someday 3) birds as guaranteed.

4 and 5 are my opportunity stations. Station 1 is no problem, and if I focus stage 2 isn't that big a deal. 3 is ok. 4 and 5 make or break the round for me. 6 can be challenging, most specifically on the high house (double or single). 7 and 8 I consider done. If I'm at 18 birds coming into station 7 I can only believe 25 is in my future.

Jack

no disrespect at all my friend

believe me i have armor for thick skin, aint much you can say to rattle me :cheers:

ill get it one of these days.

Per your suggestion in another thread I shot all low gun and I honestly believe it helped.

Couple of times I had to "remount" in a pair because I hadn't practiced enough. But I did feel like it caused me to focus on the bird first, and then the shotgun was just there to break it.

Thanks!

Jack

Yes, you see the bird much better shooting low gun. Once you shoot low gun for a while you'll never go back.

For all shots, don't move the gun until you see a specific part of the bird clearly in focus. Or - don't "move on the blur."

be

• 2 weeks later...

Went out today.

Some might know I broke my first 25 last week. This week started off well. My first round I went 25. Technically that's 50 in a row . . .

That was great. But then I kind of sucked the rest of the day. Second round was a 23, the third round was a 22 and then I wrapped it up with a very solid 20.

Frustrating - I wish I had been more consistent today.

J

Frustrating - I wish I had been more consistent today.

Shoot each target the same way, every time - like you've never seen that target before.

Or another good way - like it's the last target you'll ever shoot.

be