Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here's my airsoft plate rack

MemphisMechanic

I think I just lost my message so I will try again.

I am trying to post some of the targets I have made so far in the hope they will

help some one who is trying to come up with targets.

Here goes the first two.

jk

post-25593-097958500 1306695899_thumb.jp

post-25593-070170900 1306695929_thumb.jp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are the reactive Ipsic target photos.

This should show how to do this one.

Bend your metal strip to sandwhich the carboard at the botom of the window and cut to size.

I used reinforced packing tape for a hinge and it seems to work.

jk

post-25593-012041700 1306696048_thumb.jp

post-25593-087393100 1306696769_thumb.jp

post-25593-018212600 1306696786_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I made a plate rack a few months ago for my KSC Glock 19, its a hoot.

Never thought about the lawnmower driveby, though.. neat idea!

Here is a video I made of my Plate Rack. The total effort from buying the hinges to finished and shooting at it too about 2 hrs. I could have painted it, etc, but I really just wanted to shoot it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You did a heck of a job here, how much did it end up costing you?

Plates are 3.75" dia 16-gauge steel, tack-welded to cheap Home Depot hinges.

I used drywall screws for the sensitivity adjustment.

The shop rags are there to dampen vibrations, so that one plate falling wouldn't cause it's neighbor to drop with it. Turns out it wasn't needed. Unlike a real plate rack, the plates are far too light in relation to the rack, and it works fine when they drop directly onto the 2x4.

It's fun. Trust me. :D

• 1 year later...

Thanks for putting this up. I found a seller on ebay that does custom metal fabrication since I can't really do much on my own, and he gave me a quote of 3.85 each for plain round plates, 4" diameter, made of stainless steel. They have a CNC plasma cutter machine so they can make pretty much any shape so I'm going to try to get a basic plate rack up and going and will move on other more interesting shapes.

Since I can't weld would something like JB weld or a super strong epoxy be suitable for connecting the plates to the hinges?

I like the electrical cover plates. It never occurred to me to look for something like that. How thick is the metal?

They are 1.2mm - about 0.05" - thick. They don't get dented or marked by .28g BBs from my Tanfoglio Limited Custom CO2.

• 1 month later...

Since I can't weld would something like JB weld or a super strong epoxy be suitable for connecting the plates to the hinges?

I just finished a plate rack using the same hinges as the OP but I don't know how to weld and don't have access to a welder. Originally I tried the 2 part Gorilla Glue clear epoxy. After they had dried I noticed that I put one hinge on backwards. It really wasn't that hard to break the hinge off the plate. For airsoft, it would have held up for a while but would have failed probably sooner rather than later. So I broke them all apart and reglued them using JB Weld. I couldn't break them if I tried. The metal would bend before the epoxy broke.

So long story short - Yes JB Weld works great in place of welding.

• 7 months later...

got bored over the summer down with a shoulder surgery, build a bunch of poppers in a couple different sizes and 2 plate racks. has been great practice since the shoulder couldn't take the recoil. here is a video of some of the targets.

got bored over the summer down with a shoulder surgery, build a bunch of poppers in a couple different sizes and 2 plate racks. has been great practice since the shoulder couldn't take the recoil. here is a video of some of the targets.

Nobody says anything about those airsoft BBs rolling down the street? :lol:

I do like those poppers.

• 3 months later...

My wife is gonna be soooo pissed. Our basement is gonna be coated in bb's lol

Great stuff guys lots of good info in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also shoot in the basement. I try to use stuffed cardboard boxes, foam, baffles, hanging sheets etc. I still get flyers - about 1-2% - but it is bearable.

• 5 months later...

Pink foam makes an *awesome backstop*. Just picked up a few airsoft equivalents of my real steel for practice, was going to do the towel trick, then realized I had spare foam from another project, thought I'd give it a shot (so to speak)..

Have put a couple thousand .25-.30gr into a 2x4' slab of 2" thick "Foamular 250". Have picked up a dozen off the floor afterwards.

The Tokyo Marui pistols running green gas have enough power at 12 yards that they don't bounce, just go through the paper target I've taped on, and embed in the foam up to a few BBs deep.

The WE G35 is a little slower, so get an occasional bounce towards the end of a mag.

Here's a pointer: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-250-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Tongue-and-Groove-Foam-5D/202080950

HD didn't carry it at the stores around San Jose, but I found a local distributor who was really great, sold me a couple sheets at a decent price and helped me cut it into 2x4' sections so I could fit it into my car.

• 11 months later...

absolutely love it. some nut at our club thought it was OK to shoot the plate rack with an AK. It was sooo much fun. he proceeded to put holes in the rest of the plates. that was 4 months ago. we are still waiting for replacement parts. Thanks to you it will be 177 air in the back yard thank you for sharing your design