Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP

kramer9

I am going to start reloading for my .45 ACP

1. Does brass make a difference, I notice .45 ACP brass out there. Is it really needed

2. Going to be loading a N320 setup, anyone point to good load data?

3. My 650 press is already setup with .40 and I do not think I can use the casefeeder with .45, so I am going to setup my 550B for .45 ACP.

Edited by Singlestack
To remove Ad

1. Does brass make a difference, I notice .45 ACP brass out there. Is it really needed If you are serious about reloading for the 45, then yes brass is needed, unless you are CCI and you could get by with aluminum.

2. Going to be loading a N320 setup, anyone point to good load data? I would really suggest a getting a couple manuals. I have used W321 and Clays. Clean and consistant.

3. My 650 press is already setup with .40 and I do not think I can use the casefeeder with .45, so I am going to setup my 550B for .45 ACP. Good idea, especially since you will eliminate having to swap out primer setup.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Does brass make a difference, I notice .45 ACP brass out there. Is it really needed If you are serious about reloading for the 45, then yes brass is needed, unless you are CCI and you could get by with aluminum.

2. Going to be loading a N320 setup, anyone point to good load data? I would really suggest a getting a couple manuals. I have used W321 and Clays. Clean and consistant.

3. My 650 press is already setup with .40 and I do not think I can use the casefeeder with .45, so I am going to setup my 550B for .45 ACP. Good idea, especially since you will eliminate having to swap out primer setup.

You should be able to use your casefeeder with the 45 I use it on my 650 for just about everything!

1. Does brass make a difference, I notice .45 ACP brass out there. Is it really needed

3. My 650 press is already setup with .40 and I do not think I can use the casefeeder with .45, so I am going to setup my 550B for .45 ACP.

Kramer9,

There is no reason you can't use your 650. You'll need to get some things in order to do it, but it can be done. Since you have two presses, you might as well have a dedicated press for each caliber.

I'll second what Singlestack said about A-merc brass. If you see it, do yourself and everyone else a favor and destroy it. Get rid of it. Throw it away in the garbage.

What bullet are you using? A lot of shooters use N320 with great results and are very happy with it. I don't have any load data for it, but I'm positive that you can find load data for it on this forum or through VV.

If you stick with the 550 to load your .45 ammo, you'd be better off using commercial brass and avoiding military brass such as S&B. .45 ACP is a low pressure round, and I believe you'll do just fine with whatever brass you can get your hands on. I don't believe you can reload steel or aluminum cases.

I can think of three interpretations to your first question so I hope I've answered it for you.

• 1 year later...

First of all, Happy New Year 2011! Second, did you ever find some good N320 data? Everyone says it is on here and I have found very little of it for what I need. I have been looking for over two weeks now. I am shooting MG 200gr flt pnts and there isn't much out there for FMJ N320 data. :wacko:

Are you stuck on N320? I found that 5.0g of Titegroup works really well with the MG 200g JFP in my P220.

Hey thanks for the reply! Yes I am 5 pounds stuck... :D I really do like what is being said about the N320 on BE and it seems as if it will work well in my .40 G23 also. Happy New Year! Kent

Save the N320 for your 40 and go buy some TG for the 45.

Thank you Oh Grumpy One.... :D I always enjoy your post! I have read too many good things about N320 and .45, and I really just want to have one powder at this point. Happy New Year! Kent

Thank you Oh Grumpy One.... :D I always enjoy your post! I have read too many good things about N320 and .45, and I really just want to have one powder at this point. Happy New Year! Kent

I, too, once thought as you do now, my young Padewan. There is no magic powder. Many powders are decent for many caliber/loads, but not great. The only reason I suggest saving the N320 for your 40 is it supposedly works better in 40 than any other powder, and it is a whole lot more expensive than TG.

I started with one powder, tried to make it work with everything (which it would mostly do), but in the end, I have ended up with many different powders, which can turn an ok shooting gun into a great shooting gun. The trick is to find them locally, in small amounts (1 lb) to avoid the hazmat fees, and try them.

It is not a sin to have more than one powder on hand at any given time.... :cheers:

Edited by GrumpyOne

Clays is the only powder for 45ACP.

<_<

A lot of people do like Clays, I personally hated it. I didnt like needing to be at the top of the scale when trying to make major PF and I didnt like the smoke it prodcued. plus it metered terribly through my powder measure. I'm using Titegroup now, and am wanting to try some N320 when i run out of TG.

I have recently encountered some brass that is headstamped CBC. It is manufactured in Brazil and I discard the brass as soon as I discover it. Other than that and Amerc I've had no problems with brass, but beware the stuff that has small primer pockets. Namely Federal NT, Winchester NT, and lately it has been showing up in Fiocchi, CCI Blazer brass, and now Federal.

As for powders, I like Titegroup and HP-38/WW231 for both jacketed and cast bullets.

I, too, once thought as you do now, my young Padewan. There is no magic powder. Many powders are decent for many caliber/loads, but not great. The only reason I suggest saving the N320 for your 40 is it supposedly works better in 40 than any other powder, and it is a whole lot more expensive than TG.

I started with one powder, tried to make it work with everything (which it would mostly do), but in the end, I have ended up with many different powders, which can turn an ok shooting gun into a great shooting gun. The trick is to find them locally, in small amounts (1 lb) to avoid the hazmat fees, and try them.

It is not a sin to have more than one powder on hand at any given time.... :cheers:

I think it is safe to say that in about 7-8 months you will see a post from me saying "WoW! I tried some TG today and boy it sure works great for .45's! Sure glad I thought of that.... :rolleyes:" Kent

For N320 you can look @ http://www.eabco.com/VihtaVuori01.pdf reloading guide.

Thank you Rocice! I have seen before. I am looking for a competitive recipe for a USPSA minor load for my 200gr Montana Gold

Flat Points in my G21. 4.7 of N320 wouldn't even cycle the slide with a #15 recoil spring. I will load up some 4.9 and 5.0 and see how it goes. Happy New Year! Kent

<_<

A lot of people do like Clays, I personally hated it. I didnt like needing to be at the top of the scale when trying to make major PF and I didnt like the smoke it prodcued. plus it metered terribly through my powder measure. I'm using Titegroup now, and am wanting to try some N320 when i run out of TG.

Hey, thank you both for taking the time to reply! I have read on BE that Clays for a .45 minor load works great. Are there two powders with the name of "Clays"? A certain Grumpy One says that TG would work very well for me also... ;)

<_<

Hey, thank you both for taking the time to reply! I have read on BE that Clays for a .45 minor load works great. Are there two powders with the name of "Clays"? A certain Grumpy One says that TG would work very well for me also... ;)

There are THREE powders named "Clays". Straight "CLAYS", International Clays, and Universal Clays. When someone sayd "Clays", they generally mean the first, but you must ask to be sure. The others have changed their names (I think one is just called Universal now, and the other is just called International), but you could probably find all three sitting side by side on the shelf labeled as Universal Clays, International Clays and Clays. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

<_<

There are THREE powders named "Clays". Straight "CLAYS", International Clays, and Universal Clays. When someone sayd "Clays", they generally mean the first, but you must ask to be sure. The others have changed their names (I think one is just called Universal now, and the other is just called International), but you could probably find all three sitting side by side on the shelf labeled as Universal Clays, International Clays and Clays. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

I remember reading that on a post awhile ago and thank you for spelling it out for me!! Cheers, Kent

<_<

I remember reading that on a post awhile ago and thank you for spelling it out for me!! Cheers, Kent

YW! :cheers: