Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here's my airsoft plate rack

MemphisMechanic

Plates are 3.75" dia 16-gauge steel, tack-welded to cheap Home Depot hinges.

I used drywall screws for the sensitivity adjustment.

The shop rags are there to dampen vibrations, so that one plate falling wouldn't cause it's neighbor to drop with it. Turns out it wasn't needed. Unlike a real plate rack, the plates are far too light in relation to the rack, and it works fine when they drop directly onto the 2x4.

It's fun. Trust me. :D

post-11460-1247282786_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1247282795_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1247282807_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1247282817_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1247282826_thumb.jpg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't buy a 34 because the 17 was tough to find... and the 34 was impossible.

I'm happy with my decision. At least half the weight is in the magazine - the gas cylinder is in the mag, and it has to be thick metal to hold hundreds of PSI. So the gun is tail-heavy. 3/4" more length wouldn't make a difference in the balance, since the featherweight slide is a fraction of the weight of a real Glock's.

So whether you get a 17 or a 34, it still won't balance right - even though the overall weight is pretty close once you load a magazine.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 7 months later...

Nope, no welding. What makes you ask?

I'll measure the plate spacing tonight and post later, but it's just the normal spacing on the 3-plate rack, continued with two more single plates. I did install the two little optional rubber clips - you can get them from BAM as extras if you know to ask for them - one on each side of every plate (ten total) to hold them in place so the spacing stays the same rather than letting them slide side-to-side.

Plates are 3.75" dia 16-gauge steel, tack-welded to cheap Home Depot hinges.

I used drywall screws for the sensitivity adjustment.

The shop rags are there to dampen vibrations, so that one plate falling wouldn't cause it's neighbor to drop with it. Turns out it wasn't needed. Unlike a real plate rack, the plates are far too light in relation to the rack, and it works fine when they drop directly onto the 2x4.

It's fun. Trust me. :D

thats awsome, pretty creative. I like it!

• 7 months later...

This is very creative but I have a question. In America, why do you train in airsoft when ammo and ranges are readily available? Airsoft seems only good for beginners and getting women started in the basics. Please tell me the benefit besides cost.

The question wasn't posed to me but I'll chime in with much respect to the OP.

While ranges and ammo are available, ranges that allow you to draw and fire and that have plate racks available for anyone to practice on are hard to find, at least in my part of the world. We have a plate rack at our club but we have to store it when we aren't using it because the police who share the range love to shoot it with rifles and mess up the plates.

Airsoft allows us to practice in our backyards anytime we want. Also, airsoft is much cheaper than live fire.

Cost and convenience (shoot in your back yard, basement or garage). What more reason do you need...in America?

Why go to a convenience store when a full on grocery store is right down the street? Because it is convenient.

Further...it is pretty fun, too.

Cost and convenience (shoot in your back yard, basement or garage). What more reason do you need...in America?

Why go to a convenience store when a full on grocery store is right down the street? Because it is convenient.

Further...it is pretty fun, too.

Ahhh I understand because I am in the convience store business. But the milk in my store is 2 percent just like at the grocery store. Airsoft just seems like skim milk. :/

- Why would anybody buy water in a bottle?

- I drink skim milk. ;)

- The closest outdoor range to me is over an hour drive, one way.

- I seldom choose to shoot at the indoor range..just 5 minutes away. (because it is stand and shoot. with airsoft, I can shoot our game...at home...while riding on my lawn mower)

Airsoft just seems...

Another thing you haven't experienced directly?

I built a crap-ton of reactive airsoft targets this summer. Had a lot of fun in the back yard and the parking lot at work during lunch. I got 3 guys at work to buy airsoft guns because we had so much fun. I made a couple poppers of different sizes, some tiny metric dudes, a 5 plate rack, and a star. I'll have to go take some pics of them in the basement. I just used what I had in the garage. The plates are .065 aluminum which gets a little deformed after alot of shots, bolts to steel hinges which are then welded to steel angle iron.