Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squeaky 650

I wish my 650 cycled more smoothly. There's a squeak/rub/vibration that can be felt through the handle. Occurs just after starting the downstroke. From feeling where the vibration is strongest, appears to be coming from the camming pin and case insert slide cam. They are adjusted according to the dillon manual and lubed with grease. Thanks for the help.

Edited by chickenfried

Remove the cam and case plunger, then cycle the handle. Generally, nylon on aluminum doesn't squeek. More likely a pivot pin needs grease, as this is more likely to affect smoothness of the stroke. :ph34r:

Had the exact same issue with my machine assumed it was the case slider. But as dillon suggests lube all pivot points. I removed the cam and plunger as dillon says and it did not go away.

I never did find out which exact one it was, cause I lubed eveything. Start at the bottom of the shaft and crank and work up from there. Ensure the lube points at the top of the link arms get some as well.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar problwm, except when I raise the handle (shell plate going down), I get the vibration. I removed the case insert slide cam, raised and lowered the handle several times, and there was no vibration. Replaced the case insert slide cam, and the vibration returned. This is my third case insert slide since I bought the press used; the last two broke apart. Seemed like the press started dragging a little, and before I could identify the problem the insert slide just broke.

I don't think the vibration is coming from the link pins, but I could be wrong.

Any different ideas?

I don't have the roller handle. I too have lubed everything, even cleaned, checked, and lubed the main shaft link pin, and lubed the linkage pins. No sign of galling, or being dry, it still squeaks. Observed the machine operating, and the only place and time it squeaks, is when the platform is lowering, and the cam pin, and case slide are in contact. Are there any other possibilities, or does anyone make a cam pin with a roller in the cam end?

BeltFed,

Your are not alone, I also have this trougle on one of my two 650's.

I suppose I could start changing parts over from one machine to he other and see if noise moves?

Watching this thread looking for the cure.

Fred

Edited by BE Fred

Does the vibration still happen if you are not actually loading with the shellplate full? At some point one of my powder measures started vibrating while the failsafe rod was returning the powder slide, so I was getting vibration only when actually loading ammo (thus cycling the powder measure). Dumped the powder out and took apart the linkage on the powder measure, cleaned it all and regreased, vibration went away.

My biggest concern is damage to the press and parts and/or premature wear. If the vibration doesn't harm the press or effect the quality of the reloads, then I can live with it.

I would just hate to have to stop and repair my machine in the middle of my upcoming reloading session. I've got about 3-4,000 rounds, or more of .223 to load.

• 3 weeks later...