Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Query about Primers...

DougCarden

I am aware of Geo Smith from EGW talking about Doug K. testing his bianchi ammo from the test fixture and finding out that in his particular case, remington primers shot the best group in the bbls he was testing, with just changing primers after working up the load he wanted.  I was preparing "lite" steel loads last weekend and after chronoing the load I realized I needed to bump it up .02 grains for reliability purposes.  and for shits and giggles I loaded up 100rd with fed sm primers and 100 with win sm primers.  I went out and shot the feds first, 4 ftf with the feds and erratic ejection.  I then shot the win primer loaded rounds.  All 100 rounds cycled through the gun without a hitch, with positive ejection on all rounds.  they werent piled up on the ground, but all in the same area.  I obviously loaded my match ammo with the win.  I didnt get to chrono due to mist in the air, but I was only worried about function, not PF.  Has anyone noticed profound variance with primers like this.  Just curious.  I have done this long enough to know that there is possibly something to this, just not smart enough to know what that is......

Welcome to our local GM's special place in Hell.  He is going through the same thing with Win blue box primers (for his Super).  I wish I could tell you something that would make you feel better.  Maybe you should call Federal and let them know they have a bad lot.  

That ain't normal...

E

Eric, the only problem is that I have noticed no problems with the fed's in my Revo loads, they are doing what they are supposed to do with the same chrono numbers as last year, so I cant chalk it up to bad primers.  Just one of those things, I guess.

Could be the fit in the primer pocket?  I think that different primers are of different hardness and of different dementions.  

Double and Triple check to see that the primers are being seated beyond flush.  They need to bottom out in the primer pocket.

Doug,

The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that it is a high primer problem.  The fact that they work in your revolver could be attributed to the energy that the revolver hammer impacts on the primer.  The hammer would have enough energy to seat the primer further into the pocket and still have enough energy left over to ignite the primer.

I could be way off base here.  I am just throwing out ideas to see what sticks.  I don't know if the Federal primers are of a different size (slightly) than the Winchesters.  I do know that Federals and Winchesters are of different hardness.  The Federals are supposed to be the easier of the two to ignite....then there are old style Winchester primers and the new style.  (I am sure someone here knows the differences and can post those facts).

Kyle, thanks for your thoughts.  I load on a 1050 and have the primer depth set, so both are below flush and identical.  I looked at that also, so great minds think alike, right ;0)  Oh Hell, I'm going to the range and just shoot!  Doug

Doug,

Sure you don't just have a weak mainspring?  Primers do differ in "hardness" from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Failure to ignite due to weak spring isn't unheard of.

Hope it works out for you.

E