Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Alternative" IDPA Matches

Ontarget

We had a jr shooter show up and use a 22 for a match. Thought it was a pretty cool idea. I am planning to shoot a few with mine. Too many people worry about the rules. If there are no jr shooters coming up, there will be no new shooters to replace the older ones.

sorry if this is close to what someone else has posted, I did skip through more than half of the posts, but if your going to run "fun matches", DO NOT call it IPSC or IDPA style, call it a "fun match" or "action pistol" or "outlaw".

1. Your going to have some shooters maybe show up that actually do follow the rules of IPSC or IDPA and might be a little pissed off when you start making up your own rules.

2. It's cheating IPSC / IDPA by using their name and not by paying your dues.

3. it WILL confuse new shooters into thinking they know the rules of that type of disipline and then when they get to a real IPSC / IDPA match might just find themselves going home early (DQ) or hard feelings because of the different rules, etc..

My local club puts on a "fun shoot" that they use to call "ipsc type shooting" and I was very much against that and now it's a fun shoot action pistol. Not every club wants to join uspsa/idpa and that's fine, just don't plegerize their name. (our club also has a monthly USPSA match, the fun shoot is weekly).

Edited by Spray_N_Prey

Has anyone participated in non-competitive "alternative" style IDPA Matches? The one I know of in Pennsylvania is described as "run and gun IPSC" style match using IDPA rules. (Mostly this means high round count stages.) Some other possibilites: an all .22 caliber match, with draw either from holster or low ready. Or a pistol caliber carbine match. What "alternative style" IDPA matches have you participated in or do you think would be possible? Thank you.

I have shot at the "Run and Gun Challenge" at Ontelaunee in PA when Peryy ran it and had a good time. It was not billed as IPSC or anything else. There were a set of rules that were published IN ADVANCE. Among other published rules, Two hits per target, time scoring and a penalty for a miss. Saul Kirsch even shot there once. I have not shot the match this year though.

I also shot an IDPA type match at another club that will remail nameless on this forum. I will not go back.

Mike

Has anyone participated in non-competitive "alternative" style IDPA Matches? The one I know of in Pennsylvania is described as "run and gun IPSC" style match using IDPA rules. (Mostly this means high round count stages.) Some other possibilites: an all .22 caliber match, with draw either from holster or low ready. Or a pistol caliber carbine match. What "alternative style" IDPA matches have you participated in or do you think would be possible? Thank you.

these guys in Memphis have a friday night league that do a good job,for a non idpa shoot,which is really like an idpa shoot,they'll just tell you during the walk thru what needs done then you decide whether you want to retain the mags or not..plus they add the COF descriptions when they post the scores..plus i like their Customer sataisfaction Motto: We're not happy ..until you're not happy.. :cheers: good group of guys to shoot with...http://www.rrmemphis.com/rm7-17-09.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
I believe the thrust of the argument here is against clubs or ranges that don't adhere to the Rule Book at all - probably because they're never read or even seen it - while still advertising their matches as "IDPA". Clubs that run IDPA matches per the Rule Book but occasionally offer something different, while letting everyone know ahead of time that's what they're doing, are a completely different matter.

+1

Don't call it IDPA and have fun. I know I'd be there.